The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)  (Read 14513 times)

flockshot

Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:46 PM »
we catch the crappies at night out there pretty good...but there are far better walleye lakes close by.. ;)

walleyechaser

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006, 01:15 PM »
We should meet up on the ice one of these days and compare walleye notes.  I agree Pontiac isn't that great for walleyes.  The numbers are good but size isn't there. 
I don't want to mention any of the walleye honey holes where just anyone can read them.  I've had good luck on a few lakes in the waterford area.

walleyechaser

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:20 PM »
where you goin?

walleyechaser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Ok you've got me convinced to give it another shot.
Any good crappies in there?

flockshot

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:30 PM »
ive never done really good(not much of a hard water crappie chaser) but i tried really hard one night when the walleyes werent cooperating...and i didnt do nothin...but earlier this year by the private park and beach..i saw about 20 really nice ones around this guys hole....so i dunno.

walleyechaser

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Pontiac Lake has 1-2" of ice as of last night.  Going to be a couple more days before we can fish that one.
I hope I can find a shallower alternative for tomorrow.

flockshot

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:27 AM »
i just posted in the other one ice report my findings last night at about 9pm...its not looking good...CRESENT. not safe.....PONTIAC...May be by tonight..maybe...LONG. ...This weekend...if were lucky.....OXBOW..depen ds on area..extreme back bay is safe...main lake...eh..no....UNION ....no....MACEDAY....N o....

AND if any one can get a report from big seven in holly that would be cool...or any lake for that matter...dont be stingy

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:41 AM »
IS cresent Lake good for walleye?

flockshot

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:19 AM »
the problems shore ice right now..im sure if you could jump 10 feet almost any lake would be alright....hmmmm....bi g lakes actually a really good idea...i never do real hot..but im dyin to get out...pontiac probably too..but to be totally honest...ive only gone out chasin eyes once there..and i didnt do very good.

walleyechaser

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:14 AM »
You have to think very shallow and at night to catch Pontiac Lake eyes.  I'm talkin 3 feet of water.
one of those lakes you row around and cast either jigs or I make my own weight forward casting crawler harnesses.   Key is quiet and after dark.

Through the ice again you stay shallow and jig.  Once in a while you get them on a tip up.
Another strange thing about Pontiac is the big pike only bite after dark.  During the day its nothing but hammer handles.  But at night you'll get them over 30" consistently.

flockshot

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:23 AM »
wow...because im out there at night alot catching crappies...along any break whatso ever...huge...but never during the day...huh..intresting. .do you use lanterns?....

the crappie like green glo jigs with small minnow..it can be a blood bath..right in that same area your talking about...ill probably see you out there on saturday the way this ice looks.

ill the young guy wearing a big goofy elmerfud style camo hat.max-4

walleyechaser

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:40 AM »
I can only go tomorrow afternoon and night.  Have to take the wife out for Valentines day saturday.  Only good night to get a sitter is saturday.  If you want to meet friday night I'll be in the clam 5600.  I'll have a hunter orange hat on.

Yes we use lanterns.  I like to use the walleye shiners on a plain hook with a bobber for the crappies  Also catch a few with the buckshot rattle spoons.  Only problem with pontiac lake eyes is most of them are sub-legal.  The biggest I've ever caught out of there is 21"  Nothing real big but good eaters when you catch a keeper.   If Pontiac isn't safe I'll be on Long in that first deep hole in front of the launch.  If Long isn't safe then I'll be at the bar.

flockshot

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:45 AM »
lol..alright..ill be seein you on friday...im pretty sure..if i can get away from the ole lady..lol...

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »
You have to think very shallow and at night to catch Pontiac Lake eyes.  I'm talkin 3 feet of water.
one of those lakes you row around and cast either jigs or I make my own weight forward casting crawler harnesses.   Key is quiet and after dark.

Through the ice again you stay shallow and jig.  Once in a while you get them on a tip up.
Another strange thing about Pontiac is the big pike only bite after dark.  During the day its nothing but hammer handles.  But at night you'll get them over 30" consistently.
i usualy get them off the beach launch.  i head out straight, between the consession stand, and bathrooms, go straight out (there will be a small island directly ahead (thats the dropoff in front of that island)  keep heading straight out, keep the big island with the houses on it to your right, walk until youre almost past that island to your right, not quite past it, and youll be in 12 ft of water.  i usually jig spoons, hopkins shorty, or a green swedish pimple, tipped with a minnow head.  the water was open as of 2 days ago, its freezing up nice now.  dont know if its quite safe enough, 2 permanents went half way in off tackles drive side lol
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

walleyechaser

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:06 PM »
I saw those shanties out there last time we were there and I thought the people were crazy to leave them out.

I know exactly where you are talking.  There is a nice flat up there with a sharp drop into the deepest part of the lake.  That is a good early spring location too.  I'm still convinced the old river channel in the narrows is by far the best.

flockshot

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:30 AM »
SEE FIRST POST FOR REPORTS..

im gonna try pontiac tonight...but only if others are out there..i am not going to trailblaze..lol

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:20 AM »
REVISED!!!!!!!REVISED!!!!!REVISED!!!!!! 2/10/06 FRIDAY
did some drivin last night....CRESENT shore ice will hold your weight...but not for long...still to sketchy
LONG-looked like someone fell through right at ramp...cant get out past shoreline...no go.
PONTIAC-getting mixed reviews...main body probably a no go..but channels and tackels area may be ok...I only went out 10 feet and ice was about 3ish
thats its for today...i got to discouraged to check n e where else...please if you know one...post on this thread and ill add it to the report

(safe for me is 3" so when i say unsafe its under that)post your findings and will list them up here on the next update
i saw 2 guys fishing off tackles drive to the right, between the 2 islands.  im so psyched.   ;D  didnt check the ice.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:22 AM »
Drove around cresent lk friday afternnon down by the park some guys shanty is already fallen half way in not gonna chance it there

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:32 AM »
i saw a guy last summer, coming out of the water in one of those float tubes.  he had 2 big walleye, and 2 big crappie.  i asked him what colors he was using, and he just said "bodybaits hmmmm"  and walked away.  i wanted to dropkick him in the back of the head
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Middle Straits Lk had 6" las night. Buddy got 3 rock bass and I lost a glow... still better than listening to the ol' lady b......'   ;)

mud

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:56 AM »
Pontiac Lake - 2.11.06 - Tackles Area - Between the island on the right and the shore - 7.5 inches of ice - one keeper pike on a shiner!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:13 PM »
just got back from union.  4-5 inches of ice.  caught a few nice perch, my cameras batteries are dead  :-[
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Walleyechaser! Where did you end up fishing on union? I'm thinking about heading there tomorrow morning but not sure where to go on that lake. I know right off the boat launch theres a nice deep hole but im not sure if the ice would be safe in that area. Thanks Nate

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2006, 10:05 PM »
Walleyechaser! Where did you end up fishing on union? I'm thinking about heading there tomorrow morning but not sure where to go on that lake. I know right off the boat launch theres a nice deep hole but im not sure if the ice would be safe in that area. Thanks Nate
i went out straight from the launch.  my footprints are the only ones where a sled wasnt being dragged.  good everywhere i walked, almost to the point where the big tree is, across first bay, then the ice cracked, and i turned back. there were quite a few guys out.  make sure you check in front of you though, the shallows are thinner than the deep spots, i think its ok in that whole bay in front of the launch
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:22 AM »
Fished Middle Straits yesterday. Getting on & off was a little spooky but had 5" once out there. I was crowned skunkman for the day but buddies caught some nice perch & gills.

mud

flockshot

« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:38 AM »
i chanced it on cresent and it paid off...couple nice eyes...was out on pontiac on saturday..heard stories about the crappie bite the night before...day late and a dollar short for me.lol..williams lake sunday produced good ice and alot gills..so did oxbow that morning..looks like we've finally got some fishin

Offline fishsl48381

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:51 AM »
i chanced it on cresent and it paid off...couple nice eyes...was out on pontiac on saturday..heard stories about the crappie bite the night before...day late and a dollar short for me.lol..williams lake sunday produced good ice and alot gills..so did oxbow that morning..looks like we've finally got some fishin
hi flockshot, new to the website & would like to say howdy. where on cresent lk do you go to catch walleyes, bait etc. never fished for eyes in the winter & would like to try it. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks...tight lines

flockshot

« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:56 AM »
cant tell you to much...lol....just fish the breaks between deep and shallow water..drop offs are key...do not get sucked into the back bay just becuase thats were everyone is..thats really the best advice i can give you...its slow fishing out there...i fished from 4 till 12 to get those fish..but most i catch are keepers...drop offs..breaks...points. ...around 15-20 feet....thats it..typicall walleye tackel..i dont do much on tips up out there except during the day time....mornings are typicaly better..but be out early....id say theres better lakes for a first time walleye angler to hit...but its worth a shot...try big seven...buy a lake map..and look for good breaks between shallow and deep...ice is still a little scary out there too.(cresent)

walleyechaser

« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Look up the stocking info on the DNR website and it will tell you the numbers for any lake they stock.
Its a wealth of information.  Then its just a matter of finding what lakes the walleyes are thriving in.

Hint not all stocked lakes are good and the ones you think have a lot really don't.

flockshot

« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:12 AM »
you can get lake maps at the same site...do NOT go out without one..and drill tons of holes untill you find what your looking for...2 feet of depth or to the right or left can make the differnce between tightlines and washing lures.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.