The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)  (Read 14512 times)

Offline fishsl48381

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:36 AM »
appreciate the info guy's. while i'm bored here at work i'll check out the dnr site.

walleyechaser

« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:20 AM »
no problem. 

Hey flockshot don't want to steal those guys' thread.

But wanted to say that I can't believe someone would try to take your tip up out of the water.  Thats great a CO ticketed him.   We need more of that.  There is too much harassment that goes on out there.

flockshot

« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:29 AM »
lol ..he was something else...little private lake rose township...my inlaws live it ..but that wasnt enough...i left the tip up out and went in the house to grab something to eat..C.O was sitting in his car doing something when the guy came out and pulled my tip up...i was about to kill somebody when i walked out and seen that..but then i also so the guy being chatted too by the CO...so it all worked out

fishsl48381...i guess the best thing to do is just pound the hell out of the water..i fished cresent 7 times before i had my first walleye on...and i fished another 3 before i landed one...but now its 2out3 nights i go home with something....so be patient...i dont think ive ever showed up to a lake in oakland county and got  a walleye the first day...unless people hear know something i dont...most lakes are going to take some figuring out..and i like to think the walleyes learn to like you..lol

walleyechaser

« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I might just feed my spud to someone if they tried pulling my tip up out.

I agree you have to really learn the lake to catch the walleyes.  Every lake is different and you have to figure out the patterns.  Pontiac Lake has the strangest patterns I've ever seen and can be tough to figure out.
I stumbled upon the night time pattern by luck.  Then I just duplicated it and I'm usually pretty successful out there.  I still haven't figured out Union.  I'm working on that one.  I know there are big walleyes in there but I haven't found them with consistency yet.   I can see them on my camera from time to time.  But they usually are just crusiing through.

flockshot

« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:48 AM »
id love for some more ice reports..theres soooo many lakes i want to get out on..and im jsut too darn chicken to be a trailblazer.
this was supposed to be my winter to pattern a couple lakes...hmmm...looks like im still gonna be clueless.

Offline fishsl48381

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:03 PM »
hey flockshot i feel really dumb, but could you give me the dnr website that shows the stocking & lake maps your talking about. i looked but could'nt find anything.

flockshot

« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:56 PM »
www.michigan.gov/dnr...then click fishing....after that page loads...scrool down and you should see a few links.titled online services..one will say inland lake maps...the other will say fish stocking database...

walleyechaser

« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:10 PM »
I found that buying the maps from Wal-Mart or Gander mountain are a big help.  Each lake has stocking info. population surveys and of course the map.  I bought the books for SE mich and NW mich.  I fish a lot up there because we have a place on the Rapid River.  They are a nice thing for quick reference but they are not always accurate.  then I usually highlight and note the areas where I've had success.

flockshot

« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:13 PM »
i like the pop surveys...alot...they help with what you were saying about the difference in stocking and thriving..

ALSO POST ANY AREA ICE REPORTS..THICKNESS/ACTIVITY...THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:19 PM »
 Out on Union lk saturday, till 9:30 at night, Hooked three walleye & only landed two.
 Ice was 6 inches in the middle,shore line was very thin.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:20 PM »
i use the "fish michigan" map books.they show stocking and surveys of the lake.there is one for the u.p and two for lower mich.they choose what they feel are the top 100 lakes in each book.it also rates each species for catch ratio.gives points of interest and spots to try.explains for each species where to fish and what bait or time of year.gander,franks,and most book stores carry them.20.00 ea. oh yeah also ph#"s to nearest baitshops to each lake also lodging info.nice books. :thumbsup:

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

flockshot

« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:56 PM »
thanks for the report cooley..
and for the info spoonfed...

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:27 PM »
 Fished union from day break to about 2pm. Met a guy out there with out a shanty and it was windy as all hell so i invited him in mine. We were in 36fow and about 50 yards past the first point on the right from the public access. He cought a nice walleye on a tip up and i only cought 2 keeper perch one was 9 3/4 and the other one was just over 10. It was good to be out on a decent body of water! Cant wait for another day off.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:39 AM »
i fished union yesterday, caught a few perch agan.  saw the largest pike i think ill ever see in these waters.  HUGE.  i started using fireline this winter, (the few times ive been out.  im using 8 lb fireline, tipping it with a black steel leader, im thinking i shouldve used 10 vanishline as a leader instead.  the chubby darter really draws big fish in, thats the 4th time a pike, or walleye has come right up to the lure, and swam away  ???  had 2 nice walleyes do that on pontiac lake.  had a walleye do that the other day on union also
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:27 AM »
walleyeslayer. Where were you yesterday on union? I was the guy about 400 yards out maybe a little further. Anysize to those perch? I only cought 2 that were keeper perch.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:11 PM »
walleyeslayer. Where were you yesterday on union? I was the guy about 400 yards out maybe a little further. Anysize to those perch? I only cought 2 that were keeper perch.
8-9 inches, good when youre used to catching dinks.  i was in the other bay across from the launch.  i hope we can get somemore fishing in  ;D  this has been nice
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

flockshot

« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:23 AM »
i had a marvolouse tip-up day yesterday....6 flags in a little over two hours..good size too..nothing gigantic..but good...let all but the 2 smallest go..big females are sure to be all full of eggs..and it makes me feel bad to see that.

walleyechaser

« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:54 AM »
How is the shore ice holding up with this warm weather?
I'm planning on another nighttime excursion friday night. 

flockshot

« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:00 AM »
to soon to tell..but forcast says 1/4 inch of rain tommorow...so that will hurt it..but friday is supposed to be cold..

walleyechaser

« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Its supposed to get just below freezing tonight.  Thursday night its supposed the bottom is supposed to drop out.  All day friday being cold.  I think it will hold up.

I got some 8 foot long planks I can use a bridge to get my across the shore ice.  Talked to my buddy he got 3 walleyes really late after everyone else was packed in and went home.  I think once all the commotion goes away the walleyes go on a feeding binge.

flockshot

« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:07 AM »
im really hoping open pockets dont open up more then they already are...this winter sucks..right when we make some progress..we get days like these last 2...ughh...we should make tons of ice this weekend though.

walleyechaser

« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:39 AM »
How are we lookin out there?  Is pontiac lake still safe?
Its supposed to get cold tonight.  I hope its enough to stiffen up the shore ice by friday night.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Walled Lake - Yesterday - 7 ioi - saw someone out there this morning in that rain....should be okay still.

flockshot

« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:50 AM »
pontiac should still be safe....its lakes like long ..union..cresent...tha t im worried about...

thanks for the info about walled lake.

walleyechaser

« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:09 AM »
they get any walleye out of walled lake?  I haven't seen any stocking info on it.

Its a private lake isn't it?

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I don't have any info on stocking activity.  I have heard, though, that walleye have been caught and decent size, too.  I know the lake has a ton of private access areas that are off limits for the poor shmucks like me....that's why I stick to the area just next to the old and now defunked Bogies restaurant - right out from the public swimming area.

flockshot

« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:38 AM »
i hate fishing pontiac..i dont know why..i just do...lol...im going up next weekend to crystal or big glen..if either are safe...other then that..i think im gonna put my bucket and latern away...and grab my fly rod and start stealheading.

walleyechaser

« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Its not too bad.  We are doing quite well out there this year.  Once you sort through the small bass and hammerhandle pike.  I'm tellin ya try it after dark.  You might take on a whole new attitude.  During the day its a waste of time. 

If you are thinking about Big Glen and you want walleyes go to Intermediate.  Its the next lake in line after Bellaire.  Excellent walleye fishing.  I've fished it 6 times and got a limit 5 times.  Nothing real big but good eaters.  I could tell you exactly where to go.  But you need a vex.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:15 PM »
I've pretty much written off Long, Union, Cass, Crescent, Maceday etc. this winter has just been too warm to create safe ice all the way across those lakes.  Pontiac it is until I get the boat out this spring.  Then I'll see you on Long April 29th.

Oh well it gives me a chance to really get into one lake.  Even though I know Pontiac better than the back of my hand.

You don't have to worry about Union lake,Its the small lakes you have to worry about.
Larger deeper lakes hold ice better when it gets warm like this,I have been ice fishing
Union lake all winter. ;D
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

walleyechaser

« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:28 PM »
I don't know where to ice fish on Union.  the good spots I know about are all a very long walk.
I've tried all around the boat launch area within a reasonable walking distance but never got a bite.

Besides I don't think the really deep areas have ever frozen have they?  I know Cass and Maceday have pretty much had open water all year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.