The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)  (Read 14514 times)

flockshot

Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:38 PM »
actually macedays been iced for a long time..it just hasnt been very thick...lol...and thanks for the tip about intermidiate...but im goin after lakers...do at least once every year....my girlfriends parents own a cabin on little glen....we just base from there and hit the local laker spots. do alright.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:22 PM »
union lk will definately hold up after these freezing nights.  it will be awesome ice for the vex.  the soanr will shoot right through that clear ice
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

flockshot

« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:52 AM »
ice sure looks like it held good...it looked like ,on my way to work this morning, that the temps may have helped..the lakes looked like all the white ice and slush ice were gone and good hard black ice was all that was left....and with these temps tonight and tommorow..i wouldnt feel unsafe on very many places.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Anyone see any guys out ice fishing today?  Just wondering which lakes are best off.  I was looking at fishing Union Lake tomorrow, but may go to Pontiac instead.  How's the parking at these lakes?  How long of a walk out from the parking do you need to go?  There's so many lakes in that Oakland county area, I don't know which one to try tomorrow.  Which one would you guys suggest to a new guy who hasn't been on them?
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Anyone see any guys out ice fishing today?  Just wondering which lakes are best off.  I was looking at fishing Union Lake tomorrow, but may go to Pontiac instead.  How's the parking at these lakes?  How long of a walk out from the parking do you need to go?  There's so many lakes in that Oakland county area, I don't know which one to try tomorrow.  Which one would you guys suggest to a new guy who hasn't been on them?

dont fish union lol.  youll come away empty handed, with this cold front.  try pontiac, tackles drive launch, just a short walk out to a good spot.  there were a few guys on union this afternoon, ice looks good and solid.  if unions good, pontiac is
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Thanks Walleyeslayer.  I will try pontiac for some gills and crappie.  It's only about 1 hour and 45 minute drive for me.  Need to get rid of the ice shakes soon. :o

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:33 PM »
tackles drive launch
Glad you mentioned that Walleyeslayer.  I would have parked at the Marvell Road ramp.  Thanks.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #67 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:11 PM »
caught a limit of gills this afternoon on union lake.  didnt think id catch anything, noone around me was catching fish, i guess i found the right spot
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:33 PM »
They were biting good on Pontiac too. :)

The guys I had planned on going with couldn't make it today. I was bound and determined to wet a line somewhere. I made the 200 mile round trip north in Michigan. It's not so bad when you catch fish.

Arrived around 6 am. Didn't want to be Trailblazer, but I headed anyways with the ice spud bar in hand. I couldn't see a whole lot in the dark, but I could make out a couple ice shanties in the distance. So I figured it was good to go. Didn't take any chances, used the spud the whole way out. Took some time to reach the desired depth I wanted to fish. Passed the first shanty up on the way out, and headed for the second one in the distance. It looked to be close to the drop that I was looking for on the topo.
Well I walked out in the dark, so I couldn't see much while I was walking out there. Just could see what was directly in front of me, and my spud bar. Here's some the scenes after it was light out. This is the Ice shanty I walked toward. I thought someone was fishing out of it. Guess not. :whistle:  If you look closely in the background you will see open water.

Caught a ton of fish today.  Most were little 4 inch bluegills.  Took home 8 decent crappie, 2 redear, and 8 or 9 gills.  Lost a big bass and walleye at the hole.  :(  However, I did catch 10 bass that were all released.  :)  Here's photo of one of them.

It was a good time.  Thanks for your posts on Oakland County.  For the record, the ice I was fishing on was 4 good inches with one inch of bad ice on top.  About 10 or 12 feet behind me was 1 inch of ice.  Be careful out there.  Tight lines guys.

Here's a link if you want to see more photos from today's fishing trip.
http://p222.ezboard.com/ffishtalkandfishingreportsfrm9.showMessage?topicID=933.topic

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:45 PM »
They were biting good on Pontiac too. :)

The guys I had planned on going with couldn't make it today. I was bound and determined to wet a line somewhere. I made the 200 mile round trip north in Michigan. It's not so bad when you catch fish.

Arrived around 6 am. Didn't want to be Trailblazer, but I headed anyways with the ice spud bar in hand. I couldn't see a whole lot in the dark, but I could make out a couple ice shanties in the distance. So I figured it was good to go. Didn't take any chances, used the spud the whole way out. Took some time to reach the desired depth I wanted to fish. Passed the first shanty up on the way out, and headed for the second one in the distance. It looked to be close to the drop that I was looking for on the topo.
Well I walked out in the dark, so I couldn't see much while I was walking out there. Just could see what was directly in front of me, and my spud bar. Here's some the scenes after it was light out. This is the Ice shanty I walked toward. I thought someone was fishing out of it. Guess not. :whistle:  If you look closely in the background you will see open water.
(Image removed from quote.)

Caught a ton of fish today.  Most were little 4 inch bluegills.  Took home 8 decent crappie, 2 redear, and 8 or 9 gills.  Lost a big bass and walleye at the hole.  :(  However, I did catch 10 bass that were all released.  :)  Here's photo of one of them.
(Image removed from quote.)

It was a good time.  Thanks for your posts on Oakland County.  For the record, the ice I was fishing on was 4 good inches with one inch of bad ice on top.  About 10 or 12 feet behind me was 1 inch of ice.  Be careful out there.  Tight lines guys.

Here's a link if you want to see more photos from today's fishing trip.
http://p222.ezboard.com/ffishtalkandfishingreportsfrm9.showMessage?topicID=933.topic

lol, dude, i thought the fish would be dead with this coldfront.....i wont give any more advice hahahaaa.  i saw about 50 guys fishing, and just thought id give it a try, noone else was catching anything
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:17 AM »
lol, dude, i thought the fish would be dead with this coldfront.....i wont give any more advice hahahaaa. 

Guess you never know.  That's why they call it fishing and not catching.  lol  Glad you got your limit of gills. That's some good eating.

walleyechaser

« Reply #71 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Was on Pontiac lake saturday.  Got off by myself and caught 7 slab crappies 1 20" walleye and 1 33" northern.
And 1 stupid 4lb channel cat.  I hate those fish.

I'd say I had pretty good success based on those conditions.  I figured that cold front would send those fish down in the thickest weeds you could find.

flockshot

« Reply #72 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:40 AM »
i got a limit of gills in about45 mins out on oxbow this weekend.....back bay more private...colder then hell..but whoda thunk it..lol...i was all excited to be the guy who did good..but i guess we all did alright..thanks for the reports...and keep em coming...

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Depends on how the ice gets around here over the next week.  I may be back that way trying a different lake next time.  Gills are just too small in Pontiac.  I did meet up with a very good friend out there Sunday later in the morning.  He also had a some success with the bass, gills, crappie, and Pike.  So the bite was very good this weekend on the lakes.  Below is a photo of one of his bass that were released.

flockshot

« Reply #74 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:50 PM »
theres alot of really good bluegill lakes just a hop skip and jump from pontiac...were supposed to get 2 days of warm then cold again...i dont think it will hurt to bad...so it should be safe this weekend...try oakland...loon....oxbo w(park at old window store on M-59.across from sports bar)...pretty good gills in those places..theres alot really...pontiacs gills are kinda stunted...shoot pick a lake..theres a ton of them..something good to be had at them all too..

walleyechaser

« Reply #75 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:01 PM »
I agree. I don't even target gills in Pontiac.

Union and Cass also have reallly good gill fishin.

Cass lake they are usually inside the bay that the Dodge 4 launch is in.  Try 6-25 fow.
Be careful around the river inlet.

flockshot

« Reply #76 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:19 PM »
i forgot about cass...hit or miss..but when its hit...oh baby..lol..
 ill check tommorow but if ceder island lake is safe..the canal mouths and flats are some of the best public lake panfish places ive ever fished..and i cant believe im typing that on the internet...but theres a river that runs through it..gets really spotty..ill post on wednesday how it looked.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Thanks guys.  You truly are lucky to have so many lakes so close together.

walleyechaser

« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Brendle Lake is another awesome bluegill lake but its private.  I know of one way to get on in a sub.
Only problem is someone will call the cops if they find out you don't live there.
Get into the canals in 4 feet and you'll tear the gills up.  Theres a current in some of the canals so be careful.
Also some natural springs that are never safe in the main lake.

flockshot

« Reply #79 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:15 PM »
theres so many good private lakes..but good fishin can be had on public lakes too...BIG bass..if you want to know about somewhere specific..one of us will let you know..or hell even take you out..just let us know..but if your drivin an hour to fish daylight...get your mind of pontiac..lol..

walleyechaser

« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:05 PM »
BIG Bass just let us know what you're after and we'll be glad to help out.
Flockshot can't be more right.  The only decent eating fish are caught after dark on Pontiac. 
Forget about it during the day.  That bass you caught is the norm out there.  Along with some hammerhandles.

That nice pike I caught wasn't until 11 at night.  I've only seen pike feed after dark on that lake.  I thought they were a sight feeder.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Thanks again.  Reason I hit Pontiac, it is was suggested to be the safest ice in the area.  So I was looking to be safe before anything else.  Did get one crappie that was 11 inches long, and the others were 8 1/2 to 9 inches.  The gills were 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 inches long that I kept.  Big compared to the majority that were released.  I may be headed back to the area Next Sunday morning.  Depending on my schedule.  If any of you would like to meet up on a lake, I would appreciate the tour.  I prefer pan fish through the ice.  Perch, Gills, or crappie.  Everything else is just a bonus.

flockshot

« Reply #82 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:32 PM »
if you can...stay late too..i know its hard with it staying light later..but alot of lakes are producing awsome crappie this year..pontiac..long... oxbow...ceder island..voorhies...jus t to name a few..and its usually just before dark..to jsut after dark..so you dont have to stay very late to hit them

just give us a shout later through the week...since you live so far away...some people will probably be a little more generous with there spots..lol

check the first post...i try to keep ice totals as accurate as possible..and if i can i can check specific lakes for you..save you some worrie.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:47 PM »
if you can...stay late too..i know its hard with it staying light later..but alot of lakes are producing awsome crappie this year..pontiac..long... oxbow...ceder island..voorhies...jus t to name a few..and its usually just before dark..to jsut after dark..so you dont have to stay very late to hit them

It would be better for me to come early than late.  I like fishing the pre-dawn hours, and then a few hours after daylight.  Not looking to take anyone's spots.   lol  Usually, I have a topo of a lake, and can figure out where some fish should be located this time of year.  Takes some fun out of it, if you don't find them yourself.  Far as hitting the lakes in that area.  Only while there is ice there and not here.  We have a ton of lakes around this area too.  There just isn't any safe ice right now.  If you guys want to try something different, drop me a PM, and I would be happy to show you around the lakes ice fishing.

Far as Pontiac goes, I doubt I will fish it again through the ice.  However, I may bring the boat there some day to do some bass fishing.  Looks like a great bass lake.  The drive really isn't that bad.  Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get there, and 1 hour 45 minutes to get home.  About the same as it takes for me to go to Coldwater Lake in Michigan.

Anyone who wants to hook up Sunday, just drop me a PM.  Otherwise, will wing it again on another suggested lake in the area.  Anyone fish Grass Lake?

flockshot

« Reply #84 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:53 PM »
grass lake will be a good gill choice

as far as during the summer..pontiac gets hammered..you will catch about 100 bass...but very few over 15...i fish a thursday night tourney..i won once out there with two fish..both 14...second..had one fish..14..im not sure why...if bass is your flavor hit some of the small mouth lakes...ceder island..long...union.. cass...tons of fun..better fighters.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:44 AM »
Thanks flockshot.  I may do some lake hoping this summer.  It's pretty convient with all of them so close together.  Which ones don't get hammered by the jetskiers and waterskiers?  They ruin a bass trip reel quick.

walleyechaser

« Reply #86 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Stringy Lakes near Oxford have good bass numbers and good size.  Also they offer both smallies and largemouths.  I've caught a couple 8 lb'ers and a few 6's out there. 
Go at night when the june bugs come out and toss Jitterbugs.  It will be some fast action you can average 50 bass a night.  Any place you find shallow water with some weeds are a good bet. 

I used to live on Squaw Lake but I'm not much of a bass fisherman.

Offline MECATCHUMBIGONE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Stringy Lakes near Oxford have good bass numbers and good size.  Also they offer both smallies and largemouths.  I've caught a couple 8 lb'ers and a few 6's out there. 
Go at night when the june bugs come out and toss Jitterbugs.  It will be some fast action you can average 50 bass a night.  Any place you find shallow water with some weeds are a good bet. 

I used to live on Squaw Lake but I'm not much of a bass fisherman.

How is Squaw when it comes to pan fish. I have a co worker that lives close and doesn't fish however he  has mentioned the lake several times.

walleyechaser

« Reply #88 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Pretty decent panfish lake.  Gills and Crappies run pretty good size.
Really nice perch when you can find them. 

flockshot

« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:35 AM »
big bass..they all get pretty beat up by jet skiers..especially on a weekend..if you go during a weekday..it wont be bad..my suggestion for big smallies is cass..but if you go on a weekend you will hate it...its a huge lake...with structure that you wont belive..but it gets quite a big pleasure boat pressence..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.