Author Topic: I'm never buying another jig!  (Read 10230 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
I'm never buying another jig!
« on: Nov 08, 2008, 09:12 PM »
I have been dieing to buy a fly tying kit for the last six months or so. And today I finally did. I will never by another panfish jig again.

I have been looking at gander mountain and they want $2.50 to $5.50 for 2 ice jigs.

I have about $.15 to $.30 into my new ones.

I was taught how to tie flies when I was 15. I really haven't done it since then. That was 23yrs ago. And now, as I did then, appreciate the fact that I learned this skill.

I can't tell you how much it means to me to be able to make my own ice jigs. Yes I can make a shack to sit in. Yes I can make a light for the shack. Yes I can make a holder for the rod. Yes I can make a rod.

But what it all comes down to is what is on the end of the line. And now I am making that too.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: I'm never buying another jig!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Nice! :)  The fish you catch will mean that much more to you.  :)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Any of you guys do this?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:27 PM »
Any of you guys do this?
I just got a vise,lead melting pot and a Do-it jig mold but haven't tried it out yet.I'm still gathering firewood for the winter.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2008, 12:40 AM »
I took some lessons a few years ago. I still have all the stuff, maybe I will geve it a try.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2008, 06:23 AM »
there is a local tying club near me and I have signed up twice and have yet to make it out to a meeting...they tie once a month then fish the next week with the fly's they tied.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2008, 07:20 AM »
 Been doing it for over 40 years now, its great, when you catch something on what you made yourself.

I'm in the process of purchasing equipment to make jigs-- spin cast machine , melting pot that melts 160# of lead, and vulcanizing machine to make new jigs. hope to have this all done within the next two months.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:42 AM »
    Nice jigs! I use to make my own panfish jigs also. I love the thaught of haveing a jig that no one else has even better when you make a killer and smoke the fish with it. I now for some time have been makeing my own lake trout bobbing beetles 1/2oz 1oz 2oz 3oz for fishing the deep. I still tie buck tails on most of them helps hold the scent a bit better. By playing with a bigger body bait I am able to use more colors with the air brush and powder coat. As soon as I figure out how to post some picts Ill show ya some of my fish getters. And some of the ones I put in the local stores. South Shore Lake Superior over in out.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Here's my fly rig and some jigs I use.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:23 PM »
I bought a flyrod this year and started tying my own flys. I always have some nymphs with me on the ice. Hey Mud there is a great fly shop by you I go to. Nomad in Okemos.
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Thanks Fishhead I'll have to check it out. The Grand River Fly Shop is closed on the weekends here and that's when I like to do my shopping.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Here are a few of the ones I made yersterday. I am knocking the rust off. It's been a long time since I have tied. Just making these up as I go since I don't know any formal ice patterns, if there are any.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Work on the Scuds...Primary forage!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Sorry for the ignorance but Scuds?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:29 PM »
 It's basically a grass shrimp and very effective here   www.mwflytying.com/patterns/scud.html     a simple reasonable pattern but you can sub materials. Personally like a Peacock body with floss or chennile back depending on the size. Even clear pieces of a baggie will work for the back. Have you tried 1/100oz jigs with a Pheasant Tail nymph, looks alot like a wiggler and a killer.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I've been tying most all  of my own panfish jigs.... I'll have to get you a recipe on a guaranteed killer pattern, no matter where you are or when you're there!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:51 PM »
All that is left is to build your own jig rods..... 8)

I have a 28'' solid carbon UL action with the finish curing right now. ;)

I have been messing with powder paint and it is some fantastic stuff. If any of you guys are still using vinyl dip paint, I suggest you give it a try on your jigs. If you follow the directions, you will end up with a vivid and nearly indestructible finish.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Started making a new design. I think these might do the thing.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 PM »
the little trick that turned my flies into catchers is bending that eye 90 degrees. alot of the patterns are made to be stripped and worked. under the ice it just hangs funny.
once bent to make up for the difference in presentation....its well...

on like donkey kong!!!

your work looks great.....now just need some ice to smoke'em!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Mud, you're all over it this year..... Hotel for a shanty, and making your own ice jigs.... wuts next?

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Well Vex! My Latest is

The Power Bucket!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Holy crap mud... Are you outta work??  Or just do this when you get home at night??  BTW, you should see the shanty me and some buds are building....  Not gonna be very portable, but sure will be sweet!!  I'll post pics when it gets a little closer toward done.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I work full time plus. But I don't watch TV when I get home. I'll sit in the garage dreaming up crazy gadgits while sipping on a 12pack.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:19 PM »
I'll sit in the garage dreaming up crazy gadgits while sipping on a 12pack
LOL sounds like my nights... Im back to 10 hr days now, and when i get home i still dont feel like sitting around, the guys all come over, we sit in the barn and dream of things to build with a few drinks.....  Which is how we came up with the shanty.....

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Nice flys I used to tie my own for trout now don't have the time. Yours look good and they will work nicely good job :tipup:

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:39 AM »
I had the opportunity back in school about fifteen years ago to learn how to tie flies.  I wish I had.  Lately I have been looking into getting what I need to do it.
What do you guys think I would need to just get by and try this?  What tools do you NEED and roughly how much to get into it fairly inexpensively?  I've seen kits from 100.00 and up.
Do you have to use specific threads and feathers or is it one of those thing "if it works do it"?
I just want to try it out and if I don't like it I won't be upset.  I'm usually pretty busy, plus I have a.d.d.!

So how 'bout them Bears! :D
Thanks guys and nice flies

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I got tired of not finding the same jig twice at our sporting goods stores a couple of years ago, so I started painting and tying my own. This spring I bought a jig mold and started pouring my own.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:41 PM »
I had the opportunity back in school about fifteen years ago to learn how to tie flies.  I wish I had.  Lately I have been looking into getting what I need to do it.
What do you guys think I would need to just get by and try this?  What tools do you NEED and roughly how much to get into it fairly inexpensively?  I've seen kits from 100.00 and up.
Do you have to use specific threads and feathers or is it one of those thing "if it works do it"?
I just want to try it out and if I don't like it I won't be upset.  I'm usually pretty busy, plus I have a.d.d.!

So how 'bout them Bears! :D
Thanks guys and nice flies

I picked up a good basic set up for $50 at Gaunder mountain.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:09 AM »
   Way to go Mud, I've been tying and using ice flies since I was a teenager (late 50's now) You can expand you're horizons with jig hooks and tying dumbell eyes or beadchain clouser style. Opens up a whole new field of target species like Pike, Walleye, Splake/Lake Trout, etc. I always carry a selection of flies with me and consider them a huge advantage. Remember reading all the reports of marking or viewing fish that look but don't take? A size 18 unweighted nymph with the tiny shot from flyfishing tackle say 6" above fished very slowly will take these negative Daphnia feeders where lead jigs simply will not. The trick's not in getting them to take it's detecting and hooking them. A camera can be a huge help. Anyway gice the jig hook Clouser eyed
horizontal tyes a try. Good Luck and Tight Lines!
                                                                                                                           Spin

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:05 AM »
I just got my first fly tying kit too.  I've never tied before though.  Here are a couple things I've made while playing around.

I fish trout so I'm hoping to get some more materials to make some cool things.

I must admit, tying is pretty fun! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.