Author Topic: I'm never buying another jig!  (Read 10229 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I'm never buying another jig!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:35 PM »
If anyone needs any help just ask.  I've been tying for about 35 years.  I tie all my own saltwater patterns for striped bass and trout.  Haven't done much in the way of ice fishing flies though.  I plan on tieing some scud patterns though just to try.   ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Mud n fun;
been doing my own tying for a long time.
I say good for you, my friend.

gd
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:08 PM »
Thanks

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:10 PM »
I haven't tied any ice jigs, but I do spend most of my "indoor winter time" sitting at the tying bench with a couple of Saranac Pale Ales, and visions of chasing big stream fish or bigger bruisers on my lake with the fly rod in the summer.

I do a lot of trout fishing, of course, usually brookies in the ADK's on smaller streams with a 3wt.  And I tie plenty of dries and small streamers throughout the hardwater season when I get home and have the music turned up. That's fun and all.

But the REAL thrill is tying big streamers for pike and smallmouths, and going after them right at ice out. 

While trout fishing with a 3 or 5wt is a good time- you haven't lived until you've bombed big streamers and bunny-tail creations on a cold Adirondack lake just after ice-out.  Sitting in a boat in April is always fun, and the sight of a big Northern streaking across the weeds to tackle a surface streamer is about as cool as it gets (in freshwater).

I was on a business trip this week and here is what I created each night in the hotel room.  Three night's worth of tying, a couple of six-packs, and a whole springtime of Bronzebacks and Northerns ahead too:

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:15 PM »
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll155/NeversinkJimmy/PikeFlies.jpg

Nice! Just bought a fly rod late last summer. Didn't get to use it much, but will this year.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:49 PM »
Been tying my jigs for quite some time now. I'm not the greatest but it's sure is fun catching fish on something you created. Caught my first lake trout this year off something i made. Have fun with it.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Just started tying some jigs that I saw done on Ice Shanty. I like a #12 or #14 Scud hook. I tie a piece of silver solder onto the shank and wrap the wire around the shank. I then paint it using some fingernail polish. I am getting better and this weekend I caught more fish on my own lures than on store bought.  I started tying flies a few years ago when my wife bought me a starter outfit from Cabela's. Not too fancy but it works. A lot of my material I get from hunting or friends. Bucktails; feathers; squirrel tails. What a list. For spring I like to fish for bluegills using a rubber spider. Use to buy the foam bodies until someone showed me the stuff in a local craft store for foam. Cut them out and I can have a multicolored spider in no time.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:26 PM »
I wanna see the spider...can i see the spider..please... :D

Offline TipupMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:19 PM »
I love to panfish on the fly, I have been tying for awhile. Its Relaxing!  ;D

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:50 PM »
wow... this thread has opened my eyes to a whole new aspect to fishing... I just recently caught a few fish on a tip down that I made myself, and felt pretty good, and have made sinkers out of lead before... now I need to get a jig mold, and get creative... 8)

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2009, 08:43 PM »
10-4 meet!! I make all my own steelhead jigs, make the heads and everything, paint them and ty on the feathers.  Just started 2 days ago.  Got sick of spendin $3 on 2 jigs....  Figured i ty my own flies, why not make my own jigs?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:15 PM »
It is not just the jigs that can be tied , it is the possibilties that you have by altering some of those spoons as well.
A few beads here or there, maybee a little marabou on a williams spoon or some crystal flash added to a sidewinder flutterspoon. The options are great and only limited to you and your imagination.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.