The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: naming lakes on iceshanty.com  (Read 7139 times)

Offline scjustin2002

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Look mom i'm walking on water!!!!"
naming lakes on iceshanty.com
« on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:45 PM »
i have to tell you ever time i see someone on here name a lake i fish and have pretty good luck on, it bugs me. i have done my homework and found these lakes and spots. so it bugs me that people are on here acting like they are the only people that fish those lakes, i thought it is kind of a unspoken rule not to name lakes and give spots out. a lot of us live in highly populated areas and if we all keep naming the lakes everone and there brother would be on that lake and ruining the fisheries. i really don't mind helping people out with there technique i truly don't, but i have not once or will i ever tell any of you the name of the lakes i fish, i will give you the general region and if your lucky maybe the county.

i guess my point is maybe think twice of naming the lake where you nearly limited out on and remember your usually not the only on that fishes that lake. just venting and my .02

now bring on the smart @$$'

Shaun

Offline koby

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: naming lakes on iceshanty.com
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:56 PM »
point well taken.

i fish a few big lakes up north occasionally  (crystal, torch etc.), and have found some real sweet spots far from the masses...anytime anyone on fishing forums like this and others, asks me for info, i usually give it to them through PM,  but with reservations, even if they seem on the up and up.

there are too many people out there and one bad move can wreck your honey hole in a nanosecond.

you should see the madness that occurs on LSC when someone puts up a decent report and gives the spot....there will be 200 people there the next day at sunup!!!

i concur.

Offline scjustin2002

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:58 PM »
i have also sent lake names thru PM's but never on a post

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2008, 04:12 PM »
I thought that was the purpose of fishing forums, to help out people. Its not a bragging forum, some people need help and need to know the ice conditions to be safe. It's only fish, you don't need to tell them your GPS waypoint on the hot spot, just an idea where to start.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I also get your point, but i really can't see a lake getting fished out just because a post on a forum. Lakes get fished out because people who fish alot take to much fish home. I don't mean throw everything back, just be aware of the amount of fish you take home. I love to eat fish, but i love to catch them more.

Offline galvman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I see knowthing wrong with telling people where you fish. Fishing is always more fun when there's someone else out there to share your time with. Everyone fishes differently anyway. I've been 10 feet away from someone using the same bait, and still can't catch them. Besides, we need to keep more people fishing to keep license costs down. If they aren't catching fish, they get bored and give up the sport.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I give out areas to fish all the time, but keep MY honey holes to my self. If I was new to the area and wanted to catch fish, I would really appreciate the friendly info. given out on this forum. No different then asking the guy at the bait shop where to fish. And hey, if you go out and get your limit at a spot I recommended, good for oyu! They're just fish anyways.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline scjustin2002

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:21 PM »
No different then asking the guy at the bait shop where to fish.

there is a difference, there aren't 16,798 (number of people registered on iceshanty.com) people standing in a bait shop listening and only a fraction of them reply.

It's only fish, you don't need to tell them your GPS waypoint on the hot spot, just an idea where to start.

its only fish yeah but if your a hunter on state land do you tell some guy you saw a monster buck wondering around, i didn't think so.

all i am saying is that just be cautious, there are lurkers on the sites that never respond, they just come on these forums and see where the bite is, like i said before i have no problem helping anybody out especially a new comer to this great sport. but if there are no fish to catch they are going to get board quick. and giving lake size and location in a forum is no big deal.
Shaun

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:29 PM »
this conversation happens all the time,exspecially steelhead streams.if you know a spot share.if youve got a honey hole ;keep it,but unless the lake is really nothin more than a pond,namin names isnt goin to hurt the fishery.
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline shortyonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:54 PM »
I know a lake down the bend around the corner next to the big maple tree, turn left, go down til you see the cows in the field, hang a right at the next road, then go to larry's cousins road, the one who bought the jeep from frank and then go 100 yards, turn around and go through the woods down the two track,that is where all the fish are biting. HEY I DON"T WANT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR HOTSPOT IS, JUST SAFE ICE!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I may help someone out through pm's on occasion but it's like someone said you post about a great catch and the next day you can't find a place to park.A lot of small lakes have enough pressure from the locals and can't take the barage of an internet flogging...

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Well there you have it,Shortyonice has given us diections and I know where that spot is so I'll see you guys there at day light tomorrow.... ;D

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:09 PM »

its only fish yeah but if your a hunter on state land do you tell some guy you saw a monster buck wondering around, i didn't think so.

I am a hunter and there is a difference between hunting and fishing. I'll tell you where I hooked a 33 inch Walleye but didn't land it. It's just south of Great Lake Steel on the Detroit river. You catch it call me and I'll pat you on the back. It's not going to make a difference to me, it's only a fish. There are alot of huge fish in the river. A monster buck on state land.... hmmm I can't remember a good recipe for horns.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I only have one thing to say 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. So just cause they're are 100 shanty's in one area does not mean every one is catching fish so just because a place is hot at one time or another doesn't mean you are a good enough fisherman to catch them and that is a fact cause I have seen it a hundred times. Given all the diffrent variables in fishing there is no way that just because they know where the honey hole is that doesn't mean they have the rite stuff such as bait, lure, depth, technice, line, and GPS coordinates. Honey holes don't make a good fisherman  years of skill and knowledge of a place does.

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:52 PM »
well why keep lake names secret i fish all over and consider myself and angler can adapt to new spots or heavy pressure thats whats seperates me from you.. you find a school and pull out a couple nice fish yup yere good at homework but me i take time and study fish patterns and behaviors and like deer hunting will ambush the school on there daily migration routes if not someone will the fish are not locked to and spot and just droppin your line can bust up a good party... not trying to be a @$%#% but come on its fishing and if we cant help out one another than what %$#?   today for instance i had a slow day caught a dozen or so nice gills the fish moved and i got on them again i would have liked to catch a limit but i aw a youngster who was fishing without electronics and without warm clothes either!!! he was not having fun so i asked if he would like to catch fish and he replied like a kid (thats why were here) soi let him have my hole and took a minute to shom him the vex he was very happy and caught 7 8-9" gills in 15mins... they could have been mine but i love to see people havin fun and cathin fish! if everbody could drop al the bs for a minute to your surprize you may learnhow to fish with confidence  hey what lake ya fishin?

Offline a45gunslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:27 PM »
I Look for whatever help I can get..My weekend fishing partners are my two girls ages 3 and 8..we only keep a small handfull  of the fish we catch (enough for a meal) and usually they've had enough after an hour or so.  It's definitely easier to keep them happy if we're catching- Kevin

Offline IcingSomeSlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Honestly, on any lakes that I know that people talk about on here, the only thing that has ever limited the pressure is the number of parking spots available.  Other than that, there's a few people that almost always catch fish, a few that rarely do, and everyone else, and I doubt anything that's posted on here is going to change that.  There are days I can run identical setups in holes 3 feet apart and still catch 75% of the fish out of just one hole.. there is a certain amount of luck involved I think. 

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:44 PM »
yeah if you dont want to talk about good lakes and tell people where to fish and have good luck then you shouldnt be on this site... if people didnt talk about doing good then this site would be 100% recipes
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Go ahead amateurs name you lake,give gps coordinates, lure color, etc.  Sit back and wait and see how many more people show up to fish that spot. :o   You will be singing a different tune. :P  I do give out general info. to certain people.  But this info. is nothing different than what you would get from a baitshop.  I help people on this site as much as I can.  I help people out on the ice much more.  I have a clam flip style shack and most guys do not know how I am cathing them.  After I have figured out the fish... and limit out.  I will go talk to a local and put him on some fish.   I have done this numerous times.  The next time I see that guy on the ice 9 times out of 10,  he will look me up and share a few choice spot/ lakes he has been getin' them on.   I have made a ton of "nameless" friends out on the ice this way.  They have put me on more fish than I could imagine.   ;D
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Go ahead amateurs name you lake,give gps coordinates, lure color, etc.  Sit back and wait and see how many more people show up to fish that spot. :o   You will be singing a different tune. :P  I do give out general info. to certain people.  But this info. is nothing different than what you would get from a baitshop.  I help people on this site as much as I can.  I help people out on the ice much more.  I have a clam flip style shack and most guys do not know how I am cathing them.  After I have figured out the fish... and limit out.  I will go talk to a local and put him on some fish.   I have done this numerous times.  The next time I see that guy on the ice 9 times out of 10,  he will look me up and share a few choice spot/ lakes he has been getin' them on.   I have made a ton of "nameless" friends out on the ice this way.  They have put me on more fish than I could imagine.   ;D

Well said Realitycheck that's called Karma, You do good for others and you get good from others in return.

Offline nickabod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:14 PM »
ok ok ok

some of u guys are gettin a little nuts. I'm not going to tell anybody anything that i don't want anybody else to know about.....

if you are catching a few fish (on good ice right now) let us know... if it's that small, of good, or secretive..... just keep it to yourself.. we'r just trying to be helpful and such.....

no big deal... see ya on reeds lake once we get ice.... i'll let you set up with me and ice a few pike, just let me know

nick

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Nick I don't think you get it.  If you bumped into me on the ice I would invite ya in for some food and a adult beverage.  I would tell you to stay till ya got warmed up.  I would let you take my pole and catch some fish.  On this site there is alot of talk.  And sometimes if you are lucky you learn something.  On the ice it is a hole different game.  Anybody who has fished around me knows this.  I have no secrets on the ice if you are polite enough to ask. ;)

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:21 PM »
There may be 16,798 people on this forum, but only a small percentage are on the MIchigan forum, and even a much smaller percentage actually live near where you fish.  I do not mind giving up some info on lakes in this forum.  I feel that this is a fairly tight knit community and you have to giv eto recieve.  By all means, keep your honey holes to yourselves, but helping out a few local fishermen will not fish out a lake.  I have gotten alot of ggod info on this forum and am happy to return the favor.  Like I said, you can't give away every secret, but I enjoy helping out my local brothers.  I am a catch and release fisherman 90%+ of the time.  I think most guys on here areresponsible enough to not take limits every time they go out. 

Respectfully speaking, if you do not like the exchange of info, I think you are in the wrong place.

BTW cute pice 45gunslinger!  It's nice to see the young generation enjoy icefishing.  License fees pay to have your favourite lakes stocked.

Offline nontypical

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:24 PM »
I may help someone out through pm's on occasion but it's like someone said you post about a great catch and the next day you can't find a place to park.A lot of small lakes have enough pressure from the locals and can't take the barage of an internet flogging...
yeah if a guy would try to go fishing with you one time.two trucks maybe some fish.good times always ::)pm me

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Common velocity,

See the number of posts next to my name?  That means I do share info with people.  In fact the ones I do share info. with on p.m.'s are probably laughing at you and other new members right now.  Don't worry you will find your niche of friends in here.  And you can share exact spots etc.  I recruit alot of guys on the ice to join ice shanty.  That is how I get new friends in here.  That is how I get EXACT info. in here.

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:44 PM »
go ahead and get a reality check.  I was generally speaking to the person who started this topic.  And I have found a number of great guys on here.  Don't be so defensive!!!!!!!!!!!  Why do you think I was directing anything at you?.  We are on the same side of this debate.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:53 PM »
Sticks and stones......... :D.  You have to be more specific when you post velocity.  I did think your post was directed at me.  I don't need a reality check.....I AM REALITYCHECK.  p.m. me if you want to continue this conversation.....so we don't clog up this thread....which is a very good one.

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Absolutely no sticks and stones!!!!!!!!!!!  ???  I agree with you 100%.   I am not sure where the confusiion was.  I am more than happy with sharing info as I said in my past post.  And if you bump into me on the ice I'd be more than happy to share a beer with YOU and share tips and tricks.  That is what this forum is all about.  If my first post in this topic said anything but that, I greatly apologize.  Lo0oking bck at your post, I think we are exactly on the same page.  I think you are in the KZOO area?  I'd be more than happy to share any info on area lakes with you.  I certainly do not want to argue, but if you do want to pm me about locations/baits I'd be happy to tell you anything I know!

Consider me your friend on here.

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Alright you crazy Michiganders, settle down.  I've named lakes before and don't have a problem with it.  Sure there are lurkers everywhere on here, the ice, in bait shops, all trying to figure out that magical spot to fish, in that magical state, on that magical pond.  Do they catch fish?  Maybe.  Do they know what the h#$% they're doing?  Maybe.  Knowing the name of a lake is only a small piece to a very big puzzle.  I've named lakes before and seen a few more people out on the ice.  Was it my fault, who knows.  A lot of the info I give out here is the very same you can find on our DNR Website.  If I read (on the DNR site)that 12 inch Crappie are being caught at a lake I go search it out and try new areas.  

My point is that just because you know the name of a lake doesn't mean you have the first sniff about how or where on that lake to catch fish.  As for giving out the specifics on those lakes, well now that's a whole different ball game.....  Unless I see you on the ice.

Smitty      

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:33 PM »
Velocity you crack me up.  I hope i didn't honk you off to much.  I hope I see you out on gull lake and we can laugh about all this.  I will p.m.  with you any local info I may have.  I live in k-zoo but travel all over to fish.  I think if we had more ice to fish on, most people would be happier.  I know I would.  I look forward to reading your posts in the future.  And I hope I can keep you informed with my posts. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.