The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: naming lakes on iceshanty.com  (Read 7138 times)

Offline lanceyoung7

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: naming lakes on iceshanty.com
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:30 AM »
WOW!! what a discussion.  I find this whole thing funny.  people talk about not giving out lake names to small lakes because there will be too many people out there.....how many people can you realistically put on a small lake, especially if the "parking lot gets full?"  20? 30?  and what is a small lake, 50 acres, 100 acres, more?  look at higgins lake for example, 10,000 acre lake, probably more than 400 shanty's on the ice on any given weekend. not that much different than having 20 people on a 400 acre lake, but yet people always rave about the fishing on higgins, especially the smelt.  the funny thing about that is that you'll have 100-200 people at the west boat launch fishing 65-70 fow for smelt and you'll find me at the south end of the lake in 25-30 fow catchin smelt all day long, day or night.  its not about the spot, like many people have said on this website, its about technique, lure, coordinates, and just plain time spent on the ice.  it all comes down to how much knowledge you have about the lake.  i'll gladly give out information, that is what this website is for, i love to catch fish, but nothing beats the smile you get when you show someone else where to catch them. you'll have a friend for life!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:30 AM »
I didnt read through this whole topic but I saw someone mentioned the 16,000 members on here that get to hear about a good spot. They didnt even include all of the lurkers that stop by and take a peak too. I stick to pm's or am real general with my spots
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:04 AM »
WOW 4 days away from home and look at this topic that has evolved. I'm by- partisan on this topic..... Here's why...
Back when we had 1st ice (early Dec) I got into this website and of course had the ice fishing bug, as we all do, and it's understandable, I posted on a lake in my area. Now this lake (off 6mi rd.) Was and always is the first to get safe ice, I checked it and of course posted on it's conditions. I posted again after some friends and I were the first ones on it. WE KILLED THE GILLS! Did great 3 times out.  Word gets out well enough w/o internet but I have a feeling that my postings might have contributed to the reason I saw more  fishermen and trucks, and had a 8it!h of a time parking for the first time there in 5 YRS. I'm sorry to the guys I might have Pissed off and happy for those I helped because that's what this site is all about: Sharing info and friendly stuff like that. I will share info to a certain extent from now on and think ice conditions is a must If you feel so inclined. Looking out for the safety of a fellow arctic fishing warrior is a must. What I CANT stand is what I saw last night , people posting on multiple forums. My buddy was on the computer at work and he was showing me MI Sportsman Ice fishing forum(which pales in comparison) and I noticed people on there who are on OUR site also. Some even have same user names and even talk about the same lakes and chat about same info. Freaking traitors. Stop double dipping. Those are the people who spend to much time on the computer and not enough time fishing. Or they just like to talk about fishing and give away everyone else's spots. I don't want to  keep this ruckus going to long but those double dipper's get me. People who want to do all the taking and no giving bother me .Sorry if this changed anyones opinion of me but after all that's what this site is also about:  Opinions about the subject in question.  Remember Share Responsibly.....Jay
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline twinkster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:58 AM »
Don't matter where I go fishing, it's always slow with very few fish  ::) ::) ::) ;D
OFFICIAL NORTHERN SHIRT OF THE MIRC Proud member of the MIRC  

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:00 AM »
If you want to give out specific lakes and locations then by all means do it.Most on here will share equipment,ice conditions, and general info.I've been ice fishing over 40 years and am more than willing to help in those areas.I'm not trying to be a snob about the lakes I fish but if you post too much specific location info it may just come back to haunt ya in the "future".Some of the lakes I fish only have a limited amount of parking.I used to give out a little info on spots but after a p/m from a member wanting exact spots,that I would'nt give him,in his last p/m he called me unsportsman like and selfish.....so thats the name of that tune and I no longer give out any kind of info like that.......Sorry but that the way it's got to be for me.......This is all I have to say on the subject.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.