Author Topic: Clam plate wobble issue?  (Read 22805 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam plate wobble issue?
« Reply #150 on: Dec 27, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Clam just got back to me. They said they couldn't view my Video I sent them. I let them know what I thought about that and a little more.
My Clam plate is on it's way back to Dicks.
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Dec 27, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Lefty, I'll bet a dollar you don't get diddly back. Don't let the hate consume you. Nobody likes to take a hickey but I imagine you've survived worse in your life.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #152 on: Dec 27, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Lefty, I'll bet a dollar you don't get diddly back. Don't let the hate consume you. Nobody likes to take a hickey but I imagine you've survived worse in your life.
Dicks took it back. Sent me out the Return shipping label and all.
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Man I was going to buy one. Not now! Is there an alternative?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #154 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Man I was going to buy one. Not now! Is there an alternative?
HT has one that has handle bars. Not sure if anyone is selling it. Reeds had it in their catalog. https://www.amazon.com/HT-Enterprises-Drill-Adapter-EDPAK-6/dp/B07KBG84NF
<===Lefty===

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Well here is my take. I am running the Octane with the plate, Clam extension and a 8in Eskimo hand auger. It does wobble too, not sure how bad is to bad? I have cut about 30 holes through 8 to 10 inches of ice and it cuts so fast it is hard to believe. I don't notice the wobble when cutting a hole though, maybe it does but it is so fast I can't tell. The hard part is when it breaks through you better be holding on tight!! One thing is the bottom of the hole is not smooth but I think that is because of how fast it cuts.

So I don't think the wobble is that big of a deal for me, maybe I will think different by the end of the year?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #157 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Well here is my take. I am running the Octane with the plate, Clam extension and a 8in Eskimo hand auger. It does wobble too, not sure how bad is to bad? I have cut about 30 holes through 8 to 10 inches of ice and it cuts so fast it is hard to believe. I don't notice the wobble when cutting a hole though, maybe it does but it is so fast I can't tell. The hard part is when it breaks through you better be holding on tight!! One thing is the bottom of the hole is not smooth but I think that is because of how fast it cuts.

So I don't think the wobble is that big of a deal for me, maybe I will think different by the end of the year?
.        Just as about to go thru , lift slightly

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #158 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:58 PM »

I'm sure you got a good plate/Shaft. I tried drilling with mine through 10 holes and gave up because the wobble was so bad I was afraid it was going to bend the auger/blades or both. I have my auger attached to the Clam Extension now and hooked up to a Ice Master Kovack and the thing spins smooth in the air so I know it will drill good also. I never had any problems last year with just my Auger and the Nero Extension.
<===Lefty===

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:13 PM »
right.i didnt even want the clam plate due to bulk and weight but safety came to mind running a 8” mora with just the drill and side handle.hope the drill is built good and those handles dont snap off.im really not sold on a drill/auger setup reading all this.but im all in now i guess.lol

K drill has none of these issues, smooth cut and break through with or without the clam plate, no need to worry about it walking or catching at the bottom of the hole. It is expensive and you sacrifice some speed (amount of holes drilled), and hole size (7.5 inch). Every auger has it's advantages and disadvantages, but the k wins for me hands down in the ease of use department. (I've tried mora, lazer, nils, and nero)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #160 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Went out today and drilled some holes using the Extension and Kovak Ice Master. My Nero rips once again. Don't even know why I bought that stupid Clam Drill Plate.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #161 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:26 PM »
glad it didn't hurt your auger. the wobble or offset of the blade closest to the ice was having a hard time finding center and cutting evenly it sounds.

there is other conversation here about this almost cutting toes off and one person made a center point for his as a work around.

another person did get cut a foot and boot from it.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:35 PM »
glad it didn't hurt your auger. the wobble or offset of the blade closest to the ice was having a hard time finding center and cutting evenly it sounds.

there is other conversation here about this almost cutting toes off and one person made a center point for his as a work around.

another person did get cut a foot and boot from it.

Where'd you see that?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #164 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Where'd you see that?
do a member search for ice scratcher and pm him or read thru his posts. maybe he is reading this topic and will say some thing about it.

or follow hd's link to this
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354423.msg3785625#msg3785625

same story with a different name. not too many people into it yet.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363836.0

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:44 PM »
do a member search for ice scratcher and pm him or read thru his posts. maybe he is reading this topic and will say some thing about it.

Yeah, if you run your auger like a dummy or a Polock, your fine. When you put them both together it hurts..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I'm not going to blame a machine that only did what it's designed to do. Also accidentally starting off in speed 2, could get catastrophic.

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #167 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Wow can't believe guys are having issues. My gen 2 plate with a Milwaukee 1200in lbs works great. Just a little grease in the bearing and good to go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #168 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Wow can't believe guys are having issues. My gen 2 plate with a Milwaukee 1200in lbs works great. Just a little grease in the bearing and good to go.
I think they had a run of bad plate shaft's. QC has and always would be first priority. But some people ASSUME sometimes. And we know what that means.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #169 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I think they had a run of bad plate shaft's. QC has and always would be first priority. But some people ASSUME sometimes. And we know what that means.

Lol....clam and quality control have never been to great. My 1st voyager shack & clam plate are the only clam things that have been decent.......of course the shack was made before the investor group got ahold of clam.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #170 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:02 PM »
reading thru and keeping up with this thread because I just bought a ridgid drill and clam plate.i only see a few guys having some actual cutting problems and then the rest of us{me included} worried about wobble and not cutting ice with the plate and have not tried it yet.lol.when I get ice and try it,cutting a hole in ice then I will make a decision to ditch it or  not.jmo

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:11 PM »

The gen 2 plate with that Fuel drill also worked dandy for me last year. This year with the Ridgid Octane it's a pure POS. Stick with what you've got which is an exceptional rig.

The auxilliary handle on the Octane drill is long enough and beefy enough that I was able to park the Clam plate and just run it through a Kovac with very gratifying results.

Sure wish I hadn't needed to go through all these spendy combinations to hit on the one that works for me. Story of my life.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:20 PM »
reading thru and keeping up with this thread because I just bought a ridgid drill and clam plate.i only see a few guys having some actual cutting problems and then the rest of us{me included} worried about wobble and not cutting ice with the plate and have not tried it yet.lol.when I get ice and try it,cutting a hole in ice then I will make a decision to ditch it or  not.jmo

X2. I will give it a try if we ever have safe ice. I will, however have a back up with me if it doesn't work.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #173 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:28 PM »

X2. I will give it a try if we ever have safe ice. I will, however have a back up with me if it doesn't work.
right.just bring the handle to the auger is my plan.start out slow with the drill until it starts to cut.ive used a drill/auger for 6 years now but not with a 8” bit or clam plate.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:47 PM »

or follow hd's link to this
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354423.msg3785625#msg3785625

same story with a different name. not too many people into it yet.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363836.0

Neither of those seem to be because of clam plate wobble (not saying there is no bent shaft problem, clearly there seems to be), but those 2 threads don't mention wobble at all. When you put a drill on an auger with shaver blades and no center point, it's gonna walk if you don't start slow, which happened to both of those guys, and another dude with the pistol bit earlier this year. I used my plate all last season with an m18 and k drill, no problems, didn't add grease either.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Shaver blades want to walk, period. Using them with a power head is asking for trouble imo.  Wobble issues are most likely from loose adapters. Drills shouldnt matter...if you don't center your drill, it  shouldnt cause the clam plate spindle to runout unless the bearings are SO incredibly terrile.  If that's the case, then clearly the bearings are bad and a warranty claim should be made.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a friends tomorrow so I can get a better look at whats going on and see if there is a quick fix.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #176 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:54 PM »
My clam plate (3-4 years old and doesn’t require chuck removal) has always had a decent wobble but it cuts great and doesn’t seem to increase blade wear. The extension to the shaft is the loose fitting that causes the wobble. Just got a new octane and it rips with my 6” lazer. 8” lazer arrived today and I’ll try it out on Monday.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:56 PM »
I used my Kdrill,  Milwaukee, clam plate combo yesterday and was extremely happy! No wobble, cut through 7 inches of black ice like  butter! And the fishing wasn't bad either! I guess you get what you pay for...

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Neither of those seem to be because of clam plate wobble (not saying there is no bent shaft problem, clearly there seems to be), but those 2 threads don't mention wobble at all. When you put a drill on an auger with shaver blades and no center point, it's gonna walk if you don't start slow, which happened to both of those guys, and another dude with the pistol bit earlier this year. I used my plate all last season with an m18 and k drill, no problems, didn't add grease either.

I also have the same setup. I believe there's more to these stories than we're being told...

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Dec 29, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I used my Kdrill,  Milwaukee, clam plate combo yesterday and was extremely happy! No wobble, cut through 7 inches of black ice like  butter! And the fishing wasn't bad either! I guess you get what you pay for...
Why do so many people have trouble with reading comprehension?

"You get what you pay for" as he pats himself on the back for not understanding the issue is the Clam plate that he just bought....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.