Author Topic: Clam plate wobble issue?  (Read 22794 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Clam plate wobble issue?
« Reply #120 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:19 PM »
wow page 5!

no problem lefty. he said it's all normal when he played your video several times (i could hear your drill running on his end of the phone call and he said he gets bashers every time at this time of the year) and just go cut holes with it. i knew then i wasn't getting any where with him.

i think the bend is where the the sides are ground on the shaft to hold the chuck as if it was offset before grinding them. maybe their jig is offset and they don't know or their cnc specs are off.

some thing is messed up for certain besides their attitude.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I think we are all experiencing the same issue. I have also tried to contact Clam with no luck.

Has anyone had ice to try to see if in fact it does cut?

This is very frustrating, I have been looking to add this to the aresonal for some time and when I finally pull the trigger and have to worry if it will cut when I am out there or not. I guess I will make sure I have the Handel for the auger with me when I try. I know that will work!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #122 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:30 PM »
3300, I tried everything I could today to make it run smooth. The only time it ran smooth is when I had the extension just barely on the plate shaft. Not anywhere near where the holes line up. I was just trying to get them to send me a new shaft if they would. I was just on their site looking to see if I could buy one but that was a no go either. When I first had this problem I remembered about the Kovak Ice Master and bought one. It came today and with it attached to the Extension it runs smooth. I ran my setup all last year with no problems. I will run it from now on with out the Clam plate.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #123 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:32 PM »
I think we are all experiencing the same issue. I have also tried to contact Clam with no luck.

Has anyone had ice to try to see if in fact it does cut?

This is very frustrating, I have been looking to add this to the aresonal for some time and when I finally pull the trigger and have to worry if it will cut when I am out there or not. I guess I will make sure I have the Handel for the auger with me when I try. I know that will work!
I tried cutting ice 2 times and only cut 10 holes because of the wobble. More like someone else stated, It is stirring the auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I tried cutting ice 2 times and only cut 10 holes because of the wobble. More like someone else stated, It is stirring the auger.

Dang, mine looks like yours did in the video. If only they would just rectify the problem and send the part that isn't correct!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #125 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Yeah I wont ever use the plate again. I may have ruined my blades with all the wobble. At least I have 2 more sets for it.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:44 PM »
It just isn't right though. We paid for a product that is  suppose to work a certain way and it's not. They should make this right. They are suppose to be a reputable company.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:50 PM »
oh no i just bought a new one on a great deal to use this weekend.  think i'll bring my first gen that i can trust.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:52 PM »
oh no i just bought a new one on a great deal to use this weekend.  think i'll bring my first gen that i can trust.

If you try it, please let us know how you make out with it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #129 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:57 PM »
I think someone better send them an email with the link to this thread so they can see how many thousand views their bad product and lack of support will get.

Fwiw my buddy had a non hardened one that twisted like a twizzler the first time he used it. I sent an email to clam and they sent me a new hardened adaptor shaft right away. This was two seasons ago i think.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #130 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:01 PM »
sorry about your blades lefty. try calling dicks sports and explain what is going on. the only reason to need the box is for resale. tell them it is damaged/bent shaft and causing damages to your auger right from the box. it might be worse than you think, it may have bent the auger where it holds the blades.

they should have no reason to try to resell it.
thinking they want to keep their customers and it might bring in new ones from them stepping up.

Call Us
1-877-846-9997

Wish I had a plate and extension.  I would take it to work and find out EXACTLY how crapty it was, down to .0001" and then ask what they allow for tolerances and runout on the extensions before telling them what I got, lol.

That is frustrating 3300.  Can you get your money back and just get a new plate and extension?

yes, i have a return shipping label printed out sitting on their box for the plate. it's also for sale on the for sale board, but no one wants it (shocker). i could have went to buy more of them to try to find a straight one using my drill in my vehicle in their parking lot, but the brand or rather the lack of customer service and their attitude makes me sick.

the clam extension has sat in it's package for two years or longer because we haven't had a hard winter in years. i got it out just to see how this plate would feel for weight and balance. i  have been trying to help fix the issue as i try when i see an issue on products we all use. some companies crave the input while others tell you where to put it. frabil dropped the ball and said return it. clam is saying it's all good, use it bent with 2 inches of run out that he saw on lefty's video. yet he said if it were bent it would cause major issues at the auger end.

there are a few people who think it is rigdid's fault that the clam plat shaft is bent and i am sticking with this to make sure there is no uncertainty that it has nothing to do with any drill manufacturer.

mine will go back on dicks sports dime and clam can damage it out then and lose more customers for not willing to step up and take care of this. maybe if enough people get hurt they might listen.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #131 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Dicks doesnt resell returns anyways, they go to a warehouse and the mfg either requests a return or they just issue credit to the store. Then dicks sells returns by the truck load, i used to sell that stuff for a business. They bought returns for a penny on the dollar. and I sold them, the good stuff as open box and bad stuff as parts. They should not require a box... Just hop online and request a return or call customer service and explain its defective out of the box. They may just credit your card and say keep it, they did that with me twice for broken in shipment rods. Otherwise they will email you a RMA label and you just slap it on a box with the adapter in it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #132 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Contacted Dicks and they said to contact Clam. Looks like I am screwed. I did send Clam one more email and laid on the line. Told them to either refund my money or replace the defective product. I guess I will see tomorrow if they even respond.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:03 PM »
I will send one as well.

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:59 PM »
So I spent a lot of time messing around with my setup today trying to reduce/eliminate the wobble. I am using a new Ridgid Octane hammer drill with a 2 year old Clam plate and Clam extension with a 7” Mora auger. I tried multiple kinds of tape trying to find the tightest fit while still being able to disassemble if necessary. I found that 2 wraps of electric tape was the best for reducing the wobble. It is not perfect, but much better than before and I plan to try it on the ice tomorrow.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:07 PM »
So I spent a lot of time messing around with my setup today trying to reduce/eliminate the wobble. I am using a new Ridgid Octane hammer drill with a 2 year old Clam plate and Clam extension with a 7” Mora auger. I tried multiple kinds of tape trying to find the tightest fit while still being able to disassemble if necessary. I found that 2 wraps of electric tape was the best for reducing the wobble. It is not perfect, but much better than before and I plan to try it on the ice tomorrow.

Thank you. Please let us know and good luck! That is the same exact set up I intend to use.  Wobble permitting of course.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #136 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Contacted Dicks and they said to contact Clam. Looks like I am screwed. I did send Clam one more email and laid on the line. Told them to either refund my money or replace the defective product. I guess I will see tomorrow if they even respond.
keep calling until you get an rma with a prepaid shipping label. they have a 60 day return policy. just tell them you want a refund. don't say the box is gone. put it in any box and send it back. all they need is your order number.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #137 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:09 AM »
keep calling until you get an rma with a prepaid shipping label. they have a 60 day return policy. just tell them you want a refund. don't say the box is gone. put it in any box and send it back. all they need is your order number.
Yeah I think I will. I know how to hound people into submission. I once got a job that way. LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #138 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Got my Return shipping label from Dicks and got the plate boxed up. When UPS opens it is on it's way back. Clam never contacted me on it.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Got my Return shipping label from Dicks and got the plate boxed up. When UPS opens it is on it's way back. Clam never contacted me on it.

Do you need the box?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #140 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Do you need the box?
I wont show you the terrible job I did re-boxing it but it is pretty bad. The return Shipping label just says "Three simple steps can make all the difference: use a corrugated box, provide internal protection such as bubble wrapping, and close your container securely."
I used a huge box and cut it down so it is as small as possible.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:53 AM »
I wont show you the terrible job I did re-boxing it but it is pretty bad. The return Shipping label just says "Three simple steps can make all the difference: use a corrugated box, provide internal protection such as bubble wrapping, and close your container securely."
I used a huge box and cut it down so it is as small as possible.

ok great, did you take it apart?

What adapter would you guys suggest with a 7 inch Mora and the Ridgid Octane? obviously now I will have to put the handle on the drill.

Thanks for everything guys!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #142 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:57 AM »
ok great, did you take it apart?

What adapter would you guys suggest with a 7 inch Mora and the Ridgid Octane? obviously now I will have to put the handle on the drill.

Yes I took the u-bolt off and took out the screws to the upright and the trigger. Took out the Shaft and put these things in 2 zip lock bags. Everything sat pretty flat about 3 inches tall. I used my 7" Nero all last winter with just the drill handle. It worked great. I did buy the Kovack Ice Master adapter to attach to the auger this time around. This should work well for your Mora.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #143 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:01 AM »
3300. I checked the Nero Blades and where it is welded to the flight. I don't see any stress cracks on the welds anywhere. So I don't think it damaged anything.  The Nero part that the blades hook to is very heavy duty so if anything the shaft of the auger would probably bend.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #144 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Ive ran the kovac icemaster adapter for 6 years but with a 5” lazer and a cheap porter cable drill.my concern with a 8” mora and drill handle is either broken drill handle or my wrist with the 1300 in pound octane and large diameter auger.guess ill run it if the clam plate doesn’t work.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #145 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:09 AM »
DR.SPECKLER, Hopefully my problem isn't wide spread. After drilling a few holes you will know. Be careful because it made my auger walk around.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #146 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:13 AM »
DR.SPECKLER, Hopefully my problem isn't wide spread. After drilling a few holes you will know. Be careful because it made my auger walk around.
right.i didnt even want the clam plate due to bulk and weight but safety came to mind running a 8” mora with just the drill and side handle.hope the drill is built good and those handles dont snap off.im really not sold on a drill/auger setup reading all this.but im all in now i guess.lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #147 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:18 AM »

This one will get you some adjustable height ...add a Frisbee or bucket lid ..EZPZ

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/657283-hi-tech-fishing-12-power-ice-auger-adapter-shaft.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I'll need to back up Lefty on this one. I pulled my Ridgid Octane off the Clam plate and attached a Kovac IceMaster adaptor and then went straight to the flite section of a 7" Nero, no extension. It's a stubby little rig, only comes up to about mid-thigh at the handles but it drills fast and smooth and it's the lightest power rig on the ice. Oddly enough, I was running a Milwaukee Fuel last year with this same Clam plate and was spinning an 8" Blue Nils and an 8" LazerMag. Wobble was never an issue. Then I went to an Octane drill with a Nero auger and had nothing but problems. To me, the problem appears to be that the Octane's size and housing won't allow it to be mounted on the Clam plate in such a way to avoid an off center rotation which the Clam can't resist and is transmitted to the flites in the form of wobble. You'd think it would work but like my first two marriages, it just doesn't fit so good.

Stinky's marriage rule #1___ Keep a tight line and a loose drag.

Stinky's rule for finding a mate___ Guys, if you want to find a girl, learn to dance. Ladies, if you want to find a good guy, learn to fish.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Been using my clam plate for 3 seasons now. It does wobble, especially with 7" and 8" augers. With my 6" lazer it wobbles minimally so I have been using that for the past 2 seasons. I did encounter 2 bent clam extension shafts(new out of package) but the 3rd one has been good. The idea is great but the final product could use more QC.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.