Author Topic: Please except my apologies on the Eskimo Pistol bit Ouch!!  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I have the 6 inch and got a 8 inch big mistake. Had it on the clam plate started slow then it started walking on me tried a few more times not very good then before I knew it. I had a bloody boot, a gash about 1 inch long and a long walk back. Someone said on here before if it had a centering bit it would be good it needs it. Ridiculous how bad this one walks returning both of them for a K drill should have never sold it. Eskimo get your act together a lousy product and dangerous. I apologize for any endorsement I did on this product. I really tried to believe it was good but in the words of the great Gonzo: I knew it was wrong but did it anyway. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Please except my apologies on the Eskimo Pistol bit Ouch!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:01 PM »
You play with a bull you'll eventually get the horns..

It's not just the pistol bit, anything without a center point will walk. Most tools, especially good ones, can have dangerous results when mistakes are made. Look at chainsaws, very unforgiving..

Here's my story, right through the boot...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354423.msg3785625#msg3785625

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:03 PM »
WOW, sorry to here about your foot. Thanks for the review I am sure a lot of people will like to know this. It really did look good but looks are not everything. At least that is what I tell myself when I look in the mirror.
<===Lefty===

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Nils Arctic Trekker with Power Point Head.  That’s all I’m gonna say.  Cuts ice like a banshee on steroids and stays where you put it on the ice.  If you don’t have to deal with dirty ice/wind blown sand, the Nils cutting head is far superior to the K-Drill.  And yes, I own them both.

More importantly, thank you for warning others of the danger.  You’re a stand-up man.  Very sorry for your mishap also.  I hope you heal up quickly.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I’ll have to be careful with the standard eskimo hand auger I just got. I’m use to running my rig with a 7” lazer, I don’t think I’ve ever had it walk on me, maybe the first day using it...

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Very sorry that you got hurt, but a big thank you for sharing your experience with this new auger. Gives others a heads up and maybe a rethink.

RallyGreen

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Yes, thank you for sharing your misdventure so folks can void a similar situation! I personally sold my 8" nils (without a power point) some years ago for the same reason - it walked too much. Even if not hitting a foot, I worried about it tearing an expensive tent.

Now with higher rpm powerheads if anything goes wrong it could go wrong fast. If you get another 8" k drill, maybe try it with th fliytes rearranged like the 6". You may prefer it that way as I do

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Hi all boy I'm lucky only 14 stitches ouch. So what do I do I go out and buy a K drill get to the lake and it wont DRILL!!!! Round and round no good so I took it back. The 6 inch laser never walks on me i'm going with that. Thanks for the comments now to ice my foot. Ice Scratcher I remember now your post ouch my sympathies I feel terrible for any young person that grabs one of those Eskimos >:( ???

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Glad your alright. If you can find a 6" lazer synthetic, that will take a Strikemaster centering point.  Cuts a bigger 6.3" hole too.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:55 PM »
When using the hand augers without a centering point, it always takes a bit of pressure at the start so the blades dig. Once they dig your fine.

I had my 10in mora swing and cut my shoe and heel last year, but I had the bolts in the wrong way so the bolt head kept the blade from being able to cut.....lesson learned.

Sorry to hear about your luck Mrpike....So is ther an auger you haven't tried yet?.......maybe a nils with a power point?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:20 AM »
Nils Arctic Trekker with Power Point Head.  That’s all I’m gonna say.  Cuts ice like a banshee on steroids and stays where you put it on the ice.  If you don’t have to deal with dirty ice/wind blown sand, the Nils cutting head is far superior to the K-Drill.  And yes, I own them both.

More importantly, thank you for warning others of the danger.  You’re a stand-up man.  Very sorry for your mishap also.  I hope you heal up quickly.

DN

I've owned a few 8" heads with the PowerPoint and had great success.  No injuries!

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:46 AM »
I have never had my 6" nils walk, ever.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:52 AM »
I haven't had my 8" Nils walk on me, but I always start slow until it "bites" then pull the trigger a little more to keep drilling. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:12 AM »
So is there anyone else with eskimo pistol....I just ordered one, would like to hear a "second" opinion.....Sorry about your mishap OP.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:33 AM »
The 6 inch is OK but the 8 inch is really bad for walking.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:47 AM »
The 6 inch is OK but the 8 inch is really bad for walking.

Walking with injury, or you mean running and gunning?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I picked up an 8" and it's sitting in my garage waiting for a bit more ice to do a fair comparison against the KDrill.  I bet the amount of "walking" is directly related to the amount of snow on the ice (less snow,= more walking).   

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:56 AM »
I picked up an 8" and it's sitting in my garage waiting for a bit more ice to do a fair comparison against the KDrill.  I bet the amount of "walking" is directly related to the amount of snow on the ice (less snow,= more walking).

I drive a snowdog....I guess I am only concerned about drilling, not sure how the walking would be a problem with a 4 pound auger though, compared to any auger for that matter.....

I just hope it isn't a pita to operate....would hate to get cut like that. Not a whole lot of videos out there of it on ice. I bought it cause it is true 8" and got a deal from DSG. I was going to buy the 7" Nero but the extra inch seemed worth it  ;) (ask your girlfriend if it makes a difference ;D)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Walking with injury, or you mean running and gunning?
I believe he ment walking/wobbling on the ice when you start to drill.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:01 AM »

Meaning spinning with the drill?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Meaning spinning with the drill?
Yes, since shaver blades don’t cut as aggressively or start on a point like a lazer or nills, they can spin off to the sides if your not careful. Just start slow with a bit of downward pressure, and have a wide stance away from the blades. Once the blades bite the ice and start cutting, the hole itself will keep the unit from jumping around. If you watch any of the cringing videos of people using their drills in high speed and see the blades just bouncing off the ice you’ll see what I’m talking about.
On that note, if anyone wanted to “play” with the drill auger on high speed in thick ice (not recommended, especially if it’s a lazer style auger that catches on bottom), make sure the hole is already started an couple inches before changing gears and letting her rip.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Yes, since shaver blades don’t cut as aggressively or start on a point like a lazer or nills, they can spin off to the sides if your not careful. Just start slow with a bit of downward pressure, and have a wide stance away from the blades. Once the blades bite the ice and start cutting, the hole itself will keep the unit from jumping around. If you watch any of the cringing videos of people using their drills in high speed and see the blades just bouncing off the ice you’ll see what I’m talking about.
On that note, if anyone wanted to “play” with the drill auger on high speed in thick ice (not recommended, especially if it’s a lazer style auger that catches on bottom), make sure the hole is already started an couple inches before changing gears and letting her rip.

Nice to know the difference. Makes sense that the sharp points on the Nils prevent walking. Never had mine walk at all.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:53 AM »

yes I meant the auger "walking" or slipping as referred to by the OP by cutting his foot.   I bet it it's worse when there is no snow on the ice to stabilize the drill as it is starting out. 

RallyGreen

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I imagine it might be worse with mounded, bare ice. With my past nils (no power point), i would get a lot of walking (also heard it called "drift" when talking about drilling metal ) even when using it as a hand auger on lake winnipeg. It cut great, but would skate around a bit unless I put more pressure on it when starting. Since the instructions say zero pressure, I didn't want to mess it up and sold it. A part of me wonders if it would be especially bad when it's super cold out, like how colder ice is faster in a rink...

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:19 AM »
So can one avoid this by going real slow on the trigger? I really am not excited with those timing comparison videos trying to drill through ice in under 5 seconds....I'd rather go slow and avoid injury?

RallyGreen

« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:24 AM »
With the pistol you mean? I don't know, haven't used one. If the blades are angled differently on a given drill, it will always want to walk regardless of speed. Shaft flex causes drills to walk, too. I would say just go slow and see. Could be a quality control issue for all anyone knows so far

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Sorry all I ment walking as in the bit not starting right away and yes on glare ice it's horrible. I went to the store I bought them, Pistol bit's that is and talked with the fishing manager he told me to try, get this the Eskimo 6 inch hand auger Just like a Mora. I did it never walked even when I tried it lightly went right through nicely and the cover is better than the Mora, My wife tried it and said way better I little rough on the break through but as we both found just ease up on it and works good. May get a 7 inch for tip ups. what a mess and my foot hurts like you know what. On the way to the store we tried the 6 inch Pistol again with the wife and she has drilled hundreds of holes said to dangerous it goes back. She could not get enough force down to start slowly to be safe. I have tried the Mora before and I'm positive they are the same auger but this one worked great and for only 30 bucks. I should become a auger consumer reports tester ;D. Bottom line I want no one to get hurt :)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I called Eskimo to complain they said you need to start slow then speed up OK great. It says no where in the owners manual to do this how ever with anything new I did start slow. I told them my thoughts respectfully but after $180 boots ruined and a bill not happy  >:( A auger should be put on ice apply slight pressure hit power button lift out of hole and repeat.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I called Eskimo to complain they said you need to start slow then speed up OK great. It says no where in the owners manual to do this how ever with anything new I did start slow. I told them my thoughts respectfully but after $180 boots ruined and a bill not happy  >:( A auger should be put on ice apply slight pressure hit power button lift out of hole and repeat.

I agree.....we'll see if more folks have these issues, it might become Eskimo's nightmare product if it dances around cutting things......I believe I have 60 days to return it if I hate it.....hope to get it shipped fast and take it on the ice....the ice here is like a mirror right now.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:02 PM »
I truly hope it works great for you, but please be careful it happened so quick I could not let go fast enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.