Author Topic: Clam Plate problem  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Clam Plate problem
« on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:00 PM »
So while watching it rain today, I decided to piddle in the garage with my ice gear and after re-assembling my Milwaukee Fuel to my Clam Plate and testing, I noticed my drill wobbling pretty bad.  Turns out, after some investigation, that the shaft on my Clam Plate is bent, or more precisely, twisted-bent.  I wouldn't have believed the drill, powerful as it is, could have twisted this shaft (the part that gets chucked in the drill).  You can see the twist in it with the naked eye.  Has anyone else experienced this?  A bad batch of really soft steel?  I only got to fish about five days with it last year, maybe 75 holes, and I didn't notice the drill wobbling on the ice, but I guess I'm not focused on the drill itself while drilling holes.

I'll be calling Clam Corp on Monday morning for a remedy.  Hopefully they'll send me a new,hopefully harder shaft to me on the house.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Plate problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I'm going to guess you ran an 8" bit.. Lazer?

If that was the case, I'm not totally surprised. If you think about it, that's a lot of torque on that one piece.

Shoot..

Good luck on the fix..

<°)))>{

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up and keep us posted. As you probably know, many of us have clam plates and it will probably happen to someone else. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest on how this plays out.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Nope, 8" K-Drill.   I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it with my own eyes.  Must be some really soft steel.  Owning my own company with a tool shop has its benefits.  If Clam gives me the runaround on replacing it, I'll just have a new one made out of harder steel.  Definitely going to press Clam to fix it first though.  This product is supposed to be designed to handle the stresses of augering through ice and my shop rate cost is about $40/hr. lol. I can have it tested for hardness.  Would be interesting to see how soft it really is.

You can see the clockwise twist from bottom of the stud to the top.  It doesn't look too bad to the naked eye, but it makes the drill wobble like crazy.

Oh, the red thing to the left is my el-cheapo bubble level, so I can drill straight. lols

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I think the clam plate is going to have issues that why I made a franken mora out spare parts like a laser conversion a clam plate adaptor threaded mora adaptor and a offset handle mora so best of all mora's now I got a 7 inch franken mora.. lol's but any how I think there is going to be lots of issues with it cause it new but for sure am waiting on buying the drill cause of these issues.. now that I am  hearing about these issues .. buying a  drill is going to wait till they get it strightend out .. like the gear box issue.. then when they do I will be happy ..

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:59 PM »
K drills aren't even supposed to be very hard to turn...

Is it aluminum?

Hopefully they'll step up..

<°)))>{

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Hey Scratcher.  No, it's steel, but if I bite into it, I leave a dental impression! lol. It's very soft steel.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Does your plate have the Gear box also ? ..there has been some issues with Clam Plate w/Gear box ...Recall in place

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336387.0

but that twist is a new one as best as I can recall
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Hi hd.  No Gearbox.  New Clam Plate last fall.  Only 75 holes tops.  As said previously, I almost didn't believe my own eyes.  It's twisting like a candy cane.

Ps:  I haven't had an opportunity to interact with you directly on the Ice Shanty, but thank you for your many and regular contributions.  You've been extremely helpful to many, including me, on a regular basis. Thank you.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Made in China need say more??

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:38 PM »
To bad you don't live closer cause I got a clam plate I am not useing with the old style removable chuck eND  lol's .. if you need it let me know but you got to remove the drill chuck to use it which is a pita all by its self.. on my box when I revived it first thing I noticed was made in China and thought to my self that's not good !!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Thanks CW!  I'm sure I will get things worked out with Clam.  They might put out some junk here and there, but they seem to stand behind it when it counts.  We'll see.  I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Hi hd. 

Ps:  I haven't had an opportunity to interact with you directly on the Ice Shanty, but thank you for your many and regular contributions.  You've been extremely helpful to many, including me, on a regular basis. Thank you.

Thanks ...I have been helped by many a member on this site both personally and in general . The membership of IS is filled with some of the greatest ,helpful and responsive anglers ...and I am glad to be a part of this great site .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:01 PM »
I'm just a little curious. Did the auger ever bind while drilling? And if so did you try to keep drilling? If yes then that might be what caused it to twist slightly. When that happens with my setup I just stop drilling and reset myself.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2016, 01:14 AM »
sent a link to this post to my contacts at Clam customer service. they should be able to help you out.

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2016, 01:36 AM »
I'm just a little curious. Did the auger ever bind while drilling? And if so did you try to keep drilling? If yes then that might be what caused it to twist slightly. When that happens with my setup I just stop drilling and reset myself.

Hi rr78.  Not that I can recall, but the last hole I drilled in the ice was 10 months ago.  I wasn't the only one operating it either.  Both my BIL and son drilled holes with it as well.  The whole outfit; drill, plate and auger never got much of a workout as we never had more than 6" of ice over the two weekends we got to fish.

Thanks Monticatgeek!  Appreciate your help!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:01 PM »
I heard back from my contact in customer service. he told me to have you fill out a warranty claim form. Include the picture with the form( there is a section to add it in.)

here is the link to the form :

http://clamoutdoors.com/pages/warranty-form
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:59 AM »
Thanks Monticatgeek.  I filed the claim form.  I couldn't locate a receipt, only the Packing List.  I ordered online direct from Clam and I may have not even printed a receipt off.  Can't remember.

In the meantime, I had the shaft Rockwell C tested here at work.  The end in question(the bit)tested out at 43 and the round(auger)end at 53.  Not sure what the specs are supposed to be.  53 across the entire piece would make more sense.  Dunno.  Waiting to hear from Clam now.  Maybe it just wasn't hardened properly.  The chuck making such noticeable impressions was a tipoff that the material was really soft.  Imagine if your drill's chuck did that to your drill bits... 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:17 AM »
DN I do recall others  last year or so on IS... getting some indentations on their Clam shafts ...caused by the drill chuck . Lets know how you make out . Good luck.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:52 AM »
DN I do recall others  last year or so on IS... getting some indentations on their Clam shafts ...caused by the drill chuck . Lets know how you make out . Good luck.

Yep, started by Fisherman-Andy.  I was one of the posters in the thread.  Surprised that I didn't notice the twist at that point.  Weird.  February 29, 2016

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330307.0

I'll keep everyone informed how the process goes with Clam.

Mark

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I just received an e-mail response from Clam on the Warranty Claim.  It reads as follows:

"I am very sorry for the inconvenience, I have an order placed and a new motor shaft on the way!

Have a great season on the ice!

Mike R."

Can't beat that I guess!  Kudos to Clam CS.  Special thanks to Monticatgeek for his assistance!  Very much appreciated Sir.

Mark

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I sent them an email on Friday about my recalled gear box and haven't heard anything back...

Not impressed myself..

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:38 PM »
clam gave me the run around on their nitinol titanium spring bobbers or whatever they were called last year.they went limp in the cold .they wanted the receipt  and bobbers. pics of the bobbers in the cold. when I bought them.what a hassle for some defective 10 dollar indicators.i threw them in the garbage.they knew their 1st run of indicators were junk.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2016, 02:44 PM »
clam does have good customer service! it doesn't change the quality of the products tho. you get more of the same. it would benefit every one involved to field test this stuff before releasing it to the public.
hope your new shaft works out for you.
keep us posted!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2016, 02:49 PM »
I sent them an email on Friday about my recalled gear box and haven't heard anything back...

Not impressed myself..

<°)))>{

Still nothing...

<°)))>{

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Great idea on the bubble level.  Never thought of that but there is plenty of space on the plate to glue something like that on.  Hope you guys get this resolved.  As stated, I've always had good luck with Clam customer service.

Scratcher; what is going on with the gear box?  This is the first I've heard of a recall? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:50 PM »

Scratcher; what is going on with the gear box?  This is the first I've heard of a recall? 

Clam reported that appox 200 or so were produced with a powered gears as opposed to a stamped gear ...so recalling/warranting them all back 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336387.0

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:21 PM »

They were recalled because the gears were formed using pot metal aka China steel... I guess the next one's are supposed to be cut I.e. machined...

I tried it out tonight, didn't even get 4 inches down before the gears shattered...

Back to my 6" until I hear back from China...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:41 AM »
any thing any one?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I talked to someone there earlier this week...

They said as soon as they know something I'll see a reply to my email I sent over a week ago.. ???

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.