Author Topic: Clam Plate problem  (Read 6644 times)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Plate problem
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:21 AM »
we used a clam plate last year on our kdrill/milwaukee combo.  this year i just use the t bar and frankly like it better.   i too like some of the clam products but man their quality has gone down the tubes.   

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2016, 03:40 AM »
I received my warranty shaft Friday.  It is black anodized, so it is not the same as the original, but whether it's better quality remains to be seen.  Will post an update and comparison to the original as soon as I can drill some holes.  What ice we had here in nw PA is going fast.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:27 AM »
thanks for the update. last i knew ss is soft metal. what did your tests at the shop report on the stock shaft?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:38 PM »
The round auger end tested @ 53 and the drill bit end was 43.(reply #17)  We suspect the round stock that the shaft was machined from was case hardened and when the hexagonal bit was machined out, all of the temper was removed leaving very soft steel underneath.  I'll have the warranty shaft tested when I get back to work on Tuesday.  I did chuck it up in the Milwaukee Fuel and the chuck left minimal, barely visible indentations.  A good sign the the warranty shaft is harder steel.

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:07 AM »
We just finished playing around with the new warranty shaft I received from Clam here at work, and it (at least the surface) is VERY hard.  Rockwell C testing in the upper 70s and low 80s, and a metal file won't put a scratch in it.  It is definitely different than the original shaft.  Our guess is that this piece was hardened AFTER the machining of the bit was done, not before.  Dunno for sure.  This shaft should work fine though.  Crossing fingers.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Good luck with it...

I guess they are ignoring my request for communication...

<°))))>{

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Were you drilling with the drill in hammer mode? I've heard hammer drilling with an ice auger worm can twist adaptors? Just a thought, I would make sure it's not in hammer mode.
Chasing Ice

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Were you drilling with the drill in hammer mode? I've heard hammer drilling with an ice auger worm can twist adaptors? Just a thought, I would make sure it's not in hammer mode.

Running hammer mode on a drill wouldn't make any more torque than regular mode.. Might screw up your blades, but it wouldn't twist the shaft any more than regular mode...

If you somehow adapted an auger to an impact driver, that might do it...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.