Author Topic: How's your gen 4 clam plate (no chuck removal) holding up? Any issues?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
How's everyone's clam plate holding up?

Looks like mines is going to strip or break off sooner or later.  The chuck of the drill bites down and locks hard it has left metal shavings and dents on the clam shaft adapter.  And my drill chuck has not loosen or slip at all from the clam plate this season yet.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
I got mine along with a 6" Orange NILS Auger & DeWalt Cordless Drill early this season.  Here in OHIO, we've had a very light ice fishing season, so I havent had to use it very hard during few days I've managed to get on the ice.  Totally, I'd say I've drilled 400 holes sofar this season, but no problems so far.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
mine is doing the samething...I have the Milwaukee fuel drill on it I adapted mine so I can drill a 8" hole & mine is getting tore up ...A lot worst than yours I need to file mine down now...
images.jpeg

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I just took my auger apart in preparation for storage on Saturday.  My Clam Plate "bit" is identical to the OP's.  Same indentations.  I don't think it's an issue as the chuck never came loose, but I will try and rechuck it the same everytime now, so the indentations are always located where the chuck bites in.  I also have the Milwaukee 2704-22, 1200 ip drill.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

luv2fish2

yeah i was thinking they might have a problem when i first seen that  , i got first gen i don't like the whole take the chuck off thing but it beats the hex failure  i've dedicated my milwaukee to being a auger no switching

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
It's simply cheap China steel. Too soft for the intended usage is all.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mine's worked great all season long.  Every once in awhile I have to re-tighten my drill on the shaft but other than that, it's worked great and I'm running an 8" Lazer with it.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
I haven't had any problems with mine and I have used it for 3 seasons. Oh wait, that's right I built my own and I saw no need to take the chuck off. They basically ripped my design off.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
I see a market for a nice made in the USA hardened version for replacements. Now if I could find a retired guy to come in and run the lathe, kc?

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven't had any problems with mine and I have used it for 3 seasons. Oh wait, that's right I built my own and I saw no need to take the chuck off. They basically ripped my design off.

I looked through your old posts and you deleted the pictures of your build, I would be interested in seeing it.  From the text in your posts I wouldn't say you got ripped off by Clam, more they improved your design, which is likely pretty good starting point.  You should have gotten a design patent on it and been able to gain off of it if there wasn't already a drill adapter out there.

I have the Clam plate, latest edition, and love it.  Their bearing design keeps the load off the drill so all it needs to do is turn.  The plate with the handles and drill trigger makes it a complete package.  Wouldn't go to a gasser unless I need a bigger auger, even then, with the 9Ah battery coming from Milwaukee I bet you will be able to go to an 8" auger and maybe a 10" no problem.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
has anyone tried asking Clam about this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.