Author Topic: Humane way to kill fish  (Read 13301 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re: Humane way to kill fish
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I give em a decent whack
Gee i wonder if the same people that are against animal cruelty have anything to say when a person is electrocuted or put on the firing squad.  I bet some of them would say electrocuting someone is  just fine.   They need to let things be, i wonder if those same people know how they kill cows, pigs, and chickens and i can almost bet that some of them eat those very products too. 
who cares what the anit think its our goverental right to fish, kill, or release.

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Hey, this guns and fishing thing could create a whole new sport...Perch Skeet :roflmao:  Seriously though, I release the majority of what I catch (sorry Adolph), and what I do keep  depends on the species.  Perch and pannies go on the ice, but I started bleeding my eyes last year, and think the quality of the meat is much better that way.  As for the anti's, if man were meant to eat grass, he'd have four legs, stand in a field and say moo.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline shiner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Native Vermont Icer
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Hey, this guns and fishing thing could create a whole new sport...Perch Skeet :roflmao:  Seriously though, I release the majority of what I catch (sorry Adolph), and what I do keep  depends on the species.  Perch and pannies go on the ice, but I started bleeding my eyes last year, and think the quality of the meat is much better that way.  As for the anti's, if man were meant to eat grass, he'd have four legs, stand in a field and say moo.
People Eating Tasty Animals     Pass the gravy    SHINER 8)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:47 PM »
For all you anti types out there. I simply put them back down the hole and let them return to their mommy's fins. :thumbsup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »
All pannies that I catch and keep(which isnt usually much) I throw them on the ice. I have tried killing them in a more humane way by thumping them but even after that sometimes they still dont die. Trout I usually bleed them and I like filleting dead ones better, less spooky ;)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Instead of filleting your fish alive, just stab them in the brain, it takes about 2 seconds to do. I hate to fillet a living fish.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:43 PM »
  I throw my panfish on the ice to flash freeze them .  When I rinse them off, if any
of them are still flopping I stick the knife point in the backbone about where you'd cut the head off.  If that doesn't work then I shoot em. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:51 PM »
The Clam
********* PERCH SKEET !!!  You're killing me here  :woot: :clap: :woot: :clap:

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:53 PM »
well, as most of you probably know, i carry on the ice so a .357 to the head does a good job of puttin em out!   ;)  but in all seriousness, i give my fish a whack on the back of the head with my skimmer. they do a lil kibby for a few seconds and done.

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:09 PM »
We'll have to come up with a launcher because guys jigging arms will probably wear out throwing them.  Mabey we could use one of those surgical tube baloon launchers.  I know for a fact they can make a great launch over the ice. ;D  They scattered like c**kroaches when the lights come on :thumbsup:  The one we have will launch 1/3 mile but they make smaller models that would be appropriate for skeet shooting.   

SAFETY NOTE   When launching baloons over the ice, it is advisable not to use frozen baloons :cookoo: :woot: :callcops:
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

grumpymoe

« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:24 PM »
heck....I have no problem answering this post.....for the Anti's...seasoned oak 4x4 with a minimum 5 blows.....larger gamefish a 2x4 will usually do the trick 3 times....burbot are a different dilemna....10 with a a 2x4.....and then give em a good stab with a knife when there's any sign of movement during the skinning stage.....Grump ;D

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:27 PM »
for the Anti's...seasoned oak 4x4 with a minimum 5 blows.....

ROFLMAO    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Hookjaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • worst day fishin is better 'n the best day workin
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:29 PM »
who cares what the antis think. They have nothing better to do then to try and ruin our fun. One quote to them b@$t@rd$:

THERES PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ALL GODS CREATURES.... RIGHT NEXT TO THE MASHED POTATOES
There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse.  Either is a gain over just staying home - Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Shoot them into the back of you're truck with a potato gun...then you wont even have to pick them up when you leave .. the abrupt stop when they hit the back of the cab will usually do them in !!! :D

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:34 PM »
I like to keep my fish fresh, if I can remember I drop them in a bucket with some ice water

I actually have 4 or 5 nice perch swimming in the bait tank (ooops there goes all the cup bait)

I generally terminate them with the fillet knife right from the bucket

i like to see my wife squirm when the heads are still wigglin and the fillets are in the pan :)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Thats good Grump  :roflmao: :roflmao: and Trevor - you had everyone wondering..........

The reason you have to kill them in Maine is partially because people would chisel a live well in the ice to keep the fish alive, then if they were limited out, throw one back if they caught a bigger one.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Did anyone know Ernest Hemingway accidently shot himself in the leg dispatching a large saltwater fish in the boat? I don't remember what kind it was though. Sailfish, Tuna or something. Ouch!

I don't think I'd want to be firing at something in a boat anyway. Seems to me if you screwed up you could have a hole in the boat!  :o
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:33 PM »
    They have "bang sticks" now.    It is pretty much a stick with a 12 gauge on the end of it.   Guys up north use them for un-cooperative halibut, guys down south use them on 'gators.   

Id like to see someone use one on a gill   :D
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:57 PM »
or your leg!

Mac
Where'd you hear that?  :sick: ;)2
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:25 AM »
    They have "bang sticks" now.    It is pretty much a stick with a 12 gauge on the end of it.   Guys up north use them for un-cooperative halibut, guys down south use them on 'gators.   

Id like to see someone use one on a gill   :D

Damn you beat me to it! lol yes up here in AK we shoot fish for real!

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:02 AM »

Sigh...... time to dust this old chestnut off again.http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20040510/024871.html
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:33 AM »
For panfish, I just throw them in the bucket or on the ice.  For larger fish, like pike and larger trout, the gaff usually does a pretty good job of dispatching them! ;)

As far as shooting fish goes, my friend was fishing in New Jersey and caught a mako shark.  As he aas getting it up to the boat, one of the deck hands stepped in front of him and shot it in the head 3 times with a 12 gauge!  :o  Guess they weren't particularly thrilled with the idea of gaffing that one...  :D

-Zach

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:25 AM »
Sigh...... time to dust this old chestnut off again.http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20040510/024871.html

thats is good s**t!!!!! :thumbsup: :clap: Can out of staters take part?  ;D

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:06 AM »
Up at school, a friend of mine from Vermont has actually invited me to go and shoot pike this spring.  I can't wait!  :D

-Zach

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Let them flop

Offline T-Bone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Hey Guys
Myself I use a 30.06 180 grain boatail First I lay the fish on the ice Spice generously Insert barrel in mouth of fish and pull trigger It skins guts and cooks them all in one shot. it seems to work well on fish 2 pounds or better{ any smaller and theres not much to eat} I call this the Alberta backwoods barbeque Use caution as firearms can be dangerous! IT sure beats a shore lunch as the fish is so much fresher.Now as for hashbrowns I use.......

This ones for you Trevor

T-Bone
T-Bone

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:05 PM »
POUR VODKA IN THEIR GILLS.....WORKS ON BLUEFISH....IT'S CLEAN, EASY, AND QUICK

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:43 PM »
1. Hit them over the head with the frying pan
2. Throw them in with some hot oil, fry until done.

Kill it and Grill it!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:57 PM »
1. Hit them over the head with the frying pan
2. Throw them in with some hot oil, fry until done.

Kill it and Grill it!
wow!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:56 PM »
POUR VODKA IN THEIR GILLS.....WORKS ON BLUEFISH....IT'S CLEAN, EASY, AND QUICK

Why waste perfectly good Vodka BlueFin?   ;D  Couldn't ya just club 'em with the empty bottle?  :pinch:
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.