Author Topic: Humane way to kill fish  (Read 13293 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Humane way to kill fish
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:19 AM »
I was just wandering what the general consesus is among iceshany members concerning this topic. How do you kill your catch? Do you whack them on the head? Do you poke them in the brain with a fillet knife? Or, do you just leave them on the ice until you get home?

billybono

Re: Humane way to kill fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:33 AM »
this isnt the p.c answer...but im on the top of the food chain so who cares....honestly..let em flop untill i can get a knife in the tasty mo fo's

billybono

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:02 AM »
usually just let 'em flop  >:D though i cuold thump 'em on the head and save there agony  :angel

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:10 AM »
while this is a good topic, i would like to just say that in my opinion, this is the kind of thread that the antis will extract whatever they think you can use against us and they can do a lot with a little. think before you answer this question as you might see yourself quoted somewhere!i decline to answer and i apologize to wyogaor for trying to kill your thrad but i just dont want to give the antis anything to work with. like i said this is just my opinion and everyone has the choice to answer or not

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:57 AM »
...i just dont want to give the antis anything to work with. like i said this is just my opinion and everyone has the choice to answer or not

Well, I eat fish and they have to die some how.
About half an hour on the ice usually takes care of that...  8)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:09 AM »
I usually dispatch them with a club (the last foot of a shovel handle). Just the right tap and one blow is enough.  (Burbot take a bit of authority).
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:23 AM »
WELL I USUALLY START WITH A LITTLE BIT OF HOT CANOLA OIL AND THEN   ;D
A LITTLE DRY HUMOR.
JUST A QUICK RAP TO THE OLD BEAN I FIND TO WORK WELL OR PUT THE PIKE ON A STRINGER THROUGH A SPARE HOLE TO KEEP THEM REAL FRESH !

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:33 AM »
i let mine flop.........
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:01 AM »
It's against the law to let them flop here in Maine. If you are keeping the fish, it has to be killed immediately. A quick thump on the head with my leatherman works well.

Offline shikepoke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:27 AM »
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I don't live in Maine!
Sounds like you guys are on a downhill slide.
In the future you will probably have to watch where you step & if you step on a bug & kill it you will probably be prosecuted, persecuted & Bar-B cuted!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:40 AM »
i let mine flop.........

The fish or the anti?  :roflmao:

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Stick a stout blade in their brain & give it a twist.   ;)2

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:42 AM »
I just let them flop,  then when I get home if they are still alive a quick whack on the head takes care of them  ;)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:58 AM »
I let them flop on the ice, and then pop my Gerber blade right in between the eyes. I think it kills them instantly.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:11 AM »
Here in Alberta it is also illegal to let em flop.  The law requires us to carry a firearm of smaller caliber.  I just use a .22 handgun loaded with shorts.  It fits well in the tackle box.  One well placed shot just behind the gill usually does it ;)2

Trevor

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:13 AM »
I can't believe people are even answering this question, IT IS A FISH!   Let it sit on the ice until you take it home and put in the sink and the water unfreezes it and it starts to flop around.  I think the sound of my electric filet knife gives them a heart attack long before the blade actually does the deed.

hali-man

« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:14 AM »
The law requires us to carry a firearm of smaller caliber. 

Are you serious?  :o
Jebus! That's a little overkill if you ask me.
Do you have to hunt deer with a canon?

Offline mikeyc0203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ayooooooo
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:29 AM »
if thats truu about the handgun then i thinks thats weird..i have never heard of shooting a fish to kill them but w.e.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Shooting fish is very interesting!It would get you thrown in jail here for reckless endagerment on some lakes.To many people.I'd have to say that if you carried a generator of some sort you could stun them and then shoot them.LOL
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

billybono

« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Here in Alberta it is also illegal to let em flop.  The law requires us to carry a firearm of smaller caliber.  I just use a .22 handgun loaded with shorts.  It fits well in the tackle box.  One well placed shot just behind the gill usually does it ;)2

Trevor

THATS AWESOME!!!!!!

billybono

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Trevor is not responding probably because he can't straighten up he's laughing so hard.  "Darkest Alberta" has no provision for carrying handguns while fishing, or hunting for that matter unless you're a policeman.   Federal law severely limits handgun use in Canada, contrary to what all that election crap says.  You guys are just waaayy too easy.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

billybono

« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:07 AM »
too bad....i was getting ready to move there  ;D ;D ;D

billybono

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:35 AM »
Trevor is not responding probably because he can't straighten up he's laughing so hard.  "Darkest Alberta" has no provision for carrying handguns while fishing, or hunting for that matter unless you're a policeman.   Federal law severely limits handgun use in Canada, contrary to what all that election crap says.  You guys are just waaayy too easy.

BUSTED!!! ;D  Ah man......I'm wiping away the tears here.  Just got back from picking up my truck from the mechanic's house and read the responses :roflmao:

I'm sorry guys I just couldn't resist :D.  Buzzbomb is right.  Handgun use is very restricted.  I would never think of firing a firearm at a lake's surface.

My real opinion is that Billdit is rite.  The antis would love this one.  They need any little lame a$$ thing they can get to support their weak agenda. 

If I plan to keep a fish I club it on the head as soon as it comes onto the ice.....Otherwise I handle them as carefully as possible and release them ;)

Trevor

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Just so the antis know I ONLY CATH FISH THAT ARE SUICIDAL.Just call me Dr Kevorkian :cookoo: :tipup:

Gerry

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:36 AM »
It's against the law to let them flop here in Maine. If you are keeping the fish, it has to be killed immediately. A quick thump on the head with my leatherman works well.

Wow you're kidding. I never thought of Maine as that poltically correct. Read the following if you want to see how far a country can slide down a slippery slope.

In Germany catch and release fishing is AGAINST THE LAW! That's right it's considered cruel to catch a fish for fun. It must be killed and eaten! On a funny note I have an American  friend that lives in Germany and one day he was getting ready to release a trout out of stream. A German women told him he better not be doing what she thought he was going to do. She grilled him on how it was against the law. Anyway the friend bit the fish's head off and asked if that was acceptable. She walked away flabbergasted.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:52 AM »
i would love it if the antis read our posts.There are as many ways to kill a fish on here as there are people.in my opinion too many antis or people in general are way too focussed on what others are doing in the world.you cannot fart in your own home anymore without someone finding out and that s scarry in itself.We need our privacy back.but as far as the antis reading our posts on how to kill a fish.........bring it on antis.we will show you what we are all made of.We are all different folks with different strokes but still share a passion for ice fishing so lets all quit being so judgmental.Instead lets all have fun!!!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Honestly I don't think too much about it with panfish...into the bucket they go...the cold does the rest. I'll thump a walleye...but only to keep it from flopping around the boat.

I'm astounded that there are actually laws regarding the immediate dispatch of a fish.  As for the handgun...I could just imagine the reactions of my fellow fishers and ECOS for that matter, on seeing me put  a bullet in a fish.

I remember one time when I was checked by an ECO in my boat. I had stopped at the range to shoot a bit before fishing and was wearing my 9mm in the boat. Not wanting to make anyone nervous, I told him I had a pistol on my person and presented my permit with my fishing license. When he asked why I was carrying my 9mm I replied (jokingly) "There's some nasty perch in this lake". He replied "I thought maybe there were pirates about". We both had a chuckle.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:25 PM »
I usually just keep a bucket of water nearby and hold their head under water for a while to drown them,then I throw them on the ice to freeze. ;D

Thats what I do with the ANti's ,for fish ...Onto the ice they go,Or into a bucket of slush to keepem fresh.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:27 PM »
 I didn't mean to start a controversial thread here between fishermen and antis. I just don't like filleting a live fish. We all know that perch live forever on the ice or in a bucket. I usually thump them before I clean them.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Call me cruel but on occasion I've cleaned a live perch or panfish.    Its a lot better then sitting there in the kitchen cracking a perch over the heard with a blunt object.    It sends the crap thats on the cutting board everywhere.   Usually when I catch panfish I just toss them on the ice then collect them and bring them home when Im done, most are not alive then.   
Pike I just toss on the ice and they are always dead by the time I get done fishing.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.