Author Topic: Benefits of a longer jigging pole?  (Read 929 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Benefits of a longer jigging pole?
« on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I normally use jig poles around 26" just a preference I guess looking into the custom rods and wonder what the benefits of a longer jig rod would be.... I rod I'm looking at is a Noodle type of rod so it will be used mainly for crappie gills and perch outside hole hopping.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Benefits of a longer jigging pole?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:52 PM »
One advantage i notice with short poles is that it's easier to look down the hole at your lure while your jigging. It is also easier to feel small fish biting on shorter rods.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:55 PM »
the benefits for me with my longer rods like my 30 or 36 inch ice blues is that I can fish standing up.good when fish are on the move.and fishing shallow water you can just pluck the fish out with a lift of the rod.

Offline Chub58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:59 PM »
In my opinion the longer noodle rods are a lot more fun fighting fish with.
You can catch big fish on them as well and not break of as easy.
I have caught 4lb bass,30"pike and many other larger fish on 2lb line.
Bad thing is they are hard to use in wind and in a shanty.
Hut - Cabelas 360tc
Sonar - Vexilar double vision fl20 DTD flx28
Rods - Custom
Lure - Fiskas tungsten
Ride - 07' Polaris 700 dragon
Auger - Clam conversion Dewalt 20v Mora 6"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I use 54" poles but that's because it allows the rod action and guides to work in concert with the reel drag to help me handle large trout.  Probably not applicable for you.

Some threads that might be useful, or amusing as the case may be:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293291.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=282774.msg2934631#msg2934631

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293286.msg3066960#msg3066960

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293292.msg3066975#msg3066975
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I use 54" poles but that's because it allows the rod action and guides to work in concert with the reel drag to help me handle large trout.  Probably not applicable for you.

I plan on a max 32" if there is a big difference with the extra 6"

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I use 6ft ultra noodle a custom rod for the last fifteen years.You have to experience the long rod to appreciate it.
The action and feel of the longer rod and control cant be matched with a short stick .The hook set is awesome.
Give it a go,if you get the right noodle,its very difficult to return to the short stick.I do use a short stick if its windy or fishing in a shanty but that's rare.
The tip of the rod I use is so sensitive I dont use any type of spring bobber ,I just tight line with one or two pound test and have never had a problem with the occasional bigger fish and using a quality spinning reel or fly reel the drag comes into play.
Its the funnest way to ice fish that I have ever experienced,even the smaller pan fish feel like whales,its a blast!
I even use it in the warm season, thats how much fun it is for me.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I only use a longer rod for fishing for giant rainbows and lakers.  It is a 42" Genz.  It has a  moderate action with a lot of flex from the tip to about the middle.  The rod is so specialized, I only use it once or twice a year.  It probably won't leave the basement this year.  I normally use 24" for perch and 28"-30" for jigging and dead sticking walleye and northern.  I have a 34" heavy action St. Croix that I rig up with a large sucker occasionally for big northern.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.