The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Anyone use line through or long rods on the ice?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone use line through or long rods on the ice?
« on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I have been looking at long rods for a long time and it is such an amazing concept, and way to fish on the ice. Who else out there fishes long rods, what do you use? I saw a pretty cool long rod design in this years Ice Guide by In Fisherman! Any of you guys check it out?

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
Re: Anyone use line through or long rods on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I have a 40" I bought years back. It's great fishing out of the drivers seat of a vehicle or off of an ATV. That being said if your fishing from a bucket they aren't the best. Having a shorter rod over the hole is easier to control. As much as I love my longer rod I honestly don't use it as much as I thought I might.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2014, 02:45 PM »
If you are looking for answers on long rods on the ice you can try and find this guy and ask him any questions you might have. He is a long rod pro.....

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2014, 03:59 PM »
And he REALLY knows how to use a spinning reel!!!!  :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: ;)2 :whistle: :cookoo: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I have a couple 48" Frabill Jigglers. They are line through rods and work well in shallow
water (8ft or less) . The reels are inefficient for actually reeling in fish. They have a 1:1
Ratio and small spools compared to other inlines.  The set up is designed to actually
lift the fish up out of the water which is quick and easy in the shallows. I swapped
their factory spring bobbers out for flat wire Schooley type spring bobbers and they resist
freezing up much better. Worth a look if you fish shallow water.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2014, 05:42 PM »
If you are looking for answers on long rods on the ice you can try and find this guy and ask him any questions you might have. He is a long rod pro.....

(Image removed from quote.)

I was there for this! Lol I had a record breaking pickrel day that day

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2014, 06:07 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline FREEP82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 617 STRONG
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2014, 06:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
I forgot about this guy!! He "outfished" Keith that day  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I forgot about this guy!! He "outfished" Keith that day  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

How is that possible?
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:17 PM »
 I don't bother asking ANYONE for advise if they hold their spinning reel like that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.