The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: spudders  (Read 6126 times)

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
spudders
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:42 AM »
I understand using spuds to check ice on your way out but when there is thick thick ice time for a auger. how many people have had spudders come ten ft from to you when fishing is tough and start beating the crap out of the ice scaring the fish away I hate that so much i have it happen to me in lexington when there is 12= inches of ice all the time.

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: spudders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:48 AM »
I think it's that brains vs. brawn thing...

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:53 AM »
im still spudding holes on the Saginaw up here... but we only have 4-5 inches and a sharp spud blows through that quickly.   I no longer have the ambition to try to spud anything much thicker.. thats when I break out the auger.  On a lake, someone spudding that close to me would irk me a bit, not so much on a river with current and constantly moving fish tho.  Maybe offer to cut their hole with your auger for 5 bucks?  You will probably get some takers. Spudding through 12 inches is one hell of a workout.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:47 AM »
ill spud wherever I want when I want if I feel its unsafe or weak ice.i don't trust the ice just because someone is out there.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I'd rather have someone spudding a hole nearby than a power auger drilling 38 holes around me. At least the guy with the spud would tire out quicker. :o
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:52 AM »
As annoying as it may be, its there right to spud, chip, chainsaw, or drill a hole however they like.  I may draw the line if they are using dynamite. ;0)

Me personally I will spud my way out and use a hand auger.  If the ice is really thick and I see some poor sole pounding away, I usually will offer to drill him some holes.  I have been on the flip side with only a spud before..

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:59 AM »
   Does spuding or drilling make any more noise than the ice popping and booming?

Offline Icetester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:03 AM »
ill spud wherever I want when I want if I feel its unsafe or weak ice.i don't trust the ice just because someone is out there.
[/quote

X2.  Again, another dumb thread.

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:44 AM »
thats fine i know its everyones right to get there hole however they want i have offered to drill people holes some people are very appreciative about it others dont want you to. im just saying i dont like it when people beat the ice to death when there is plenty of ice five minutes straight of bang bang bang bang bang gets old when your trying to fish is all. I have even seen a guy with a axe beating the ice and believe it or not a claw hammer beating on the ice the weird part is neither one of them wanted me to drill them a hole. I am not a jerk fisherman i bring venison jerky and share with people i offer my shanty for warmth and i also offer my extra rods lures and bait. i didnt put this thread being a jerk.

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:53 AM »
[/quote

X2.  Again, another dumb thread.

Make that X3.  I would like to offer though that it cracks me up when some moron is using a gas auger to get through 3" of ice.

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:04 AM »
I saw a guy yesterday on ice that my spud went through on 2 wacks, strolling around a very deep basin with his power auger.
Saw another guy using a power auger on 3" of ice with blades so dull that I could have hand augered 50 holes by the time he finished 1.

Some of us can't afford all that fancy equipment so we do what we can.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I understand that completely it is pretty stupid when people do that with power augers lol I do use a spud if there is only a few inches of ice but like you said 5 or 6 whacks and you got a hole plus you know your safe walking out but once it hits 6 or so inches im using my hand auger i dont even have a power auger.

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I,m kinda mixed on the scaring fish part.
Eyes maybe.But if they scatter it is a form of shuffling the deck and one can drift my way.
When pike come through panfish quit for a bit.  Too activity causing water in holes to bounce can trigger a bite.
When as a youth all I had was a spud fresh holes seemed to give up more fish.
Does not bother me if someone sets up close, if they respect the resource.
Nothing against your observation,it is interesting.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Make that X3.  I would like to offer though that it cracks me up when some moron is using a gas auger to get through 3" of ice.

It makes me a bit nervous, since people that usually do this also have 5 300lb buddies standing around the same hole!   I'm used to fishing within feet of other people up here on the Saginaw river..   But I give those types a large leeway.  The other night I was out, I had an older guy set his shanty up 2 feet outside mine. I didnt mind at all. It provided me someone to bullsh*t with while I was out. Got some good info fromt he old timer!  Made it easy to pass beers from 1 shanty window to the other too.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:11 AM »
When I first started ice fishing they did not have augers and I remember wondering if it was worth spuding a hole in 16 plus inches of ice as the top of the hole was always much larger and it was a lot of work. The spoon augers came out and I bought one. My dad just laughed until he used it once. The next day when I got home from school he just grinned. We went fishing and he had an auger. I still have mine and use it first ice along with my spud. Couple years ago I was out on the ice and there was 20 inches or so and a guy came out with a spud and started making a hole. I asked him if he wanted to use my lazer and he said there wasn't that much ice and he would be fine. After 10 or mins. he came over and asked if the offer was still good. He and I talked and I found out he was from Grand Rapids and had never fished on that much ice. Turned out to be a nice guy and we had a good time that day. The only time I think a spud spooks the fish is on very shallow water like the channels at gun lake. But the fish always come back

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I understand using spuds to check ice on your way out but when there is thick thick ice time for a auger. how many people have had spudders come ten ft from to you when fishing is tough and start beating the crap out of the ice scaring the fish away I hate that so much i have it happen to me in lexington when there is 12= inches of ice all the time.

I would be aggravated if someone opened up holes 10 ft of me regardless of the equipment they used.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline fishondwan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Spudding may scare some fish away...... for a minute.

But it also attracts fish to the area.

I've also caught fish in 1 foot of water while friend drilled holes with a really loud Jiffy power auger 15 feet away. I was in a shanty and could see the fish clear as day and they didn't seem to mind a bit. 

Pike ? Seems like the more noise the better  :tipup:
JEZYNOWKA !

Offline Jiveturkey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I would be aggravated if someone opened up holes 10 ft of me regardless of the equipment they used.

How much did you pay to own the lake? Fishing near ignorant people isn't fun anyway.

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Have had it happen several times. Sometimes if they come close enough to talk I offer to let them use my auger to pop a few holes.
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Ya it must scare the fish away. I very rarely use an auger. Always use my spud or heel to open up old holes. Have never had a problem getting my fish.

Offline mtbigred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:39 AM »
I guess my question is.... How did you get your hole? Did it not scare the fish away too?  Are you always the very first person on the ice every time you go out? c'mon!  I bet if the fish knew the stupid things we bother about they would laugh at us!! 

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:19 AM »
How much did you pay to own the lake? Fishing near ignorant people isn't fun anyway.

LMAO, are you some kind of dumbass?  ;D  I would spray paint "ignorant" on the side of my shanty if it would keep idiots from setting up right on top of me.

10 feet is far too close to be spudding or augering holes to another fisherman. Most places that I fish, if you rolled up 10 feet away from a stranger and started chopping holes, you would get a well deserved beating.

Not sure why some folks feel the need to be sitting on others' laps while fishing. Get out and explore a bit, find some fish on your own.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:29 AM »
LMAO, are you some kind of dumbass?  ;D  I would spray paint "ignorant" on the side of my shanty if it would keep idiots from setting up right on top of me.

10 feet is far too close to be spudding or augering holes to another fisherman. Most places that I fish, if you rolled up 10 feet away from a stranger and started chopping holes, you would get a well deserved beating.

Not sure why some folks feel the need to be sitting on others' laps while fishing. Get out and explore a bit, find some fish on your own.

I'm gonna try that.

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Ha! Ole Fishybill!

Cripes, you'd probably come right into their shanty and take a leak in the their hole

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Ha! Ole Fishybill!

Cripes, you'd probably come right into their shanty and take a leak in the their hole

And take a few of their beers as I walked out

How you been Geoff?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:21 AM »
And take a few of their beers as I walked out

How you been Geoff?
Just pee on the side and it will ;D run in

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Consider my brother who does not work and has no money.  He lives with my mother on the lake where I was raised.  I gave him a spud, two rods, a skimmer, and some plastics.  Now he can fish.

And for those who are not familiar with a finely tuned spud....you can make nice clean holes in 8 inches of ice in short order.  I know because I never had an auger until I was well in 20's.  The spud I carry today when ice is sketchy will easily go through 3 inches of clear hard ice in one shot.  I use my lazer once the ice is 5 inches or more, but would have no issue using my spud if that is all I had. 

A dull neglected spud is no different than a dull beat up set of blades on any of your augers.

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:57 AM »
there is some pretty cocky answers on here. i think its common courtesy to give  a fisherman his room I dont think it is very good etiquette to sit right next to someone fishing. no matter how you drill or get your hole.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:04 AM »

Hope you know you are gambling with that kind of attitude and might find yourself looking down the barrel of a 9.  I don't have one but I know plenty of fishermen who also have CCW's...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:36 AM »
all this just from spudding a dam hole and fishing to close to someone...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.