The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26228 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #90 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:39 AM »
When the bite is as slow as it was yesterday, people tend to chat more, met some great guys out there yesterday. Heard great storys, seen some awesome pictures. Did,nt catch many fish but still had a great day.
X2
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Are the fish there and just not biting?  Heading that way Saturday, seeing how I have to work and wont be able to get to Higgins for the gattering.  Only familiar with the south end of the lake second bay.
[IMG]]

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #92 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Are the fish there and just not biting?  Heading that way Saturday, seeing how I have to work and wont be able to get to Higgins for the gattering.  Only familiar with the south end of the lake second bay.
I marked a few fish very tight to the bottom. I was their all day. I left at dark, I figured it was easier and more productive to go home and catch a pizza. I gotta think they will be in there soon. Probly staging at the firelane now, heading North.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #93 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Somebody messed with my post from last night.I did not put those smiley faces in there! But since someone did,I have a really stupid question,& please do laugh. How do you put those in a post? I cant figure it out & have looked all over for info on how to do it. OK,go ahead & laugh,I can take it !
You put those in on your own. When you type three question marks in a row ? ? ?, without spacing in between, ??? The question smiley pops up. It's actually hypertext that activates itself. Same as if you type : ) (Without the space in between) The regular smiley pops up. :)   @ ) = @) and so on.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Ye
You put those in on your own. When you type three question marks in a row ? ? ?, without spacing in between, ??? The question smiley pops up. It's actually hypertext that activates itself. Same as if you type : ) (Without the space in between) The regular smiley pops up. :)   @ ) = @) and so on.
s ,I did!Mud-n-Fun explained it to me last night on the ice.Sweetdad, thats what I seen the past 3 nights. Marked very few fish higher up ,near the ice
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Heading up there tomorrow.  Trying to decide between second bay or north end.  Anyone think one is more productive than the other?

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 AM »
We gave it a shot this past saturday fished for a couple hours at dark with little success but the guy behind me with a long jigging rod and an underwater light big enough to blind ya..he was doing the best that i could see with a smelt every minute or two..id say he left with around 70

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:43 AM »
We gave it a shot this past saturday fished for a couple hours at dark with little success but the guy behind me with a long jigging rod and an underwater light big enough to blind ya..he was doing the best that i could see with a smelt every minute or two..id say he left with around 70
  North or South end ?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Just got off the phone w/ a friend.He did terrible on 2nd. bay last night ,but said quite a few guys were doing pretty good.I'm guessing that "steelheader" was fishin on 2nd. bay. That guy has been doing quite well,& he was out there last night too.The light he is using is a 2400 lumens LED, it costs $150.00,too much for my pocket! I just got one at D&R sports last week-end for 50 bucks.Its an Aqua-star halogen w/ a green sleeve.600,000 candlepower.Yes,I have to drag my deepcycle  battery out there,but it seems to light up a pretty good size area.Please keep in mind ,the info I got about 2nd. bay is from a good friend,I was not there.   Phil

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:50 AM »
How much snow came down last night?
[IMG]]

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #100 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:11 AM »
3-4 inches of super heavy wet snow
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Any reports on Gull lately? I was thinking about making my way to the north end tonight.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 PM »
I just talked to a friend& he said the north end is not safe. I am trying to find out if this is true. With all the wet snow we got yesterday,I wouldnt doubt it.Trying to get one of my sons to check it out,but that wont be until later this afternoon.I am headed for 2nd. bay tonight,I keep getting reports of some fish being caught,but dont know if I can trust the info.Going to find out first hand.I will post later tonight,after I get home.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #103 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Highly doubt unsafe.... 5 inches on conference this morning along with 4 inches of watery slush... Kept 22 gills.. biggest a hair over 9 ..
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Nice fish ! Yes I do have my doubts about the info on the north end.But I will find out for sure.Just passing on,what I was told,thats why I let ya know,it was 2nd. hand info.After the bad luck I had last week-end,I was planning on tryin 2nd. bay tonight anyways.BTW,if its an early night,you might see me out there on the conf. in the a.m. .

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:36 PM »
When will you be out smeltbuster? You still planning on heading to the south ?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:04 PM »
5:30 p.m.,straight out from the salon access,west side of smeltville.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Alright I think I'm still going to try the north end tonight. I'll report back later

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #108 on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Stay safe friends and good luck!

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Ice was fine on the North end as long as you dont mind sitting in about 4" of water/slush. Found out today that my boots are not waterproof anymore and my feet were soaked within an hour of fishing so I packed up at 6. Caught a couple small gills and one 26" northern in about 3 hours. Only a hand full of guys going for smelt when I decided to leave. Sorry I dont have a report on how the smelt fishing is for tonight. Good luck guys and gals!

Icebreaker

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #110 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Hahaha... Yea found out the same thing.. hahah
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:28 PM »
Ice was fine on the North end as long as you dont mind sitting in about 4" of water/slush. Found out today that my boots are not waterproof anymore and my feet were soaked within an hour of fishing so I packed up at 6. Caught a couple small gills and one 26" northern in about 3 hours. Only a hand full of guys going for smelt when I decided to leave. Sorry I dont have a report on how the smelt fishing is for tonight. Good luck guys and gals!

Icebreaker
Wet feet make for a short trip.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Yes Icebreaker,same thing happened to my buddy last night!I'm giving him a pair of knee highs tonight,that I dont use anymore.As for 2nd. bay;lots of ice,slush & water.There was less than 20 people out there last night.The bite was slow for most.My buddy got 2 & the few guys I talked too,had less than a dozen.I managed to scratch out 36,& marked tons of fish,the later it got.After everyone left & I was the only one there,the Vex. lit up solid red,from 5' down,all the way to40' down.Couldnt see my jig,but I think most of the active fish were around 20'.The high fish wouldnt bite.As far as I know,one other guy did better than me,he was sitting on the ice,using that 2400 lumens green light.It was pretty disapointing seeing the Vex. solid red & the fish were not biting.I will be back out tonight,on 2nd. bay.I will be in my Trophy jr. pop-up,& probably north & west of the main group.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Could anyone tell me how much ice there is by the North boat launch? And how the smelt fishing is there? Hate to drive there and end up on the south bay. PM me if you would like. Its been a few weeks since i have been down there. Thanks.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:27 PM »
5 inches of ice in most places. Smelt fishing has been slow from what ive heard. Yesterday there was about 4 inches of water and slush, but im guessing its going to be pretty froze up after these cooler temps at night.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Fished 2nd. bay last night,the bite was slow.I ended up with 9.It sounded like it was slow for just about everyone,right before I left,I heard one guy say that him & his partner had about 25.I fished until 10:30 p.m.. The slush on top was freezing up nicely.I will be fishing the north end tonight,to try it.Sorry I havent been able to get any fish info for there this weekend.I did mark quite a few fish early,but they disappeared.There is 2 ways to get to the north end launch from G.R.; take M-37 south at 28th. st,to Hastings At the M-43 & M-37 junction,turn right & you will head south through Cloverdale & Delton,3-4 miles later,Gull will be on the left.If you come down 131,take the Plainwell exit for M-89 east.follow that through Plainwell;When you get to the stop light at the M-89& M-43 junction(Blackhawk restaurant will be on the se corner)turn left onto M-43.Drive about 4-5 min.,the launch will be on the right.Look for the green lighted sign that says"OPEN".Entry fee is $5.00.Sorry for such a long post,but Ive met a lot of guys that have had trouble finding out,how to get there.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #116 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Thanks again for keeping us updated on ice conditions and how well the fish are biting.  I sure wish the bite would pick up.  Oh well, just one of those years.  Not much better around here.......
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Thanks for info. I wish i knew how fishing was on north end. I guess make trip and find out. Hate to go to north and pay $5 and end up going to south bay :(. How much ice is on the South bay?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:42 AM »
2nd. bay has 5-7"; my 2 sons seen some guys on a quad this morning,near Hickory point(north part of the lake,east side). They also seen some guys out by the "hogsback" this morning.There were snowmobiles running on the lake,last weekend.I think the ice is fine,& the info I was given a couple of days ago was questionable,sorry bout that.Any of you come out tonight,look me up.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Mar 02, 2013, 12:24 PM »
 Thanks Smeltbuster. We will be out there tonight. I will be in a Clam Big Foot. Gonna start on north end. Hope to see you out there  :). Maybe we can change things and get them biting  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.