The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26217 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:13 PM »
   North end,Heres is what I have: as of 6:00 p.m.,no one fishing,parking lot empty,9:45 p.m.,parking lot empty,no one fishing.I am going to try & get one of my sons to go help me check the ice ,further out in the morning.I will let you know what I find.Yes , I will be wearing a PFD  w/ a rope on me attached to my SUV!(OVERKILL!) I am betting that there is at least one more person that wants to get out there after those tasty little things! I do believe that the ice is good enough,but I am going to be very cautious.I do not want to go for a polar bear swim,& I do not want to tell ya the ice is safe ,unless I am 100% sure. Yes,I will even do the "JUMP" test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Smeltbuster, your a rare breed and I thank you for your extra generous and thorough ice reports. I myself have only been on gull a few times, we targeted pike off the bible conference.  Again, thanks for sharing your findings as most would not!!

Eric

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2013, 02:42 AM »
let me know what time your going to be there I"m only 5 miles from there. work 3rd. so maybe meet and be there to help..
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 AM »
I will be checking the north end ice conditions w/ my son,around 12:15-12:30 this afternoon.I should be able to post what I find by 1:30 p.m., by the  way Eric,thanks for the kind words. I dont mind one bit trying to help peolple out. I didnt realize until 2 yrs. ago how far some people drive to fish for smelt.I've met folks from,G.R.,Lansing,Detroit,Albion,Northern Indiana. With gas at almost 4 bucks a gal.,that gets expensive real quick.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Smeltbuster, your a rare breed and I thank you for your extra generous and thorough ice reports. I myself have only been on gull a few times, we targeted pike off the bible conference.  Again, thanks for sharing your findings as most would not!!

Eric
X2
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Thanks again Smeltbuster for report. That comes from a fellow printer up in GR. My buddies and I appreciate the reports throughout the season. I hope to meet you on the ice sometime :) :). I think more fishermen and women need to be like you and be helpful with gas prices around $4 to find a good and safe place to fish. I'm sure your wife was glad you stayed home on Valentines Day.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Thanks Smeltbuster! I hope you post good news because I'm itching to make it out tonight for some tasty smelt!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Just got back from checking the north end.I had quite a few holes w/ a good 3" of ice,the problem is there is lots of inconsistent ice.I went out 55 yds. from shore The Vex.said it was about 9' deep. 3-4 more steps & my spud went thru w/ 2 whacks,I also heard some cracking under my feet.I went out in front of the bath house & stayed well away from the creek.Someone was out there fishing this a.m.,but they only made it to probably 15' of water & they were farther west.Very light skim of snow on the ice.I am sure there will be some guys out there tonight,just not me,I will be on 2nd. bay,where its a bit safer.We will check it again tommorrow to see if & where guys went.I did see a guy fishing out in front of Ross twp. park,he was about 100yds from shore.Baseline rd.is busted up at the shore,so I couldnt really check there.If it stays cold & we dont get a bunch of snow it should be fine in a day or 2 for everyone.Hey Tip-ups,thanks for showin up,it eased my mind knowing that my son had help in case I went swimming !

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the Report smeltbuster! Sounds to iffy for me to venture out on the North tonight. Might see ya on the south bay. Good luck tonight if I dont see ya!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Well I just got home from 2nd.bay,smelt fishing for most people was not good tonight.One guy with a light about 50yds from me was doing pretty good,but everyone else was having a tough time.I did not get skunked,but I came close.I had less than 10 bites tonight.On the bright side,I managed to hook & land a 26" northern on my smelt rig.That was fun!First one I have caught while smelt fishing,20' down,hit the Hali.Whats funny ,is my son had a tip-up & a pole w/pike minnows on,less than 20' away.Now,about the north end;when I got done fishing I drove up there.There were 6 vehicles in the parking lot,all the guys were in shanties& they were out in front of the creek,in probably 40' of water.I figured some guys would try it tonight.I am going to check it out tommorrow again.I am still nervous about going out there though.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:06 AM »
was there smeltbuster stop by on my way home from work thought you were on of the 2 out there fishing guess should asked for names.. said the bite was slow and ice but not decent..  can only check the board on breaks here..
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2013, 07:56 AM »
We are going to give the north end a try tonight.I figure there is going to be even more guys out there tonight,now that the word is out.If any of you are out there,look me up.I am fishing in a small pop-up that says Trophy jr. on it.I just use it for a wind break.I also have about a 3' long metal reflector that I put out in front of me to relect light.Kinda goofy lookin,but it helps.   Phil

Offline justwanttofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out by the ministries? I would like to drive down there and put out some tip ups, but i dont wan to to get there and the ice suck on that part of the lake.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for report. Was going to head down there with Daughter tonight but she's sick so no smelting for me. My buddy was down there last night and said the same thing SLOW  :( :(. 14 is all he could get. But he forgot one important thing when its slow ;D. I think north end Is the place to be this late in season. Good luck tonight.. Be SAFE on that north end.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out by the ministries? I would like to drive down there and put out some tip ups, but i dont wan to to get there and the ice suck on that part of the lake.
I fished next to a young guy last night that said he fished the bible conf. on Thurs. & got a few fish.I did see him out there when I drove by.There was a couple guys out there last night,but I dont know what they were doing.The kid told me the ice was fine.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Just got a call from my son;he said that there is quite a few guys on the north end,& a few down toward the dredge.Thats down on the west side of the north end. Headin out soon.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Blizzardy nightmare out there today... Lol... Prolly half dozen ice boats sailin round the lake today... Thems awesome..
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Guth.ll Lake
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:48 PM »
Finally! Yes I did fish the north end tonight.Ice is anywhere from 3-5".Not too many guys out for the smelt bite,maybe 30-40.Sounded like it was pretty slow,I ended up w/51.When I left,there was only  1 shanty w/ 2 guys,they had 1.Made some new friends & had a good time.Fished 42 FOW,straight out from the creek.Most fish came 7-15' down.No big ,steady schools,& the Vex never did look like a Christmas tree.14th. smelt trip this year,not the biggest for #s,but it sure did feel good to be back on the north end.

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Any bites during daylight hours for smelt that is? I remember three years ago catchin 500ish early mornin to mid afternoon. That was nice

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Any bites during daylight hours for smelt that is? I remember three years ago catchin 500ish early mornin to mid afternoon. That was nice
That was a good day. Right around this time, Nat's Birthday. I could use a good stock pile.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Not for me.I tried for them too.Didnt hear anyone mention catching them until dark.

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:24 AM »
has the fire lane locked up yet?

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Just got back.....
North end has about 10 guys out on it.
The fire lane was 5" with snowmobl tracks on it.
Bbl con. had about 20 guys on it.
South bays had the usual spattering of people on it.
The yacht club had a lot of tracks going out, but I didnt see people.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:24 PM »
I have fished a couple of times in the morning for them. they would bite up to day light then just stop :( :(. Unlike Higgins later in the season were they would bite all day long ;D.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I have fished a couple of times in the morning for them. they would bite up to day light then just stop :( :(. Unlike Higgins later in the season were they would bite all day long ;D.
2 years ago we killed them smelts all day. Just about this time.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Sweetdad was that on the North launch or south bay? I was on the North launch both times. Thanks. I always wonder why Higgins and not Gull on the day bite.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Sweetdad was that on the North launch or south bay? I was on the North launch both times. Thanks. I always wonder why Higgins and not Gull on the day bite.
North launch, February 2011, May be hard to believe but four of us fished all day pulled roughly 5-600 each NO BS.

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:43 PM »
i was there and  no bs we werent the only four who got em like that. buddy of mine was gettin em like that for a week straight before we finally decided to check for ourselves no bs

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM »
i was there and  no bs we werent the only four who got em like that. buddy of mine was gettin em like that for a week straight before we finally decided to check for ourselves no bs
That was a great day

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I tried the north side too. must of been to early or late i know it was in February 2011 we were there. Hope this year too, if ice holds up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.