The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26218 times)

Offline Budwinn42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gull Lake
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Drove by gull on Saturday, saw Atleast 50 guys out, didn't have time to stop, but with that many guys and that many shanties,  ice must be pretty decent,. South bay off m89, looked like most guys were setting up to smelt fish.
Walk softly and carry a big spud

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Anyone reports from anyone that has been out to the smelt grounds?

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Looks like alot of snow on that lake  :(. Ice can't be that thick with all that snow? I hope I'm wrong. I  live an hour away so with gas at this price I can't check  :(...

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:22 PM »
I'll be going out to fish tomorrow morning..   if no awnser by then ill give a report...
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I'd like to get one more weekend of smelt in before I move to Hastings.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:49 PM »
North end was wide open Sat., I was boat fishing,but had to dodge lots of skim ice. I will start checking the north end, Thurs. ,early afternoon,& keep ya posted.I plan on fishing 2nd. bay ,Thurs.night.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Hawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Any reports on the 2nd bay? Prob going out tonight so if no replies I'll give an update tomorrow. Also, does anyone know who is selling the smelt spear tips out there on gull?

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:44 AM »
I though spearing on Gull was illegal since its a trout lake?
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 AM »
I though spearing on Gull was illegal since its a trout lake?
Just bumped the Gull smelt spearing thread..

Offline rgp198328

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Anyone been out the past couple days? How's the bite? How much ice in second bay?
Hook em n cook em

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Went yesterday... Bite sucked.  Fishin fo gills
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Whats it looking like for smelt Steve?

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Set some tipups out that way.... Ice is fine.... Might smelt this weekend...
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.I'm going to check the north end Thurs. afternoon & probably hit 2nd. bay Thurs. night.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Ill be headed to gull around 1:30 today. Im gunna fish for pike the rest of the afternoon and then try for smelt later tonight. Will report back later. Ill be in a black and gray frabil flip over if anyone is going to be out and about. Good luck guys and gals.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Gonna give it a shot tonight,2nd. bay if possible. I will have an ice report for the north end later tonight,as well as how it went tonght.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Well,I just got home & heres what happened,the bite was very slow tonight.I had 11 heard a couple of guys that had 4 between them,another 2 guys had none ,one guy had 1 another guy had about 15,& the top dog  tonight had about 35,he was fishing about 30' from me.Like I said ,SLOW ! Fished the south end of 2nd.bay ,about 51' deep. Watched a couple walk out from the salon,headed my way,until the guys spud went through w/1 whack.Yes they turned around.The ice is anywhere from 2 1/2"-5",depending on where you are standing.2 other guys & myself were the last ones to leave 2nd. bay,it was snowing very heavy & there was probably about 3" of new snow,as of 10:00 p.m.. As for the north end,about 2-2 1/2" of good ice,but the snow isnt going to help it.I will be checking it again on Friday,but dont expect it to be safe enough yet.Please keep in mind,I was fishing in a boat there on Sat. afternoon & the lake was wide open.BTW,Icebreaker,glad I got to meet ya tonight,hope to see ya out there again.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Thanks for update Smeltbuster :) To bad all the ice isn't 5". This snow sucks >:( >:( was hoping you guy's weren't gonna get all this snow. They said North ??? can't ever believe them  ::). Guess i will head north for perch, smelt, and lake trout :). Hope we get more ice on that north end.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Appreciate the report.  Was hoping the smelt were cooperating better though.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I managed only a handful of smelt last night ad was fishing in 41' of water. only marked a couple schools of fish all night. Bite was very very slow. The ice was about 4" where I was sitting but it wasnt great ice.

Great to meet you too smeltbuster! Im sure ill see ya around in the future.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Going to head back out,around 3:30p.m.,w/ my oldest son & some friends,to run tip-ups,then stay for the smelt bite.Not looking forward to the walk through all the snow & slush.He is going to check the north end on his way out.I will post what he tells me, later tonight,but dont expect much,w/all this snow we got.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:07 PM »
The bite was slow again tonight,did about the same as last night,maybe a few more.With the falling temps,the slush was locking up on the walk in.4 guys walked out from the salon tonight,but they stopped short of getting to that 60 ft. water.I'm still a bit nervous about going much further north on 2nd. bay,but I may try it tommorrow night.The north end was still unsafe this afternoon,the snow did not help it out.We will check it again tommorrow(hopefully mid-morning).

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Smelt bite was slow again for me & several others,Sat. night.I got 20. Made it a bit further out into 2nd.bay,& guys are walking on from the salon.Got a report from my son,Sat. night, that some guys were going out on the north end.He is checking to see how far they got out & if they went swimming.Heard that there were 8 guys out there,Sat. night. Got to meet Mud-nFun, on the ice;one heck of a nice guy,& 2 great kids! I really like his smelt fishing set-up.I'ts been quite an adjustment for me ,going from fishing in a nice,warm portable,to having to deal with the elements.Keep ya posted on the north end.

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Is anyone fishing the north end yet?

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:50 AM »
I recon so.... Might go out in a little bit and try to get on the south side.... I'll let u guys know.... Last time I was out it was an inch of good clear ice with like 3 inches of slushy crap.... So hopefully its all froze up ...
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:40 PM »
I'm going to check it out Thurs. afternoon on my way home from work.I am planning on fishing it Thurs. night.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Has anyone been on 2nd bay and the north boat launch? How much ice is there? Would like to take daughter out this weekend for some smelting. It was nice last weekend fishing on 10"-12" of ice with No water coming up ;D ;D ;D. and smoking the smelt :).

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I just got done checking the north end.I think it might be fishable.I walked out about 20 yds. & the ice held me.About 3-4" of ice.Again,I was by myself,so I did not go out further.I also could not tell if anyone had been out fishing,no tracks,signs of holes,trash.My son who lives about 2 min. from the north end is going to go down tonight & see if anyone is fishing.I will post what he tells me ,after I hear from him.There was 1 guy on the bible conf. ,fishing. No one on the bays,but 2 large perm shanties at the north end of south bay.Lots of water on the ice.As soon as I find out about the north end,you will be the first ones to know ! Cant fish tonight,I forgot it is Valentines day,my wife of almost 29 yrs. said it was ok to go, but I think I'll pass,just tonight though !

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Well,I just got home & heres what happened,the bite was very slow tonight.I had 11 heard a couple of guys that had 4 between them,another 2 guys had none ,one guy had 1 another guy had about 15,& the top dog  tonight had about 35,he was fishing about 30' from me.Like I said ,SLOW ! Fished the south end of 2nd.bay ,about 51' deep. Watched a couple walk out from the salon,headed my way,until the guys spud went through w/1 whack.Yes they turned around.The ice is anywhere from 2 1/2"-5",depending on where you are standing.2 other guys & myself were the last ones to leave 2nd. bay,it was snowing very heavy & there was probably about 3" of new snow,as of 10:00 p.m.. As for the north end,about 2-2 1/2" of good ice,but the snow isnt going to help it.I will be checking it again on Friday,but dont expect it to be safe enough yet.Please keep in mind,I was fishing in a boat there on Sat. afternoon & the lake was wide open.BTW,Icebreaker,glad I got to meet ya tonight,hope to see ya out there again.
Hey that was me...the guy that took one whack and went through. Went down to the store and then walked out. Same deal for us....we caught about 20 smelt between the 2 of us.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Hey that was me...the guy that took one whack and went through. Went down to the store and then walked out. Same deal for us....we caught about 20 smelt between the 2 of us.
I sure am glad you had that spud,that was kind of scary for those of us that were watching,probably more so for you.Glad your safe. Still waiting to hear from my son.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.