Author Topic: Getting around after the snow.  (Read 3737 times)

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Getting around after the snow.
« on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I was not ablle to get out since the recent snow fall.  What are the reports on our southern lakes, q chain, lml, buffalo, blackstrap etc.  How did everyone find ice access? And travel on the ice?
Blake from Elbow

Offline MRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hurry Up ICE!!!
Re: Getting around after the snow.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:16 PM »
lml was good. No problems was out both days. Bite was slow unlike last weekend, hard to move around yesterday in the wind. Drifts are 6-10 inches in some spots but overall not bad.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Getting around the qu'appelle lakes is easy the snow really didn't effect much just some drifts around the shacks but that's about it. Bite was really slow today

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:47 PM »
South end Blackstrap at evans is fine there was no snow to begin with so the little bit that blew in barely did anything

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Northend of blackstrap is also fine.  A bit blown in at the boat launch where you drive on, but I was the first threw it yet yesterday morning and after that it was fine enough guys went through it, it was like it never snowed at all

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:37 AM »
How about at buffalo? Anyone out there? how is it to get around  and hows the bite still good?
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:40 AM »
No problems if you drive a GM!
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:42 AM »
hahahahaha good one so i might as well stay home with my ford? hahaha good the hear layne  ;)
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:46 AM »
No problems if you drive a GM!
First time I ever heard "no problems" and "GM" in same sentance  ;D

MikeMiller

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:13 PM »
i was breaking up my foot and a half big drift the big old dodge cummins i almost had to put a chevy yesterday who had trouble moving his shack lol

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Thanks for the inputs and replys. The Hemi will be ok
Blake from Elbow

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Drove my Chevy onto Mission on Sunday.  There was lots of snow, but some very good wheel ruts to follow.  No problems....  Nothing significant for accumulations on the ice.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Was out today on my dodge dakota on BP and had no problems.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:05 PM »
How was the bite on the pound today??
Blake from Elbow

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:09 PM »
i was breaking up my foot and a half big drift the big old dodge cummins i almost had to put a chevy yesterday who had trouble moving his shack lol

Key word being ..."almost"

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I got out at about 9:30 and fished till about 1 and got one perch (small one at that too).  There was also something that was stealing my bait for about 30 min before it moved on. but I could not hook it for the life of me.

Offline walleye protector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Hey Mike Miller... What the heck are you trying to say. Your post does not make any sense....... Maybe you should preview your post before posting.JUST A SUGESTION...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Hey Mike Miller... What the heck are you trying to say. Your post does not make any sense....... Maybe you should preview your post before posting.JUST A SUGESTION...
Well I'd be willing to bet he meant he was breaking up the drift around his perm shack.... If that makes any sense...   :P i do the same thing if I'm in a good spot and don't want to move shack, that way the drift has to rebuild its self before it gets any bigger and most years it can make for a lot less headaches moving the shack after a few snowfalls and not moving the shack.

MikeMiller

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Well I'd be willing to bet he meant he was breaking up the drift around his perm shack.... If that makes any sense...   :P i do the same thing if I'm in a good spot and don't want to move shack, that way the drift has to rebuild its self before it gets any bigger and most years it can make for a lot less headaches moving the shack after a few snowfalls and not moving the shack.

thanks burk lol he got what i ment you must be a little slow if you never got it just saying

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:23 AM »
I thought you were a strong CHEVY man last winter? What happened? Tired of fixing? :woot: LOL

MikeMiller

« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 AM »
bite me thats exactly it i put 2 trannys in the chevy motor and a transpher case there rear end was starting to go so i finally got rid of it and bought a real truck lol

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Why don't you all try and help save your tranny's and buy a set of chains. I don't care what kind of truck you have, put a set of chains on and you have any truck beat.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Or you could just buy a Dodge...

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Not that I don't like dodge or anything. But working in the oil field for 8 years. 7 of them running GM 6.0L and 1 year running dodge diesels. I will take the GM. Dodge has left us stranded 2 times in a year. Once tranny piled up on one truck and the other regen backed right up and couldn't move. Both different trucks and under 60,000kms. Put chains on your trucks and save a tranny.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:58 AM »

Dodges are my favorite to pull around,  ;D
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:22 AM »
All I will say is if I had a dollar for every time I've fixed a Dodge truck I would be a very very wealthy man. We tried to run them in the patch as well and to 6 to 8 months is all we could get out of a brand new Dodge before they started to self destruct. I would say maybe we just had lemons but when 6 brand new trucks all self destruct in a matter of months, its more than a coincidence. Absolute junk.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:53 AM »
All I will say is if I had a dollar for every time I've fixed a Dodge truck I would be a very very wealthy man. We tried to run them in the patch as well and to 6 to 8 months is all we could get out of a brand new Dodge before they started to self destruct. I would say maybe we just had lemons but when 6 brand new trucks all self destruct in a matter of months, its more than a coincidence. Absolute junk.
What was the best truck in the patch? :unsure:

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:22 PM »
The crews I worked on in the patch all used fords. We  couldn't keep front ends in duramax's with their worthless IFS and had the 6.7 cummins had so many issues they wouldn't even buy one. The 5.9 cummins is still one of the best motors put out their but its hard to beat 7.3 & 6.0L powerstrokes. Yes you need to do a few things to the 6.0L but they are bullet proof with ARP head studs and EGR delet kit you will have no issues that they became famous for having. I worked at ford and am now a heavy duty diesel mechanic and nowadays with all this environmental laws every new diesel has its flaws and can all be fixed with delete kits (if your smart can be done to look stock and not void warranty.  ;D ). You couldn't give me any duramax they are garbage and have seen so many issues with them if you drive them hard and need to go offroad all the time. Allison trannys are over rated as well... Just speaking from personal expirence. I trust my life to my fords and have never had an issue that wasn't self induced. Even my f150's I overload all the time  and they just keep chugging along.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:29 PM »
The crews I worked on in the patch all used fords. We  couldn't keep front ends in duramax's with their worthless IFS and had the 6.7 cummins had so many issues they wouldn't even buy one. The 5.9 cummins is still one of the best motors put out their but its hard to beat 7.3 & 6.0L powerstrokes. Yes you need to do a few things to the 6.0L but they are bullet proof with ARP head studs and EGR delet kit you will have no issues that they became famous for having. I worked at ford and am now a heavy duty diesel mechanic and nowadays with all this environmental laws every new diesel has its flaws and can all be fixed with delete kits (if your smart can be done to look stock and not void warranty.  ;D ). You couldn't give me any duramax they are garbage and have seen so many issues with them if you drive them hard and need to go offroad all the time. Allison trannys are over rated as well... Just speaking from personal expirence. I trust my life to my fords and have never had an issue that wasn't self induced. Even my f150's I overload all the time  and they just keep chugging along.
Just what I wanted to hear! :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:13 PM »

Is there a way I can delete the exaust filter on a 2011 6.7? 
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.