Author Topic: Getting around after the snow.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Getting around after the snow.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:36 PM »
The crews I worked on in the patch all used fords. We  couldn't keep front ends in duramax's with their worthless IFS and had the 6.7 cummins had so many issues they wouldn't even buy one. The 5.9 cummins is still one of the best motors put out their but its hard to beat 7.3 & 6.0L powerstrokes. Yes you need to do a few things to the 6.0L but they are bullet proof with ARP head studs and EGR delet kit you will have no issues that they became famous for having. I worked at ford and am now a heavy duty diesel mechanic and nowadays with all this environmental laws every new diesel has its flaws and can all be fixed with delete kits (if your smart can be done to look stock and not void warranty.  ;D ). You couldn't give me any duramax they are garbage and have seen so many issues with them if you drive them hard and need to go offroad all the time. Allison trannys are over rated as well... Just speaking from personal expirence. I trust my life to my fords and have never had an issue that wasn't self induced. Even my f150's I overload all the time  and they just keep chugging along.

Going to have to agree to disagree here, couldnt pay me to give up my duramax for a ford diesel. IFS holds up great if you maintain it properly, even with 35" tires. Would I like a dana 60 under the front of my truck? Yes. Do I need one? No. My duramax has 150K on it and has only had the front end done once, after it was wrecked. Its had 35s and been to hell and back since day one. I love the allison, Ive driven all the big threes heavy duty trucks and you just cant beat the smoothness/reliability of the ally..

5.9 cummins is a good motor, just sucks what they built around it and dodges have more front end problems than GMs do.

Dont even get me started on our old ford f350 crew trucks... My rig crew used to make bets as to how many months our new crew trucks would last.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #31 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Is there a way I can delete the exaust filter on a 2011 6.7?
There are many companies that now make dpf delete kits ranging from 200-450 bucks, do a google search and it will come up. And if your going to to that also look at deleting the DEF fluid its worth it.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 29, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you are using the truck for. Driving on the highways vs working with the truck.

We tried Dodge, Ford's and Chev's and they all had some problems.

Dodge's were an absolute nightmare, don't even know where to start with them and the Ford's weren't a whole lot better. Many problems with the Ford's but again, we were working these trucks VERY hard, not just driving on the highway with them. They just do not hold up when worked hard.

Yes you need to do a few things to the 6.0L but they are bullet proof with ARP head studs and EGR delet kit

There's only one VERY big problem with this...they don't come with ARP head studs from factory. This is a very expensive fix and at the end of the day by spending a few thousand on ANY vehicle you could make it a better and more "bullet proof" truck. Fact is, if it's built well in the first place you don't have to spend a few thousand on it to make it run.

If Ford knew how to build a decent diesel engine, they wouldn't have to keep building new model's every few years. From the 7.3 to the 6.0 to the 6.4 now the 6.7 in a matter of 18 years. The 6.0 L was built for 5 years, the 6.4 for a whopping 2 years b/c once again they were Ford certified garbage.

Like I said no truck is bulletproof, they all need fixing. In my opinion after twisting wrenches on all makes for 13 years and working out of Ford's, Chev's and Dodge's the front runner hands down for holding up day in and day out is the Duramax without question. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #33 on: Feb 29, 2012, 03:54 PM »

There's only one VERY big problem with this...they don't come with ARP head studs from factory. This is a very expensive fix and at the end of the day by spending a few thousand on ANY vehicle you could make it a better and more "bullet proof" truck. Fact is, if it's built well in the first place you don't have to spend a few thousand on it to make it run.

Lets not forget about injectors, you know a 6.0 will need a few sets of thoses as well.

It baffles my mind that ford, given their history of bad injectors would make it so you have to remove the cab to change them on the newer models. Under warranty it wouldnt be a huge deal, but without warranty that would worry me.  :unsure:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #34 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:56 PM »
You don't have to remove the cab to do injectors... Just have to know what your doing. I have changed injectors on 6.0L by both removing the cab and without removing cab and sure taking the cab off makes it easier and is very very easy and quick to do but you do not HAVE to remove the cab. Only reason dealers do it is mechanics get more money if on flat rate if they remove the cab. And cummins have been having more injector problems lately than ford.. All new trucks have their flaws and pros its just what ever you prefer and want to deal with. If you own a vehicle your gonna have problems its just part of it.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:24 PM »
All new trucks have their flaws and pros its just what ever you prefer and want to deal with. If you own a vehicle your gonna have problems its just part of it.

Absolutely. Doesn't matter what make, they all need fixing at times.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:22 PM »
You should never have to do injectors before 400000km Had a 6.0l for 5 years deleted the egr right off the hopp. changed oil every 4000km. Had a friend at merlin ;D tell me everything about any problems. As long as you deleted early you never touched studs. engine never got hot. so many people would keep driving there vehicle after the egr cooler went, not smart. and if you change your oil lots,and use conditioner injectors problem will be nil.  I wanted the 5.9 but was also worried about everything around that motor(front end). Just my two cents.  Oh and What snow.. :)

MikeMiller

« Reply #37 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:51 PM »
i love my 2001 dodge cummins 5.9 the guy i bought my truck from did the whole front end so im good for a bit lol i love the legendary 5.9 :)

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Had over 8 inches allready with big drifts in toon town allready. Now this is a storm.

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Yep might be a little tough getting around on the lake this weekend. Good thing I have a Chev.

Offline Walleye Annihilator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Yup.. chevy's definatelly have the best heating system in them, which is good.....you will be warm till I come pull you out with my Toyota.    ;D HAHA

Offline fnsdeuce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Yup.. chevy's definatelly have the best heating system in them, which is good.....you will be warm till I come pull you out with my Toyota.    ;D HAHA

bwahahahah... :o ::)

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:03 AM »

I just hope that your toyota is newer with the heated bumpers so that my hands don't get cold while pushing you out.  :woot: lol

MikeMiller

« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2012, 05:08 PM »
was out on the fort today few big drifts not much to worry about though

Offline rutherbefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Anybody been up to the big shell area after all this snow? Just wondering if you can still drive on

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #45 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:09 PM »
You "SHOULD" be ok around the shell area. I say this with scepticism because I have not been over there, but will tell you that we recieved less than an inch of snow in Prince Albert in the last 3 day's.

Offline Lakerside37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:41 PM »
wondering how much snow on the flats at Tobin heading up Friday we will have 5or6 trucks thinking we should be fine thought i would check

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.