Author Topic: The Marcum Difference  (Read 10677 times)

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
The Marcum Difference
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:02 PM »
I personally think that MarCum sets the standard in which all other ice sonars should be judged. I finally got out to use my LX-5 and all I can say is wow. Even with the minor issue I had that you will read about below, this unit is truly in a class of its own. Those of you who own one know what im talking about. I fished side by side with my buddy who owns a Vexilar FL-20 and he is now sold on MarCum. The Super Fine Line feature is what really makes this unit stand out from the rest. On my friends Vexilar, the perch blended right into the bottom in zoom and he could not tell the difference until one rose to his jig. On my LX-5, the fish were clearly visible sitting just off bottom in 42ft of water.

The reason I'm writing this is because of the other great feature about MarCum, and that is its customer service. I recently read a post about someone who had small dents in the bottom of their LX-5 transducer and it was causing them some minor issues. I also have some tiny dents in the bottom of my transducer and although the unit still works, I was having to turn my gain higher than I should for the situation and I would loose my jig once and awhile. I decided to give MarCum a call today and see what they had to say about the issue. My call was answered on the second ring by a very well mannered person who spoke clean, easy to understand English. I asked him if what I was experiencing was normal and he responded no, absolutely not. I then asked if I could ship my transducer back in exchange for a new one. He said "Nope, we are going to send you a brand new unit with free shipping and paid return shipping for yours." When I asked if I could pay the difference for two day shipping due to my fishing trip Friday, he said "Nah, I'll have it in the mail today with 2 day express and you'll have it Wednesday."

I dont think that anyone could ask for better customer service than what MarCum provides for its customers. Its very nice to know that the company stands behind its product 110% and will do whatever it takes to make sure their customers are satisfied. What kind of customer service experiences have you guys had with your flasher companies?

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Marcum Difference
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:00 AM »
I own both and I don't understand how anyone could sell a vex for a marcum, don't get me wrong they are both good, but the vex is just better, better display, better battery, and better battery life, charges quicker, with that said, I have a lx3tc that I am comparing to a Fl20, maybe not a fair comparison, probably need to compare it to a lx5.

Hooded screens aren't for me either, like to see what my buddies seeing on his unit in the tent.  I am talking from experience, will be heading out today, my eighth day fishing this season, I get out at least 30 times a season. 

Forgot to mention that marcums customer service is outstanding, only reason I have the lx3 is the showdown dual beam I bought, didn't work neither did the next one they sent out, finally I told them I had no confidence in the showdown and I would perfer a flasher so the sent me out the lx3, all very quick and did not cost me a cent for shipping.

Anyways its kinda a ford Chevy debate, even though fords are much better lol. 

To be honest the best bang for your buck as far as flashers, is the HB ice 35, 2 of my main fishing buds have the units, 300 bucks,  best screen I have seen, battery's last for days, humming bird could have sold this thing for 500 easy.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I have been a Vexilar guy for years, and up until this season I would not have traded my FL18 for anything in the Marcum line-up.

The look of the LX7 blew me away and I had to make the switch. Yes it has some issues, but I think once the kinks are worked out it will be a great machine. You will not get me to say a bad word about Vexilar, and I still believe the FL18 is a better unit then the LX3, or LX5.. time will tell on the LX7

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Having owned a Fl-8, 2 FL-18;s and fishing next to a FL-20 the past 3 seasons theres no way I could go back to the thick blended Vex lines after owning the LX-5....Better zoom, better seperation, sharp clear lines, true 3 color, battery has never died on me yet,no extras to buy after initial purchase.....Also own a LX-7 and loving it more and more even with a few minor glitches....Nothing against Vex they served me well for many years but they arent the leaders in the industrie they once were...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Having owned a Fl-8, 2 FL-18;s and fishing next to a FL-20 the past 3 seasons theres no way I could go back to the thick blended Vex lines after owning the LX-5....Better zoom, better seperation, sharp clear lines, true 3 color, battery has never died on me yet,no extras to buy after initial purchase.....Also own a LX-7 and loving it more and more even with a few minor glitches....Nothing against Vex they served me well for many years but they arent the leaders in the industrie they once were...

Get me a Marcum that is under $480, will read my spoon in 180 FOW and I will buy it.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:48 AM »
LX-5's were that price earlier in the season, think there is still a $50 rebate going that will put the price at well below the $450 mark  Listed for $469 here http://www.profishingsupply.com/flashers/lx-5.htm  Rebates good for units purchased untill Jan 15, so with rebate your looking at $419 to your door...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:17 AM »
LX-5's were that price earlier in the season, think there is still a $50 rebate going that will put the price at well below the $450 mark  Listed for $469 here http://www.profishingsupply.com/flashers/lx-5.htm  Rebates good for units purchased untill Jan 15, so with rebate your looking at $419 to your door...

Last Lx5 that I used didn't read my spoon much below 140...BTW, when did Marcum start making the LX5 to go to 200 Feet?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Guess they only go to 160, no biggie for me dont have water that deep...Never fish for anything over 22' personaly....

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I liked my fl-20 when I had it, but honestly it struggled in water deeper than 40 foot and could hardly keep a signal from my jig once it got over 20 foot down unless I maxed the sens and then the screen cluttered up.  It was a good unit, but not enough power.  The reason your vex last so long is because they run low watts.  I believe they are around 600 watts peak and most other units are 2400 watts.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I liked my fl-20 when I had it, but honestly it struggled in water deeper than 40 foot and could hardly keep a signal from my jig once it got over 20 foot down unless I maxed the sens and then the screen cluttered up.  It was a good unit, but not enough power.  The reason your vex last so long is because they run low watts.  I believe they are around 600 watts peak and most other units are 2400 watts.

The fl-20 did not work in those depths for me either when I tried it.

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Normally i'm not that deep, but when we go for smelt or rainbow's, I fish up to 65 foot deep.  Overall it was a great unit, but the lx-5 with sfl smoked it!  I can't wait to use my lx-7 if we ever get ice in southern michigan!!

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:58 PM »
He said he doesnt mind the vexy having thicker lines or the resolution being less crisp. What sold him on my lx-5 was that I was picking up fish on bottom that he wasn't and one line on his display  was actually two fish on my marcum. .

that is exactly what i have seen with vexilars. that is why i love my lx-3 ;D.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:00 PM »

that is exactly what i have seen with vexilars. that is why i love my lx-3 ;D.

Same here although Vex guys will argue the fact theirs miss fish....

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Maybe you guys misunderstand...i desperately want new, 21st century technology that is better than my fl-18...better for me means that it actually works better in the applications I use it for...I'm sure one of my buddies will splurge on the lx-7, and I will get to see if its worth it...but so far, since 2003, nobody has made a unit that works better in the deep water that I fish...

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:27 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them....bird, vex, marcum.  Some do things better than others but they all find fish.  I just prefer Marcum over the others because of the water depths I fish and the IR adjustment.  I bought the lx-7, but as of right now I think the lx-5 is probably the best all around flasher until the tweeks are done to the lx-7.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 AM »
lets not forget that Marcum is an AMERICAN MADE product.  I believe performance wise both are close but the edge goes to marcum for fish on the bottom and I but American when I can that makes it a no brainer. 
Shane

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:38 PM »
working in the steel mills and pipe mills all my adult life the mechanical noises are what i hear. i don't have that trouble with the marcum and i think it is worth the no noise or the whirring of the vex. i personally think the 8 and 18 were there best.  did not like the flat screen unless it would be in a shanty. i bought the marcum because i could, not because i had to. yes i like it and i think it will be looked at and  copied by others to keep up. move ahead or fall back. go fishing and have fun.

Tinker

« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Hey bigredonice, what are you fishing at those depths.  I believe we have a few lakes in MT that go that deep, but never thought one would fish the deep.  Just wondering.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:30 AM »
I fish deep water lakes, I used to own a few Vex units, the last one an FL-20, two different angle ducers, the unit could't handle 80 feet, thick lines, gain adjusted high, latency....it pissed me off to no end. Went and got an LX-5, all of those issues went away, and I could fish down to 120 feet without any problems, haven't fished any deeper yet, but I'm pleased (very much so) with the LX-5's performance, even in shallow water.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:29 AM »
I personally think that MarCum sets the standard in which all other ice sonars should be judged. I finally got out to use my LX-5 and all I can say is wow. Even with the minor issue I had that you will read about below, this unit is truly in a class of its own. Those of you who own one know what im talking about. I fished side by side with my buddy who owns a Vexilar FL-20 and he is now sold on MarCum. The Super Fine Line feature is what really makes this unit stand out from the rest. On my friends Vexilar, the perch blended right into the bottom in zoom and he could not tell the difference until one rose to his jig. On my LX-5, the fish were clearly visible sitting just off bottom in 42ft of water.

The reason I'm writing this is because of the other great feature about MarCum, and that is its customer service. I recently read a post about someone who had small dents in the bottom of their LX-5 transducer and it was causing them some minor issues. I also have some tiny dents in the bottom of my transducer and although the unit still works, I was having to turn my gain higher than I should for the situation and I would loose my jig once and awhile. I decided to give MarCum a call today and see what they had to say about the issue. My call was answered on the second ring by a very well mannered person who spoke clean, easy to understand English. I asked him if what I was experiencing was normal and he responded no, absolutely not. I then asked if I could ship my transducer back in exchange for a new one. He said "Nope, we are going to send you a brand new unit with free shipping and paid return shipping for yours." When I asked if I could pay the difference for two day shipping due to my fishing trip Friday, he said "Nah, I'll have it in the mail today with 2 day express and you'll have it Wednesday."

I dont think that anyone could ask for better customer service than what MarCum provides for its customers. Its very nice to know that the company stands behind its product 110% and will do whatever it takes to make sure their customers are satisfied. What kind of customer service experiences have you guys had with your flasher companies?

And i take it your the one and only god that can be the judger of all flashers?? :woot: Thats funny...... ;D :roflmao: :clap:

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:52 AM »
What kind of customer service experiences have you guys had with your flasher companies?

I've never needed customer service for my Vexilar.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:23 AM »
I fish deep water lakes, I used to own a few Vex units, the last one an FL-20, two different angle ducers, the unit could't handle 80 feet, thick lines, gain adjusted high, latency....it pissed me off to no end. Went and got an LX-5, all of those issues went away, and I could fish down to 120 feet without any problems, haven't fished any deeper yet, but I'm pleased (very much so) with the LX-5's performance, even in shallow water.

I have also fished to 120' with my LX-5 and no issues.
A lot of my lakes are deeper than the maximum depth it will read though.   :'(
It it read to 240' or 300' it would be perfect (you engineers at Marcum listening?).  ;D
The deepest spot on the big lake here is just over 2000' but I ain't fishing that deep.   ;)2

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Nope, its just one mans opinion based on limited experience. Based on your comment I take it your easily offended, immature, and slightly jealous that my flasher is much mo' betta'.

I say this with love.

Not any of those. Nope just stirrin the pot a liitle ;D Cant handle a little criticism?? stay outta the kitchen..... :roflmao:

I say this with love :cookoo: ;)

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Tinker

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Having not run a flasher I probably have no dog in this fight, but I am looking to get one.  My 2 cents would be that the "vex is the best" because they were maybe not the only show in town but the best known and most commonly purchased.  Makes me think of heaters, seems like every one says the mr heater buddy or big buddy is the best, but what really are your other options?  I know there are others out there, but those seem to be the most popular adn most used.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Having not run a flasher I probably have no dog in this fight, but I am looking to get one.  My 2 cents would be that the "vex is the best" because they were maybe not the only show in town but the best known and most commonly purchased.  Makes me think of heaters, seems like every one says the mr heater buddy or big buddy is the best, but what really are your other options?  I know there are others out there, but those seem to be the most popular adn most used.

if you are looking purely at technology, Lowrance and Marcum truly are at the top, but when you start looking at things like practicality, reliability, and ease of use, things get quite a bit murkier.   In all honesty, there really isn't a best overall unit, just the best unit for one's applications.

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I would get the best of what I can afford and be content.
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:12 AM »
if you are looking purely at technology, Lowrance and Marcum truly are at the top, but when you start looking at things like practicality, reliability, and ease of use, things get quite a bit murkier.   In all honesty, there really isn't a best overall unit, just the best unit for one's applications.

Pure technology?  Lowrance and Humminbird BLOW Marcum out of the water.  The graph mode on the LX7 looks like something from the 80's.  The HDS 5 is ten times more technologically advanced thand the LX 7, and it's cheaper.  Heck, the x67c is better than the LX7, and it's $250!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Pure technology?  Lowrance and Humminbird BLOW Marcum out of the water.  The graph mode on the LX7 looks like something from the 80's.  The HDS 5 is ten times more technologically advanced thand the LX 7, and it's cheaper.  Heck, the x67c is better than the LX7, and it's $250!

Typical person judging equipment they don't own.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:52 AM »
The marcum difference  :roflmao: :roflmao: The difference is when they don't come out with them updates or fix them blemished screens u are going to wish u bought a vex and that is why vex is number 1 because they wouldn't have put faulty equipment on the market to begin with and then not have a fix for it  THEEEEEEN!!! still sell it for $700  :flex: :flex:
FISH ON

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:27 PM »
Same here although Vex guys will argue the fact theirs miss fish....

yup..Nothing worse than watching thick blobby lines all day long and not being able to deciefer between your lure and a fish that is a foot below your bait..... Marcum all the way. Vex has been left in the dust by hbird and marcum. Vexilar is only still in business becasue of their name. I own a vex fl8, marcum vx1 and a lx5.... My vex never gets used as its not even close to performaing as well as either of the marcums........Marcum has the best features out there and nothing comes close. Anyone that is still screamin vexilar has been left int he dust right along with them. Marcums are cheaper, made in the usa, and are all around better units...Why bother with vex?
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.