Author Topic: The Marcum Difference  (Read 10678 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: The Marcum Difference
« Reply #60 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:10 AM »
someone should alert vexilar
What doesn't a Vex do that it is supposed to? Maybe I won't buy one?  ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:54 PM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Update: The new lx-5 marcum sent me is perfection, I absolutely love it. I fished black lake last weekend and boy was it cold and slow fishing. Anyway, I fished side by side with my friends humminbird ice-45. I was very impressed with the bird and if I could change one thing about I'm lx-5 it would be to have a display like the birds have. It would be awesome to have the fine lines and amazing target separation of the marcum on the big flat display of the bird. The ice-45 and vexilar fl-20 I have compared my lx-5 to definitely have way thicker lines that are harder to decipher.  None of us had any issues with interference. I would never give up my lx-5 for anything but after seeing and using the ice-45 I would probally choose it over anything else if I could only spend 350 bucks.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:15 PM »

don't you already have one?  ???

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #64 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:11 AM »
don't you already have one?  ???
Yup, just . Seems to work  for others.  ;)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:51 AM »
right there with ya.  Lo-K-Tors probably work for others too.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I'm just hanging around waiting for someone to tell me what a Vex doesn't do that is supposed to. No one seems to have the answer. I can see a tiny bead slide down the line to a jig 30' below me on my FL18.  I can see a fish approach my bait. What else is it supposed to do? I have a Marcum also and it does the same thing. It has the Super Fine Line option which is great, but my question is still "What doesn't the Vex do that it is supposed to do?". I don't fish for Guppies in sixty feet of water and if I did I would probably use my LX5.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:36 PM »
I'm just hanging around waiting for someone to tell me what a Vex doesn't do that is supposed to. No one seems to have the answer. I can see a tiny bead slide down the line to a jig 30' below me on my FL18.  I can see a fish approach my bait. What else is it supposed to do? I have a Marcum also and it does the same thing. It has the Super Fine Line option which is great, but my question is still "What doesn't the Vex do that it is supposed to do?". I don't fish for Guppies in sixty feet of water and if I did I would probably use my LX5.

We don't mean to imply that your vexilar doesn't do what its supposed to do, some of us just have our own opinion that the marcum does a much better job doing what your vexy is supposed to do.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:55 PM »

spf, better target separation, movable zoom, true 3 color.  all are advancements that have been marcum made.  what advancement has vexilar made?   an attachable grill light and battery indicator?  zzzzZZZzZZZzzzzZZZ

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:01 PM »
spf, better target separation, movable zoom, true 3 color.  all are advancements that have been marcum made.  what advancement has vexilar made?   an attachable grill light and battery indicator?  zzzzZZZzZZZzzzzZZZ

3 color?  Did si-tek invent that, the company that became vexilar?  Ever even heard of Si-Tek?  How about the company Zercom, ever heard of them ? In terms of advancement, vex was the first company to make a flasher with zoom along with other advancements like dual beam ducers, etc 

Is any credit due to lowrance's fish-lo-k-tor at all?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #70 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:08 PM »
We don't mean to imply that your vexilar doesn't do what its supposed to do, some of us just have our own opinion that the marcum does a much better job doing what your vexy is supposed to do.
I realize that and I think the people that manufacture Vexilars do to. If it was my company I would be getting ready to bring something else to market that is an improvement. I have a Marcum also, but don't feel that every thread about sonars has to turn into a Vex bashing thread. I think my LX5 has better target separation and a movable Zoom, but that still doesn't mean that someone who owns a Vex owns a turd in a punchbowl. Owning a Vex is nothing to be ashamed of is all I'm trying to say. 

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:20 PM »
3 color?  Did si-tek invent that, the company that became vexilar?  Ever even heard of Si-Tek?  How about the company Zercom, ever heard of them ? In terms of advancement, vex was the first company to make a flasher with zoom along with other advancements like dual beam ducers, etc

From the Vexilar website:

Q: I have a SiTex, Micronar, or Hondex FL-8. Is that your product too?
A: Vexilar was not involved with the FL-8 before 1990. Any product manufactured under the other names was not made by us, nor did we "buy out" those manufacturers. We can, however, provide parts and service for all of the older FL-8 models.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #72 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:21 PM »
spf, better target separation, movable zoom, true 3 color.  all are advancements that have been marcum made. 
They are all things that Marcum has and Vex doesn't claim to have. I didn't say Vex is better or more advanced than Marcum is. There are people that own Vex because they want to own them and as a Marcum owner it gives me no reason to bad mouth a Vex owner. I still don't know what a Vexilar doesn't do that it is supposed to and whether it has a drink holder, attached light or wipes someone's butt makes no difference. This is fun though.  ;D

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 19, 2012, 02:49 PM »
nobody is bad mouthing vex owners  ::)

i can use grandpas old golf clubs to play a round of golf and they'll get the job done but i think i'll use my callaways instead.   old technology is still usable but sometimes the industry moves past it.  noone is saying that a marcum is drastically better than vexilar.  they just have more usable features which i believe makes them more versatile.  you said it yourself. 

other companies continue to push the industry while vexilar continues to slap cameras onto their flashers and going TA DAAA and claiming it as innovative.

if marcum's service and overall product durability and build quality was a little better, i'd say there would be no contest. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #74 on: Jan 19, 2012, 02:54 PM »

if marcum's service and overall product durability and build quality was a little better, i'd say there would be no contest.

I'm not going to disagree there...but when your talking units that are around $500...being bulletproof is worth more than fancy bells and whistles... of course in a perfect world you would get both.

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 19, 2012, 02:58 PM »

If "ifs" were fifths........we'd all be drunk.   ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #76 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:00 PM »

If "ifs" were fifths........we'd all be drunk.   ;)
I'm all fer joinin ya and I even think I have a .750 of Crown that needs to be opened.  :o ;D ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #77 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:12 PM »
nobody is bad mouthing vex owners  ::)

i can use grandpas old golf clubs to play a round of golf and they'll get the job done but i think i'll use my callaways instead.   old technology is still usable but sometimes the industry moves past it.  noone is saying that a marcum is drastically better than vexilar.  they just have more usable features which i believe makes them more versatile.  you said it yourself. 

other companies continue to push the industry while vexilar continues to slap cameras onto their flashers and going TA DAAA and claiming it as innovative.

When I bought my FL18 I was thinking about buying an LX5 and I think they were both new on the market. The guy that owned the baitshop recommended the FL18 because he was having LX5s being returned and not much luck when dealing with Marcum's CS department. He got burned enough that he won't sell Marcum products to this day. That's why I bought an FL18 in the first place and used it exclusively until last December when I bought an LX5. I really don't care if Vexilar slaps cameras into their flashers or not, but people continue to buy them. All I did was ask a simple question and I still don't know what Vexilar doesn't do that it is supposed to do.  ;) ;D

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I'm all fer joinin ya and I even think I have a .750 of Crown that needs to be opened.  :o ;D ;D

Now you're talking!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:52 PM »
When I bought my FL18 I was thinking about buying an LX5 and I think they were both new on the market. The guy that owned the baitshop recommended the FL18 because he was having LX5s being returned and not much luck when dealing with Marcum's CS department. He got burned enough that he won't sell Marcum products to this day. That's why I bought an FL18 in the first place and used it exclusively until last December when I bought an LX5. I really don't care if Vexilar slaps cameras into their flashers or not, but people continue to buy them. All I did was ask a simple question and I still don't know what Vexilar doesn't do that it is supposed to do.  ;) ;D

then i guess you'll never know if you haven't been able to figure it yet. 

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I still don't know what Vexilar doesn't do that it is supposed to do.  ;) ;D

Yah,  And i still can't figure out how many licks that it takes to get to the tootsie roll.  We want answers damn-it!
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #81 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:46 PM »
then i guess you'll never know if you haven't been able to figure it yet.
Didn't figure I'd get an answer.  ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Didn't figure I'd get an answer.  ;D

You posting rhetorical questions in da flasher wars threads again dawg? You pot stirrin scamp.  :clap:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #83 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:03 PM »
You posting rhetorical questions in da flasher wars threads again dawg? You pot stirrin scamp.  :clap:
In case ya don't remember, gain controls output power jiggy.  ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:03 PM »
In case ya don't remember, gain controls output power jiggy.  ;D

Ya I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Hmm. I'll see if I can find the owners manual for my Eagle Silent Thirty, it might have been in there.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.