Author Topic: The Marcum Difference  (Read 10679 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: The Marcum Difference
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:40 PM »
thin lines?  I had the thin lines on my old machine, a zercom colorpoint, and that was more than 10 years ago.  Not a difference maker...

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:03 PM »
thin lines?  I had the thin lines on my old machine, a zercom colorpoint, and that was more than 10 years ago.  Not a difference maker...

well, its a night and day diff between my marcum and my vex..... Its great being able to seperate fish that are chasing your bait or seperate fish in a school of fish and target the bigger marks  instead of just seeing a massive blob of color like you get from a vex...A marcum will tell you mich more about how the fish are reacting or not reacting to your presentation when you can seperate everything...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:54 PM »
well, its a night and day diff between my marcum and my vex..... Its great being able to seperate fish that are chasing your bait or seperate fish in a school of fish and target the bigger marks  instead of just seeing a massive blob of color like you get from a vex...A marcum will tell you mich more about how the fish are reacting or not reacting to your presentation when you can seperate everything...

Lets agree to disagree here...i think we would fish with our gain on different settings...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:10 PM »
The marcum difference  :roflmao: :roflmao: The difference is when they don't come out with them updates or fix them blemished screens u are going to wish u bought a vex and that is why vex is number 1 because they wouldn't have put faulty equipment on the market to begin with and then not have a fix for it  THEEEEEEN!!! still sell it for $700  :flex: :flex:

*COUGHTRIBEAMCOUGH*  ::)

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:16 PM »
The marcum difference  :roflmao: :roflmao: The difference is when they don't come out with them updates or fix them blemished screens u are going to wish u bought a vex and that is why vex is number 1 because they wouldn't have put faulty equipment on the market to begin with and then not have a fix for it  THEEEEEEN!!! still sell it for $700  :flex: :flex:

hey look who is trolling  :woot:

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:21 PM »
The deepest spot on the big lake here is just over 2000' but I ain't fishing that deep.   ;)2

:o Holy Crap! You really should give it a try.

"Catch anything?"
"Yep, did pretty well."
"How deep were you fishin?"
"Oh, about 1/3rd of a mile."

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:23 PM »

did you say blob? i can show you blob

&feature=related

look at the video and you can see the big blob on the screen, even though the sensitivity knob is turned all the way down!!! oh wait, i need low power mode.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:27 PM »
This is what a good blob looks like.    ;D
The bottom 1/4 of the water column is stacked almost 10' thick with whitefish.   :thumbsup:

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:13 PM »
WOW, look at that target separation. I know exactly where the fish I want to try to catch is  :o.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:59 PM »
hey look who is trolling  :woot:
Just wanted to snoop down to your guys level for a second and bash your thred but i don't get no satisfaction out of it because i know i bought the best money can by and don't need to justify it  :P @) so have fun..Staying out of these debates for now on...lol...
FISH ON

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:48 PM »
keep trying to convince yourself of that. lol.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:03 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with Vexilar, HB, or Marcum, all great flashers, I have a fl20 and a lx3tc, the lx3 I got last march, I have been using it quite abit, and I am starting to like it, don't like the hooded screen in the tent, nobody else can see it, and the battery it reading 10% at the end of the day in a heated tent, not impressed with that, but I do like the flasher, helped me catch 21 fat walleyes on lake winnipeg the other day, the Vex only caught 5, but my Dad was using it and it was his first time fishing, ever!  I just wan't to say to everyone in the market for a flasher, they are all good but the Showdown, avoid like the plegue.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:28 AM »
Drifter, I agree, would like to see Marcum be able to go much deeper than currently advertised, I'm certain I could target some large Lakers in deeper water, but not 2000 ft.....hahahaha, that's just crazy.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:41 AM »
I think the LX=7 goes to 400??? Will have to look at the ranges sometime when I have it out...

Offline DB_Cooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:37 AM »
I believe  the 7 goes to 299 or 300 ft
ya gotta pay to play!

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:08 AM »
All I care is that I can fish deeper than 20 foot, which I couldn't do reliably with my Vex, hence why I now own a marcum. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:46 AM »
This is what a good blob looks like.    ;D
The bottom 1/4 of the water column is stacked almost 10' thick with whitefish.   :thumbsup:

(Image removed from quote.)
That's kind of what my LX5 looked like the first time I used it. I had 4' of Perch on the bottom.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Called Marcum this morning and John called me back in less than two hours! :bow: I am as confident as ever that they will back up their products! LX7 is here to stay.  :thumbsup:

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:59 PM »
So what?  If they put out quality products they'd never get a phone call!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:47 PM »
So what?  If they put out quality products they'd never get a phone call!!!
Well said. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Thank you for all the great information. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Where were you $700 ago? Oh well, I'm glad you are here now! :clap: Read some of your posts... My favorite was the one where you told esox to "go play with your new technology and leave us half wits be. Or better yet, go to one of the other 20 forums you frequent preaching the marCUM gospel." You seem like a real nice guy, even if you don't follow your own gospel. Again, welcome to the Marcum sand box. :woot:  Later, former fl20 blob watcher

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Well said. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Thank you for all the great information. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Where were you $700 ago? Oh well, I'm glad you are here now! :clap: Read some of your posts... My favorite was the one where you told esox to "go play with your new technology and leave us half wits be. Or better yet, go to one of the other 20 forums you frequent preaching the marCUM gospel." You seem like a real nice guy, even if you don't follow your own gospel. Again, welcome to the Marcum sand box. :woot:  Later, former fl20 blob watcher

Will do, LX 7 blob watcher!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I knew Vex's customer service number well when I owned them to.... 3 of the 4 I owned had to be sent in for repair....

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Vex has great C.S. I am still waiting to hear from Hummingbird since 2010. It will have to be a sweet unit to get my business from a company that won't return numerous requests from phone and email. If vex ever comes out with a $50 license holder, both Marcum and Bird will be scrambling to keep up. ;D

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:56 PM »
If vex ever comes out with a $50 license holder, both Marcum and Bird will be scrambling to keep up. ;D

;D, or they'll add a digital clock so you know what time it is while you looking at the unit. charge another $50. and vex guys will pay it because its a vexilar  ::)

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:49 AM »
;D, or they'll add a digital clock so you know what time it is while you looking at the unit. charge another $50. and vex guys will pay it because its a vexilar  ::)

At least they'll get what was advertised.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:33 AM »

At least they'll get what was advertised.
True. I was missing dynamic depth the other day in23' of water. 40' scale made it about a 3" screen. :(

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:13 AM »
I inherited a stack of old Outdoor Life magazines from the 1960 and 70s, and I've been reading them the past couple weeks. A couple articles from the early 70s make mention of "depth-finding technology", but it was primitive compared to what we have now. And yet somehow they still managed to catch fish ;)

I wouldn't go fishing without my flasher (I won't even comment on the brand, but it starts with an "M"), but these articles bring home the message that we're splitting hairs talking about advantages of one over another. The "best" is a constantly moving target. Technology improves, and so does the product.

And don't anybody go saying how Field and Stream is so much better than Outdoor Life  ;D ;D

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Technology improves,

someone should alert vexilar

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #58 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I think the LX=7 goes to 400??? Will have to look at the ranges sometime when I have it out...

Where are you fishing? the north atlantic? I don't even have 200 feet of line on my reel.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Where are you fishing? the north atlantic? I don't even have 200 feet of line on my reel.

400' is shallow on the big lake here.   :whistle:
Deepest spot is just over 2000' deep!!!!  :woot:
Great Slave is the deepest lake in North America.   @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.