The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Derby Winning Togue (pic)  (Read 13522 times)

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
Re: Sebago Derby Winning Togue (pic)
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:20 PM »
The fish was still brought threw the ice whether it was tangled or not. The guy is an idiot for admitting it bite the other guys trap first. The fish was landed and it took first place. It doesn't matter how it was landed as long as it was landed does it? or is there a law that says it can't be landed that way? Not trying to be a smart ass at all I really dnt know if there is a law against.

Technically he did not snag it:

SNAGGING: To fish by manipulating a hook or hooks in such a manner as to pierce or snag the fish in a part of the body other than the mouth. It is unlawful to fish for any fish, except suckers, by snagging. (12651)

There are no laws regarding "tangled".

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #61 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I fished this derby, first one I have ever participated in, had four flags, all hit and spit with bait still intact.  I spent the entire time on the ice watching those traps, never left, ran like crazy when I had a flag, believe me!  If a guy leaves the ice for whatever reason for long duration other than to take care of business with the natural callings than by Maine Tradition and fair play he no longer has rights to what happens on his traps because he is now in violation of Maine Ice Fishing Laws pure and simple!  The fish is the property of the individual who landed it, that person should have been the one to enter it in the derby by rule and Maine Ice Fishing regulations.  Smeltslayer is dead right with this, fish as entered needs to be DQ'd pure and simple, man wasn't there to land the fish and you should never be allowed by derby rules to enter a fish you did not ice personally!  Hey guys, fair is fair, does not sound like the derby winning fish was handled fairly in my opinion.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I fished this derby, first one I have ever participated in, had four flags, all hit and spit with bait still intact.  I spent the entire time on the ice watching those traps, never left, ran like crazy when I had a flag, believe me!  If a guy leaves the ice for whatever reason for long duration other than to take care of business with the natural callings than by Maine Tradition and fair play he no longer has rights to what happens on his traps because he is now in violation of Maine Ice Fishing Laws pure and simple!  The fish is the property of the individual who landed it, that person should have been the one to enter it in the derby by rule and Maine Ice Fishing regulations.  Smeltslayer is dead right with this, fish as entered needs to be DQ'd pure and simple, man wasn't there to land the fish and you should never be allowed by derby rules to enter a fish you did not ice personally!  Hey guys, fair is fair, does not sound like the derby winning fish was handled fairly in my opinion.

Imo it got on the ice. The fish snagged himself legal. Like sinnian said theres no law against the fish tangling himself up.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #63 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Technically he did not snag it:

There are no laws regarding "tangled".
The guy had unattended traps. If he had picked them up by law before he left the fish wouldn't of had a chance to bit the hook and then became entangled in the other guys line. Thus the fish wouldn't of been landed. Goes the same way as a vehicle accident. Vehicle is not registered gets into an accident its there fault because the vehicle should have not been on the road to begin with because it was not legal...  

Fish should be DQ. Not legal after the guy left his traps unattended.Fish should have been released!   >:( >:(

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:34 PM »
from the IF&W website:
Snagging. To fish by manipulating a hook or hooks in such a manner as to pierce or snag the fish in a part of the body other than the mouth. It is unlawful to fish for any fish, except suckers, by snagging. (12651)

I don't see a problam as the fish was entangled, not snagged. No law on landing an entangled fish. ;D
Derbies Suck!

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:34 PM »
The guy had unattended traps. If he had picked them up by law before he left the fish wouldn't of had a chance to bit the hook and then became entangled in the other guys line. Thus the fish wouldn't of been landed. Goes the same way as a vehicle accident. Vehicle is not registered gets into an accident its there fault because the vehicle should have not been on the road to begin with because it was not legal...  

Fish should be DQ. Not legal after the guy left his traps unattended.Fish should have been released!   >:( >:(

Just be glad you guys slayed the togue this weekend as I did not. You had a good time with friends and one managed second place. Thats awsome and thats more then a lot of people will ever be able to say. I'm just glad Jerry Parlin didn't place this year. I'm getting tired of seeing his name in the standings. Congrats on all the togue.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:35 PM »

"Fish should have been released!   >:( >:(   "

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
     GOOD ONE Will !          LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I'm just glad Jerry Parlin didn't place this year. I'm getting tired of seeing his name in the standings. Congrats on all the togue.
But if he did there would be grumblings just like last year about him cheating. Nobody is ever happy at a derby with such valuable prizes.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:38 PM »
But if he did there would be grumblings just like last year about him cheating.

I'm sure but he seems to win every other year. Not saying he's cheating but I just like to see new names winning even if its not my own.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #69 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:38 PM »

Wasn't arguing the pros or cons, just that it was not "snagged" as previously described, but "tangled" which is what you were told at the weigh station.  Catching a "tangled" fish is not illegal, as which was also offered up.

I see the merits of your argument, and wish Paul had won too.  This thread was about a pic of the winning Togue.  Don't begrudge the winner, but the derby.  Seems the guy who "caught" the "tangled" fish is a stand up guy, maybe too much so.  However, I highly doubt if anyone is truly honest about it, that they would have sent that fish back down the hole.  Seriously Will, would you have?

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:39 PM »
from the IF&W website:
Snagging. To fish by manipulating a hook or hooks in such a manner as to pierce or snag the fish in a part of the body other than the mouth. It is unlawful to fish for any fish, except suckers, by snagging. (12651)

I don't see a problam as the fish was entangled, not snagged. No law on landing an entangled fish. ;D
Derbies Suck!

I agree as long as the derby entrant was the person who iced the entangled fish!

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I'm sure but he seems to win every other year. Not saying he's cheating but I just like to see new names winning even if its not my own.
not saying you are calling him a cheater but I remember reading something on here last year about him cheating.

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I agree as long as the derby entrant was the person who iced the entangled fish!
He did and was nice enough to split any prizes won with the other smuck. It takes more skill to land a fish that is tangled then one that has a hook stuck in it's lip. ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:46 PM »
not saying you are calling him a cheater but I remember reading something on here last year about him cheating.

Was it saying that Jerry Parlin cheated or the guy who placed first I think his name was Butch?

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #74 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Wasn't arguing the pros or cons, just that it was not "snagged" as previously described, but "tangled" which is what you were told at the weigh station.  Catching a "tangled" fish is not illegal, as which was also offered up.

I see the merits of your argument, and wish Paul had won too.  This thread was about a pic of the winning Togue.  Don't begrudge the winner, but the derby.  Seems the guy who "caught" the "tangled" fish is a stand up guy, maybe too much so.  However, I highly doubt if anyone is truly honest about it, that they would have sent that fish back down the hole.  Seriously Will, would you have?
To begin with I would not of let someone set a trap 8' away from mine so it would of never happened. Just saying. We had a case Sunday where Flag caught a line with a fish on it that was attached to Fishnfools trap and it was sent back down the hole. That's the way it should of been just saying.  @) @)

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #75 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:50 PM »
To begin with I would not of let someone set a trap 8' away from mine so it would of never happened. Just saying. We had a case Sunday where Flag caught a line with a fish on it that was attached to Fishnfools trap and it was sent back down the hole. That's the way it should of been just saying.  @) @)

You're a better man than me then (which I am sure you already knew), I would not have sent a 14.14 pound Togue back down the hole.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:51 PM »

Exactly  :bow: :bow:

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Was it saying that Jerry Parlin cheated or the guy who placed first I think his name was Butch?
I think it was the guy that placed first, sorry for the mix up. Exactly why I stay away from the sebago derby. I like the derby weekend because the rest of the lakes are free and clear.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:55 PM »
He did and was nice enough to split any prizes won with the other smuck. It takes more skill to land a fish that is tangled then one that has a hook stuck in it's lip. ;D

How do you know this, if you didn't fish the derby?  Even if you did, with all the people there, spread out over such a huge lake, how do you know?  First hand statement from the winner?  That would be suspect, given the admitted situation wouldn't it?

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Maybe at next year's derby I will get there early and open a icefishing plot real estate business and sell exclusive rights to certain areas of the lake so that this close fishing won't occur. Or maybe I will propose a law to the legislators that no fisherman are to set traps within 100 yards of another. I might just be onto something. ;D

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:58 PM »
How do you know this, if you didn't fish the derby?  Even if you did, with all the people there, spread out over such a huge lake, how do you know?  First hand statement from the winner?  That would be suspect, given the admitted situation wouldn't it?
just sayin

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #81 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Maybe at next year's derby I will get there early and open a icefishing plot real estate business and sell exclusive rights to certain areas of the lake so that this close fishing won't occur. Or maybe I will propose a law to the legislators that no fisherman are to set traps within 100 yards of another. I might just be onto something. ;D

I know you're joking, but some states do have laws on the minimum distance between another persons traps.  I think we have enough laws though  :-\

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:59 PM »

I would be happy to set the plot corners for ya

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I know you're joking, but some states do have laws on the minimum distance between another persons traps.  I think we have enough laws though  :-\
All I wanted to do was post a picture of the winning fish as many wanted to see it. Sorry I did now, wish I had the power to delete the thread so I am trying to get it deleted myself. Bought time to bring up a good pike debate. Seems to be quite a bit of bitterness on the subject.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #84 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Really impressed at how civil this post has been. Figured I was gonna lose a few posts.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:06 PM »
All I wanted to do was post a picture of the winning fish as many wanted to see it. Sorry I did now, wish I had the power to delete the thread so I am trying to get it deleted myself. Bought time to bring up a good pike debate. Seems to be quite a bit of bitterness on the subject.

It's not you. People just don't like to admit they were out done.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:16 PM »

I think he meant if you landed the 14+lber lol

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #87 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I think he meant if you landed the 14+lber lol
There would of been a different out come,that's for sure. That's all I'm saying. You would have to know me.  @)

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Really impressed at how civil this post has been. Figured I was gonna lose a few posts.  ;D ;D ;D
Me too...lol
I've been watchin'  ::)

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Me too...lol
I've been watchin'  ::)
uh oh, big brother is watching.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com