The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Derby Winning Togue (pic)  (Read 13523 times)

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sebago Derby Winning Togue (pic)
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Might have missed this but...how long were the 1st and 2nd place togue?

Pauls was 33" and change.....1st place was 36" and change

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Thank you.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:24 PM »
I must have missed it also, where was he fishing?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:49 PM »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:02 PM »
Sebago dummy, that's why they call it the Sebago Derby! Jeez!!  ;)2
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Theirs no way he should have to share that prize! big difference between hooking a fish and pulling it up through the hole, Theirs being nice and theirs being foolish.
Never Give Up!

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:09 PM »
I wasn't there so I don't know how it all went down.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I personally feel the winning fish should have been DQ!! The guy that hooked the fish was in violation of Maine state law and it says right in the derby rules all Maine law must be followed!! They was not followed should fish should have been let go and not allowed to win the derby. Which means Paul would be the winner. This might tick a few people off but as any of you know I call'em as I see'em!! The guy that pulled it up the hole doesn't deserve the fish because it was originally hooked on a illegal trap, He had no hand in originally hooking the fish. Just saying! Let the comments fly.  ;D ;D ;D ;D If the derby officials did the polygraph as they say they can do it would be a different outcome the last few years!  :-\ :-\ BUT they don't want to make anybody upset!

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Again, this is why I don't fish derbies, please don't kill the messenger. The masses wanted to see the 1st place fish, which I happened to have a picture of that was texted to me. This reading should get interesting.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:29 PM »
so did the guy who pulled it through the hole foul hook it? did it gust get tangled up in his line and he pulled it up, I don't know the hole story!
Never Give Up!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Again, this is why I don't fish derbies, please don't kill the messenger. The masses wanted to see the 1st place fish, which I happened to have a picture of that was texted to me. This reading should get interesting.
Nothing to you at all, please don't take it that way at all! Just stating my opinion.  @)

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:18 PM »
i see a couple things wrong with this whole thing.  1st:  i would have cut the other guys line and knocked him out before he knew what happened...that problem would have been solved real quick.  2nd:  the fish really isn't legal.  no offense WW but that is total bogus.  the only way it would be ok is that if your friends hook WAS in the fishes mouth and he pulled the fish up through the hole and claimed it as his fish thus telling the guy with the unattended trap to stuff it....if not....see previous problem and solution...KO Him and run for the wiegh in.
lastly:  Pauls fish was caught 100% legal. no funny business...and what gets me is that if he got the boat,  which he should, he said he was going to leave it at my house for me to use as well....so when it all boils down i am just upset that the boat isn't in my door yard.... ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:26 PM »
i see a couple things wrong with this whole thing.  1st:  i would have cut the other guys line and knocked him out before he knew what happened...that problem would have been solved real quick.  2nd:  the fish really isn't legal.  no offense WW but that is total bogus.  the only way it would be ok is that if your friends hook WAS in the fishes mouth and he pulled the fish up through the hole and claimed it as his fish thus telling the guy with the unattended trap to stuff it....if not....see previous problem and solution...KO Him and run for the wiegh in.
lastly:  Pauls fish was caught 100% legal. no funny business...and what gets me is that if he got the boat,  which he should, he said he was going to leave it at my house for me to use as well....so when it all boils down i am just upset that the boat isn't in my door yard.... ;D

I agree with you other then one thing. How wasn't the fish caught legally? It bite the guys trap who wasn't attending it. Then bit a guys trap who was ready. The guy who was ready landed it fair and square making it legal. Imo the guy who's traps were unattended shouldn't be in the picture at all he should get a fine for unattended traps and thats that. His name shouldn't be in the paper and shouldn't get rewarded for doing something illegal which he did. The second guy sounds like he caught it fair and square. It sounds to me like he would have caught it anyway with the guy who originally hooked it only being 8 feet away.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I personally feel the winning fish should have been DQ!! The guy that hooked the fish was in violation of Maine state law and it says right in the derby rules all Maine law must be followed!! They was not followed should fish should have been let go and not allowed to win the derby. Which means Paul would be the winner. This might tick a few people off but as any of you know I call'em as I see'em!! The guy that pulled it up the hole doesn't deserve the fish because it was originally hooked on a illegal trap, He had no hand in originally hooking the fish. Just saying! Let the comments fly.  ;D ;D ;D ;D If the derby officials did the polygraph as they say they can do it would be a different outcome the last few years!  :-\ :-\ BUT they don't want to make anybody upset!

I think Butch orchestrated the whole chain of events Will! >:D ;D

Seriously though, did the second guy actually have a hook in the fishes mouth or just wrapped up in line...anybody know ???

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Very nice, :thumbsup:.... too bad the top prize had to be shared though! :-\ 
How are they going to share the fish? I guess their only option is to fillet it, so each of them can mount their side on the wall.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I think Butch orchestrated the whole chain of events Will! >:D ;D

Seriously though, did the second guy actually have a hook in the fishes mouth or just wrapped up in line...anybody know ???

either way it was caught and landed. But I would also like to know this.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #46 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:40 PM »
We were told at the weigh station it wrapped around the other guys line by the attendant. Snagged fish which should have been released immediately. Fish should be DQ!!  >:(

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:42 PM »
i see a couple things wrong with this whole thing.  1st:  i would have cut the other guys line and knocked him out before he knew what happened...that problem would have been solved real quick.  2nd:  the fish really isn't legal.  no offense WW but that is total bogus.  the only way it would be ok is that if your friends hook WAS in the fishes mouth and he pulled the fish up through the hole and claimed it as his fish thus telling the guy with the unattended trap to stuff it....if not....see previous problem and solution...KO Him and run for the wiegh in.
lastly:  Pauls fish was caught 100% legal. no funny business...and what gets me is that if he got the boat,  which he should, he said he was going to leave it at my house for me to use as well....so when it all boils down i am just upset that the boat isn't in my door yard.... ;D

I hear your frustration loud and clear you guys did your homework and caught a pile of fish I think you guys even had a fish near 8 that might have placed without the 14lber?
 but what I dont understand is why ANYONE would allow another angler to set a trap so close. I was all over some guys Sunday morning when they tried to set a trap 50 ft in front on my shack where I was fishing the day before and they saw me there. They said I though you moved your shack overnight I asked them if they jigged at all sat in thier shack and they said yes we did . I told I did too and bet them $100 bucks that thier shack was frozen in they did not take the bet

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I was all over some guys Sunday morning when they tried to set a trap 50 ft in front on my shack where I was fishing the day before and they saw me there.

i understand etiquette and all, but out of curiosity how big an area do you own around your shack  ???

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:49 PM »
GREAT FISH !

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:52 PM »
We were told at the weigh station it wrapped around the other guys line by the attendant. Snagged fish which should have been released immediately. Fish should be DQ!!  >:(

If the attendant is right, you have a very valid argument under Maine law.  Like you said though Will, nobody ever wants to have to make a "tough call", this will be no different. :tipup:

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:55 PM »
i understand etiquette and all, but out of curiosity how big an area do you own around your shack  ???

I got yelled at on Saturday out on the schoal's in front of the NW river for "being to close" to a guys trap. But I was jigging and moving around. I asked him the same thing. He continued to think he was right. I said I won't be long. And I wasn't. I'm glad I didn't pull a fish out of that hole it might not have ended well with him and his 5 other buddies to just me. Theres no need to yell at anyone out there. Lets not forget it's fishing maybe we could learn something when other people are close. Watch them and see what they do diferently. But thats just my opinion.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:05 PM »

Nice fish!  Congrats to the fisherman for the fish & being a really true sport! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap::thumbsup: If fish hadn't been caught @ a derby, everyone would be happy & talking about the funny experience; Giving kudos to the fishermen.  
     Seems to me that whenever someone does well @ these things, they get slammed for doing something wrong. SAD  :(       Maybe more people should follow the winners example????     JMHO,    LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:07 PM »
i understand etiquette and all, but out of curiosity how big an area do you own around your shack  ???

I dont own any area on the lake but we all fished saturday very civil I had four traps in front of my shack at 50 and 75ft out and 50 ft wide. he had his traps at 100 in front of my shack did not say a thing nor should I . They watched me land one fish and have another flag (please note that the area i am in has a very quick change of depth)  they got 0 flags . they leave at 4:30 or so and I spend the night. Sunday morning they arrive aroung 7am I am out getting ready to drill they start drilling at my 50ft hole well not at the hole but with 6 ft as I pointed it out to them. They said we thought you moved your shack. I asked them if they jigged at all on Sat in thier shack? They said oh yeah we tried that and I said I did too. I bet them a $100 that thier shack was frozen in ... to say the least they did not take the bet. I am the first one to give someone else space on the lake but dont sit there and watch me catch fish and then move your gear on top of mine Sorry call me an Idiot . selfish or whatever its not the way I was brought up and I wont change my ways

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #54 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:09 PM »
    Nice fish!  Congrats to the fisherman for the fish & being a really true sport! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap::thumbsup: If fish hadn't been caught @ a derby, everyone would be happy & talking about the funny experience; Giving kudos to the fishermen.  
     Seems to me that whenever someone does well @ these things, they get slammed for doing something wrong. SAD  :(       Maybe more people should follow the winners example????     JMHO,    LL
WHAT????????  They won the derby with an illegal fish!!! Got your blinders on tonight? You must not get it.  :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) Don't know what more to say!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #55 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:12 PM »
I dont own any area on the lake but we all fished saturday very civil I had four traps in front of my shack at 50 and 75ft out and 50 ft wide. he had his traps at 100 in front of my shack did not say a thing nor should I . They watched me land one fish and have another flag (please note that the area i am in has a very quick change of depth)  they got 0 flags . they leave at 4:30 or so and I spend the night. Sunday morning they arrive aroung 7am I am out getting ready to drill they start drilling at my 50ft hole well not at the hole but with 6 ft as I pointed it out to them. They said we thought you moved your shack. I asked them if they jigged at all on Sat in thier shack? They said oh yeah we tried that and I said I did too. I bet them a $100 that thier shack was frozen in ... to say the least they did not take the bet. I am the first one to give someone else space on the lake but dont sit there and watch me catch fish and then move your gear on top of mine Sorry call me an Idiot . selfish or whatever its not the way I was brought up and I wont change my ways
You did nothing wrong. Would of had words with them myself. You was there first. Hate it when I'm all set up and someone show up and says "Your in my spot, I think you should move!" I tell them they should of got out of bed earlier! AND show them the rest of the lake!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:13 PM »
WHAT????????  They won the derby with an illegal fish!!! Got your blinders on tonight? You must not get it.  :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) Don't know what more to say!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The fish was still brought threw the ice whether it was tangled or not. The guy is an idiot for admitting it bite the other guys trap first. The fish was landed and it took first place. It doesn't matter how it was landed as long as it was landed does it? or is there a law that says it can't be landed that way? Not trying to be a smart ass at all I really dnt know if there is a law against.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #57 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:16 PM »
The fish was still brought threw the ice whether it was tangled or not. The guy is an idiot for admitting it bite the other guys trap first. The fish was landed and it took first place. It doesn't matter how it was landed as long as it was landed does it? or is there a law that says it can't be landed that way? Not trying to be a smart ass at all I really dnt know if there is a law against.
Your not supposed to land it that way! Called snagging.  @) There's a law for everything here in Maine. Found out a lot of them the hard way. ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D BUT you learn fast.  ;D ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Your not supposed to land it that way! Called snagging.  @) There's a law for everything here in Maine. Found out a lot of them the hard way. ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D BUT you learn fast.  ;D ;D

Even if the fish snagged himself?

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #59 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Even if the fish snagged himself?
Yes even if he snagged himself.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.