Author Topic: I want a simple to use flasher, which one ?  (Read 5926 times)

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
I want a simple to use flasher, which one ?
« on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:44 AM »
I know this probally has been beat to death, but I was wondering if I could get some answers to my question.

I have never used a flasher, or been around one before, but I would like to purchase one very soon.
I don't like to have a ton of features in the electronics I have, so what would be the most simple, most reliable, easiest flasher to use, that is of a good quality ?

Thank you

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
Re: I want a simple to use flasher, which one ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:49 AM »
get yourself a couple sticks of DY NO MITE  one good flash is all you will need....

Seriously,,,I wish I knew the answer to that my self...I got a fishing Buddy from
Hummin bird I use and sometimes I wonder if thats any damn good..I checked
20 holes at least and not one darn fish..It either aint working or there aint nofish there.

Wish I knew.. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:54 AM »
marcum VX-1 or the vexilar FL-8 are great starter units. Easy to use and cheaper than the rest.

I prefer the marcum for a couple of reasons...

1-marcum is made in the USA while Vex is japan made

2-marcum has a zoom feature while the vex fl8 doesnt

3- I believe that the marcum boats more power so you will have better target seperation

PS_ I own both a marcum vx1 and an fl8 and I take the marcum with me 9 out of 10 times. I have had the vex for about 6 years and the marcum about 3 years. Both have worked flawlessly other than having to replace the battery on the vex which is bound to happen to any unit.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:02 AM »
They all work from the same basic princible,(sonar or sound waves) and the screens all look kind of similar. Some makes and models have a few extras like "ZOOM" and double or triple beam transducers which is not neccessary for some fishermen.  Any flasher will definatly increase your catch ratio by 2 or 3 times easily. All manufactures make a decent unit, but some are a little better than others, and each has pros and cons. Get what you can afford. You'll catch more fish with any brand!

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:28 AM »
x67c ice machine simple has a flasher pluse u get a graph mode witch is is really easy to read it has everything u will need.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:34 AM »
x67c ice machine simple has a flasher pluse u get a graph mode witch is is really easy to read it has everything u will need.
False .... Although an excellent sonar,  for a beginner the X67 is by far the most difficult sonar for a beginner to use comparitively speaking. There are way to many settings that need to be adjusted for someone looking for the complete opposite. You see more threads of experienced ice sonar users asking setup questions about the X67 then any other sonar. It would not be the best choice for the original poster's wants at all.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:39 AM »
False .... Although an excellent sonar,  for a beginner the X67 is by far the most difficult sonar for a beginner to use comparitively speaking. There are way to many settings that need to be adjusted for someone looking for the complete opposite. You see more threads of experienced ice sonar users asking setup questions about the X67 then any other sonar. It would not be the best choice for the original poster's wants at all.

agreed...The lowrance units are not a good starter unit..

Offline stinky fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~tight lines~
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:41 AM »
   you can also look on vexilars web site for used one  :o   what ever you go with you will learn to work it. i think mine came with video. ;D     good luck   ;)     :tipup:

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:44 AM »
I have a Marcum LCX-3 and love it.  Its very easy to use, holds a charge for the whole weekend,all you do is turn it on turn to the depth and adjust the sensitvity. Its so easy to use that our 8 year old uses it by himself.

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:06 AM »
agreed...The lowrance units are not a good starter unit..

i never used a fish finder a day in my life till i got it was really easy to learn i watched a video a guy had on here show the settings set and forget just hit enter to switch back and forth from graph to flasher mode and it has a menu button and it is easy to hit and find anything else whitch is pretty self explanatory.plusif u never used one it all going to be a learning experience for you and this way if u dont like a flasher u can stick with graph

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:54 AM »

So what do you recomend ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I don't think the guy wants to spend half of his time reading a menu, trying to figure out how much sensitivity to use or setting ping speed. He said he didn't want a "ton of features" in the electronics. I would recommend a VX-1 or Fl 8 also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:19 AM »
i never used a fish finder a day in my life till i got it was really easy to learn i watched a video a guy had on here show the settings set and forget just hit enter to switch back and forth from graph to flasher mode and it has a menu button and it is easy to hit and find anything else whitch is pretty self explanatory.plusif u never used one it all going to be a learning experience for you and this way if u dont like a flasher u can stick with graph

well, you are in the minority than.....There are always tons of threads on all webistes about how to use and adjust the lowrance units........Yet there are practically none about how to operate the regular flasher type.....So based on statistics people new to ice fishing electronics or even seasoned vets have issues with the lowrance unit.....Great units but not even close to as easy to use as the other type.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:24 AM »
So what do you recomend ?
Like stated, a Marcum VX-1 would fit your overall question best IMO. Most flashers are easy to use. The addition of a few buttons or knobs that add a few features isn't going to scamble your brain.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I don't think the guy wants to spend half of his time reading a menu, trying to figure out how much sensitivity to use or setting ping speed. He said he didn't want a "ton of features" in the electronics. I would recommend a VX-1 or Fl 8 also.
This what happened when I went with my buddy and his M68. He spent most of the time on his knees adjusting his settings instead of fishing. He never did seem to get them to his liking.

Offline Hawktique

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I really like the Humminbird Ice-45.  I personally have a Vexilar FL-22HD.  Guys I fish with regularly have a FL-18, FL-12, and the one with the Bird 45.  The bird's fiber optic lights are really nice, and the auto setting is about a easy as I've ever seen.  Also, the gain goes by settings 1-10?(not sure how high it goes) which makes set-up easy.  I'll probably be buying one for my son, and use it myself a little.  Also there is no interference on his bird while some of us will get minor interference with our Vex's close together.  I'm by no way saying its the best, but from my experience, a nice unit.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I got a showdown dual beam for my first ice machine. Long story short, I do not have it anymore. Then got an LX5,my first flasher.   I was also concerned with how easy it would be to use. Got to say its a piece of cake to learn how to use it. Have only had it out twice and am pretty confident I have it all figured out, did on the first trip but learned about fishing in weeds on the second trip. All in all its really easy to learn how to use one. There are just not that many adjustments, depth range,zoom and gain primarily.

It may have more features than you think you need, but as you get used to using it you find that they are pretty usefull. I say if cost is not a big issue go for the top of the line.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Thankyou all for your wealth of info ! Im not new to ice fishing, and spend alot of time in my boat, just never had a flasher.
Last summer I decided to go ahead and get a high dollar fishfinder for the boat. After using it for a few days, I was pulling my hair out, and didn't have any more walleye in the boat than I would have with my "simple to use" finder. I figured #1 (and most likley), I have no sense or interest when it comes to complex features and settings, or #2 I'm just not into spending my time messing around with diffrent settings, and would rather just fish. I think the  vx1 or FL8 sounds pretty good to me. Now if I can just find one for sale......

Thankyou again everyone

Offline 2Bstreamin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Just to date myself, I have a Mann's Bird Trap that was never marketed for ice fishing but is a great set-up for that. I woder if any are sold on e-bay?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:12 PM »
My wifes what you call a newbie to fishing, only beein in it about 5 years now, she has no problems running the LX-5 but hated the FL-18 I had gotten her before that. Now on the boat I love my HDS units but always have been a junky for boat electronics and tend to keep more or less top end units on there.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:16 PM »
I would recommend a marcum vx1 easy to use great features for the price.. it looks like all flashers are on sale right now if u do some searching around on thebig internet sites.... good luck with whatever unit u pick up..anything will help your catch rate  :tipup:

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:19 PM »
They cant get any simpler than the humminbird ice 45.  Not an over abundance of features, plus a solid unit.  Has an automatic setting so you can just put it down the hole and it automatically sets the column to fit the screen.  Easiest depth read out out with an lcd screen zoom any part of the column with the click of the button, and its a dual beam.  Judging by what you want in a flasher I would say this is the one.  I have seen all brands of flashers in use and they are all GREAT units, but I believe that the hbird 45 would be the best for your needs

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I would recommend a marcum vx1 easy to use great features for the price.. it looks like all flashers are on sale right now if u do some searching around on thebig internet sites.... good luck with whatever unit u pick up..anything will help your catch rate  :tipup:

Ditto on the VX-1 for simplicity...it doesn't get much easier...and it has some of the same features as the expensive models

Offline rjm123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:00 PM »
at the $300 dollar price point, which would be best if you`re looking for something simple, there is the humminbird ice-35, the vexilar fl-8, and the marcum vx-1. I own the bird and have used the vex. both are extremely easy to use, but the vex has the edge, because it has the least features and only 2 knobs to play with (gain and depth range/on/off). the other 2 have a few more features.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:07 PM »
But the Vex is the least usefull of the 3, old school vers new school the HB and Marcums are far ahead of what Vex offers, plus the 8 has no zoom.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2011, 03:32 AM »
But the Vex is the least usefull of the 3, old school vers new school the HB and Marcums are far ahead of what Vex offers, plus the 8 has no zoom.

agreed..Marcum  and HB are much better than the vex

Offline GaryF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Just fired up the HB for the first time, easy, easy, easy. The best part of the 45/55 series is just set it to auto and it will give you the depth and set the display for that depth by itself. The rest of it is just fine tuning. This is my first flasher and the learning curve was about 5 mins for me. THe wife sat here beside me and she even got how it worked. Love her to death but not the most techno savy girl around, lol.
Wanna go? Drop me a line!!

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Probably pulling the lid off a simmering pot here, I have a fl8, owned it for many years. I fish in 30' or less of water. Usually 15 or less. Guys around me have all the ones mentioned earlier in post except showdown (have not seen one on ice yet). I see nothing any better about their higher priced more sofisticated outfits that make it any better than my vex. Vex shows everything theirs does, I catch as many fish as them. I can see where zoom would be handy in deeper water. I think whatever kind you can afford would be good for general fishing. I like the cheaper route. Leaves me money for other equipment  Steve

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Just fired up the HB for the first time, easy, easy, easy. The best part of the 45/55 series is just set it to auto and it will give you the depth and set the display for that depth by itself. The rest of it is just fine tuning. This is my first flasher and the learning curve was about 5 mins for me. THe wife sat here beside me and she even got how it worked. Love her to death but not the most techno savy girl around, lol.

haha My fiacnce hate the flasher... She sets the hook everytime a fish comes up to the bait even if it doesnt bite. LOL. She gets way to excited.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:46 PM »
You're so full of it.  ::)

There are many many newbies to sonar, that took a brand new X67c out on the ice and used it without any problems. If a person can make a post here, a person has what it takes to use a X67c right out of the box in flasher mode.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.