Author Topic: I want a simple to use flasher, which one ?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
Re: I want a simple to use flasher, which one ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:36 PM »
You're so full of it.  ::)

There are many many newbies to sonar, that took a brand new X67c out on the ice and used it without any problems. If a person can make a post here, a person has what it takes to use a X67c right out of the box in flasher mode.

you better tell that to all the people on this site and all the other fishing site that are having problems tuning their units to work properly. How many people start threads like "how to get my vexilar to worK" or "help with adjustments on vexilar", ect......Telling a newbie to electronics to go the lowrance route is just leading them down the wrong path. Plain and simple.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:59 PM »
I've never run one, but the Showdown looks to be quite simple to interpret.

The HB is nice with the LCD to tell you what the true depth is.

I'm hoping for next season we'll see the HB 5 series become more ice friendly and HD.  That would be sweet!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:23 PM »
.So based on statistics

Which friggin statistics...lol
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Ok Gents,

I've made my mind up to get a Marcum VX 1-P. 
Knowing the circumstance were in as a country I've based my decision on Made in the USA.
I think it is an important thing to think about these days. I'm sure as suggested, any unit is a
good unit, holds a very true and valid point.

Thank you everybody for your input.

JY

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Ok Gents,

Knowing the circumstance were in as a country I've based my decision on Made in the USA.
I think it is an important thing to think about these days. I'm sure as suggested, any unit is a

JY

Good choice and one key reason that I chose Canvas Craft for my flip over shelter needs.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:18 PM »
You're so full of it.  ::)

There are many many newbies to sonar, that took a brand new X67c out on the ice and used it without any problems. If a person can make a post here, a person has what it takes to use a X67c right out of the box in flasher mode.
Whatever man, I've seen you post a thousand different replies for people looking for suggestions, settings, issues, etc. I've seen a ton on Michigan Sportsman and here and your reply is always "Don't use the flasher mode, use the graph mode." .........Then you have the settings for that.... I never said it was a bad unit I said it was the most difficult comparitively speaking. You like your X67 ...... we get it already. The original poster was looking for the easiest with few options. It's about ease here .........
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline jrtbaits

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wishin' i was fishin'
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:20 PM »
SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:52 PM »
There must be someway for me to  make it to home  ???plate.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Vex Fl-8 I learned to use it in 5 minutes,I fish panfish in 30 fow or less so the Fl-8 is all I've ever need. To each his own all the machines work,I like the Vex because it doesn't break period.All my 8 buddies have them and no service on any.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Sorry to burst the Vex won't break bubble but they are a machine with moving parts and will break and wear out in time. Yes they have been around for along long time but with todays competition they either need to step up and keep up of give up. Nothing new and innovating has come from them for along time they just keep making more add ons to get your money or make a new housing for the same old unit instead of improving what they have alread and what the competition has already done.

Sure they will show you fish but theres others on the market that do it better regardless of what anyone tells you, I didn't buy it either untill I opened my eyes and used them side by side...Only thing Vex has that I would like on my units is the night mode, other than that I don't care for them anymore and was at 1 time a faithfull user.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Ok Gents,

JY

Good choice. I love mine. I have the VX1 and just a few weeks ago bought a marcum 620 underwater camera and it works great! Its great to see other people making a stand and buying american made.....Good luck, you will love having a flasher!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:27 PM »

Which friggin statistics...lol

just look through a few website and see all the people asking for help on their 68s and 67s.....than you will have your statistics.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I have a Showdown and an older round screen Zercom flasher.  Both work great.  I took a buddy ice fishing last year who had never been ice fishing before or used a flasher.  After going over the operation of both units he asked if he could just use the Showdown as it was, at least to him, much easier to use for a newbie (sometimes I think he just suckered me).  He used it for 2 days straight and never once asked for help.  He figured out the zoom & sensitivity on his own and had a blast.  I can see why a vertical display is easier for a new person to understand as well. 
I'd go with the Showdown.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:58 AM »
just look through a few website and see all the people asking for help on their 68s and 67s.....than you will have your statistics.

Ahaaa...so thats how you gather statistics....wow...no wonder they are scrapping the census when alls you got to do to get accurate staistics is to 'just look through a few websites'.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Ok Gents,

JY

I am sure you will enjoy your Marcum.  Once you use a flasher, any flasher you will never be without one again. I can gaurantee you Marcum is NOT made in the USA. Maybe assembled here but I will gaurantee parts are shipped in from elsewhere. Nothing is made here anymore except our kids, And I am sure someday they will not have birthmarks anymore just MADE IN JAPAN stamped on thier butts

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I am sure you will enjoy your Marcum.  Once you use a flasher, any flasher you will never be without one again. I can gaurantee you Marcum is NOT made in the USA. Maybe assembled here but I will gaurantee parts are shipped in from elsewhere. Nothing is made here anymore except our kids, And I am sure someday they will not have birthmarks anymore just MADE IN JAPAN stamped on thier butts
Sorry, but your going to have to eat those words you typed! I guarantee that! This is MarCum, not Vexilar!  ;) http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/illinois-outdoors/2010/10/why-made-in-the-usa-matters-to-anglers.html

"No overseas middlemen yield fewer loopholes and a more direct route from manufacturer to consumer"

Great article and Great American product .....
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:05 PM »

What are you smoking?  Japan? 

The threat lies elsewhere my man...

Offline GaryF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Hate to burst your bubble, but the components are not manufactured in the US. There are no US electronics components manufacturers, the units are just assembled in the US. The resistors, caps, etc come from overseas.
Wanna go? Drop me a line!!

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I assume the units are assembled and tested in the US as has already been said. In the bag for my new LX5 there is this little tag thats sewed into one of the seams, it says Made in China.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:41 PM »
I looked all over all 3 of my Marcum units as well as the boxed they came in, no Chinese lables on any of my 3 boxes all say Made in the USA. From those I have talked to that have been in the Versa plant say they make everything in house, but the cover I can see being made outside the US. I think to make the claim Made in the USA a certain percentage of the components have to be made here.

What I found interesting while searching for US products was Toyota trucks were the highest percentage US components at over 90%, followed by GM at 80 something down to Dodge at just over 50%, Ford was upper 70%

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:56 PM »
As I understand it, a company cannot put a Made in the United States on a product unless every finished part is sourced in the United States.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:08 PM »
 I think to make the claim Made in the USA a certain percentage of the components have to be made here.

That could very well be the case, or maybe just being assembled here is enough ?  I saw on TV a while back a show on New Balance shoes, how they were the only major shoe maker that made their shoes in the US. I have two different pairs, both have Made in China labels in them. So what gives ? A little misleading advertising ? It maybe that only part of their products have to be made here to claim the Made in the USA ?

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:50 PM »

That could very well be the case, or maybe just being assembled here is enough ?  I saw on TV a while back a show on New Balance shoes, how they were the only major shoe maker that made their shoes in the US. I have two different pairs, both have Made in China labels in them. So what gives ? A little misleading advertising ? It maybe that only part of their products have to be made here to claim the Made in the USA ?

Only New Balances top of the line are still mad here I believe 25%.  If they made them all here we would not like the prices.  You most likely will not find their made in USA shoes at Kohls or JC Penney.  Here is a  link to their Made in The US shoes from their website.      http://www.shopnewbalance.com/information/madeinusa.asp

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline GaryF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:59 PM »
The Buy American Act requires that a product be manufactured in the U.S. of more than 50 percent U.S. parts to be considered Made in USA.

Thats what is required. No matter what any manufacturer wants to say, it would be buisness suicide to not get parts and pieces from outside the US. The sad reality is that they would price themselves right out of the market.
Wanna go? Drop me a line!!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Ahaaa...so thats how you gather statistics....wow...no wonder they are scrapping the census when alls you got to do to get accurate staistics is to 'just look through a few websites'.

hey Corky, You need hard numbers to realize that ALOT of new owners to the lowrnaces have issues with "tuning"?...Sorry if you are not bright enough to realize that just by paging through a few forums..........

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I get a kcik out of the guys trying to knock down marcum to vexilars level and say that they are "only" manufactured here..............What does vex do with their units in america other than sell them? not a whole lot. Designing ended years ago as the only thing that really changes on the flasher anymore are add ons............

They all work great so why not buy that one that is made in america and not by the japs?

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:06 AM »
I could care less where the flasher is made as long as it works well and is priced well. Japanese make an excellent product as does the US. I think the best bang for your buck is the Marcum VX-1 the Fl-8 and HB really lack in seperation for the price.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:17 AM »
I could care less where the flasher is made as long as it works well and is priced well. Japanese make an excellent product as does the US. I think the best bang for your buck is the Marcum VX-1 the Fl-8 and HB really lack in seperation for the price.

everyone should care where a product is made....incase you forgot unemployment in this country is soaring.....but hey, who cares! :'(

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:15 AM »
everyone should care where a product is made....incase you forgot unemployment in this country is soaring.....but hey, who cares! :'(

I don't think you could have said it any better. Ok so not 100 % of the components are made in the USA. It's putting food on the table for some American families, and that's what really counts.
The "WHO CARES" attitude is what has taken this country down in a lot of ways. Maybe for you that DON'T CARE, you should start.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:04 AM »
Bottom line does a Marcum,Vex,Showdown,Hummingbird or any other machine put more fish on the ice? YES if you KNOW how to fish and use your machine right,so just buy what you like because most people that ASK for advise don't really listen and buy what they want or can afford .These post turn into stupid battle about whats best and I have 3 Marcums and I have A Vex,and I have the greatest Hummingbird,I get sick of it when icemen fight over stupid things.Sometimes being a skilled fishermen is MORE important than the machine you use.Details the little things,a machine doesn't make a fishermen,it can help but not make you a great iceman.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.