Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay Ice  (Read 8377 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keweenaw Bay Ice
« on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Getting real excited for keweenaw bay. I heard from a little birdie that there is 3 shacks at the head of the bay by the red rocks. Can anyone clarify this?

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I've also heard rumors of guys fishing. The wind is pretty bad around here today but the next few days look very cold, things should be freezing up quickly :tipup:

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Up there today. Ice is not quite to the pump house and is mostly pack ice. There is nothing holding it in since it is loose by shore. Wouldnt be too surprised of its all gone soon..

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Did you fish it? If so, any action?

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:31 PM »
there where 3 guys fishing out from the willow today

Offline fishingmortician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:52 PM »
cha u betcha

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:03 PM »
4 tent out from the willow tonight at 4:30

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Where is the willow?  Is there good ice by the head of the bay or by the Baraga marina? 
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:30 AM »
The Willow is the parking spot next to the big willow tree at the head of the bay, right in between Baraga and L'anse. I have heard that there is ice to the marina in Baraga but from the sounds of it is pretty sketchy, don't head out there on a south wind thats for sure.

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I just got word that there is ice and guys fishing it at the head of the bay and on the L'anse side but there is open water by squaw beach down to the baraga marina. 
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I fished near indian country towards pequaming a little bit yesterday evening, nothing to show for it. Pack ice...5 inches in one spot and 2 inches in the next.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Went out by Lanse today, caught my first Salmon and a few herring.  Chase P had a nice steelie on but she spit the hook at the hole.  Great day on the ice!

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:05 PM »
How has everybody been doing down there?  Seems to be kinda slow the past few days.  Anybody seeing or catching anything?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:11 PM »
How has everybody been doing down there?  Seems to be kinda slow the past few days.  Anybody seeing or catching anything?
Have been down three or four times in the last week or so and it's been really slow.  Did better up on Huron Bay last Sat which was surprising before getting blown off. 
Chris Raymond

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Hmm...maybe I'll have to make the journey out there.  I've been enjoying trying all these new places.

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:38 AM »
I have never seen Keweenaw Bay fishing this slow, usually early ice is the best. Many people fishing relatively small area but still almost all people I talked to didn't catch anything.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I have never seen Keweenaw Bay fishing this slow, usually early ice is the best. Many people fishing relatively small area but still almost all people I talked to didn't catch anything.

Today was slow for me, but otherwise i've been getting into them pretty good!

Offline lovesmelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Caught 4 salmon and one herring by irenes pizza by the baraga state park today was a great day, yesterday i caught 2 Salmon and a whitefish even fishing has been really great for me, dont know why everyone else are doing so poorly great day today ;D

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I'm glad somebody's doing good out there.  I can normally dial in the herring and coho fairly well but this year has been perplexing for me...haven't even seen many cruising schools.  Hopefully, I'll get them dialed in sooner vs. later. 
Chris Raymond

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I caught two salmon sat. , they came in around 11:00 after most people had left around me, they were the only two I saw.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Is anyone catching any lakers? If so, how deep?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:01 AM »
If the line stays wet you can get them from 10-300ft!

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:00 PM »
SO WHERE IS EVERYONE CATCHING THE SALMON AT.  THERE IS ONE SHACK OUT IN FRONT OF THE STATE PARK, IS THIS WHERE THERE CATCHING THE SALMON? MY NEW TENT CAME TODAY AND WILL HEADING OUT SATURDAY. ANYONE ELSE FISHING OUT THERE SATURDAY? MAYBE WE COULD HOOK UP AND DO SOME FISHIN?

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:33 PM »
They(Coho) seem to scattered across the bay.  Most of the tents were on the L'anse side the last time I was out.I fished perch & smelt  at the head of the bay at the willow last Friday and missed one salmon and saw a school of herring. Going tomorrow to look at the ice by the lighthouse.  Hope the mush there Friday has hardened up enough to walk on.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Going tomorrow to look at the ice by the lighthouse.  Hope the mush there Friday has hardened up enough to walk on.

Walked on it today, but ruben told one of my buddies to stay off of it this morning. Personally, I would fish it.

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:46 AM »
Didn't get crap in Lanse in three tries since the ice came. Got one salmon at the willow one day. Got three salmon and two herring at the state park another day.

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:13 AM »
I agree with Sunup on the scatter theory, it seems like everyone is getting them everywhere on the bay and not really killing them just usually 1-2 a trip if you are targeting them, maybe seeing a few others that won't hit. Just head out to a spot, try to stay away from some people and set up in good looking water. I don't think anyone is getting any lakers yet, a few guys sat. looked like they were out in a 100fow or so sort of across from the lighthouse. Coming on from the L'anse side though. Lakers aren't really worth targeting until you can get out into deeper water, all I caught fishing lakers last year in the inner bay was small ones. Barely legal. This year I'm trying to get a big steelie on the ice!

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Anyone fishing the Bay this weekend?

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I'm fishing this weekend sometime, either sat am or sun am or both. I'll let ya know later this week when I figure it out and PM ya if ya wanna hook up. 99% sure I'll be fishing shallow.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:18 PM »
I'm fishing this weekend sometime, either sat am or sun am or both. I'll let ya know later this week when I figure it out and PM ya if ya wanna hook up. 99% sure I'll be fishing shallow.

I've been fishing shallow kbay most of the time this year, about 10x so far. Hit or miss, when its on its a blast! When its not, I just wanna try change the channel on the fish TV! Let us know how you do! I'll be deep tomorrow and this weekend most likely.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.