Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay Ice  (Read 8378 times)

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Ill be out there ..both days Saturday & Sunday  :o.."dont know how i pulled that one off ""...saturday ..you will find me straight out from Baraga Marina about 70-80fow  ;D...then I will decide where to go for sunday  ::)

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:26 PM »
they where off the Pump house and Jentoffs  on the L'ANSE side today.

Offline matt_fargo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Not catching? The problem is the people. Maybe that is why fishing was better for bmbiff at 11 after people left, and why lovesmelt and mark_steven are catching at the Park. Maybe noise doesn't bother fish on inland lakes where the water is murky and the fish are at the bottom in deeper water. But do you really think that a progression of people coming and going at all hours of the day with their machines and power augers, and even just walking, don't scare suspended fish in clear, shallow water?  The fish aren't stupid, but apparently humans are.

Offline lovesmelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:57 PM »
No, No, that only sounds like logic to me :)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Not catching? The problem is the people. Maybe that is why fishing was better for bmbiff at 11 after people left, and why lovesmelt and mark_steven are catching at the Park. Maybe noise doesn't bother fish on inland lakes where the water is murky and the fish are at the bottom in deeper water. But do you really think that a progression of people coming and going at all hours of the day with their machines and power augers, and even just walking, don't scare suspended fish in clear, shallow water?  The fish aren't stupid, but apparently humans are.

(Image removed from quote.)

Volumes of movement and noise do not seem to be any different than previous years.  For me, I'm suspecting the fish are shallower for some reason whereas I've been focusing more on places with mid-depths.  Or...it could be I'm not holding my mouth right...yeah, that's it.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:42 AM »
i have noticed over the years that movement and noise make a lot of difference on the ice in copper harbor.
da splake chaser

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Was I the only fool sitting on a bucket in this nasty wind? I couldn't get my pop up to hold in this wind so I plopped my bum on a bucket for 2 hours, came out with 1 burbot.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:26 PM »
If anyone one is interested I will be fishing in L'ANSE tomarrow out in front of the VFW. I drive a silver Durango and will be in a green tee pee tent, there will be a wooden sled with a green tote on it, if anyone wants to stop by and say hi. I plan on being there all day.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:23 PM »
How thick is the ice off of the VFW? How thick is it off Jentofts dock? Did the south wind yesterday blow any of the ice out?

Offline lovesmelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:30 PM »
ANY QUESTIONS

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:39 PM »
My permanent is on the ice straight out from the light house, stop in and say hey!

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:13 PM »
nailed them today at the pumphouse!!! 180 ft

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:24 PM »
fished out from VFW today from 8 am until 6 pm and caught one 16" herring seen 2 coho and a few herring, and one sucker. very slow. but didn't get skunked first time out in my new tent.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Must of been quite a ways from the pump house to find 180 foot of water!

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:14 PM »
.....180ft  ::) ...probally full of Bugs  ;D...Didnt your ole man teach you anything ?? ;D

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:02 PM »
.....180ft  ::) ...probally full of Bugs  ;D...Didnt your ole man teach you anything ?? ;D

OK, as someone who isn't totally knowledgable about lake trout fishing, I need something clarified. What do you mean full of bugs?

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Apparenlty millertime catches or should i say fishes in 250+ fow.. When fish are that deep they get little bugs on their skin (look like miny white lampreys). (also most fish are small 1-1.5 kbs)They are not in the meat or anything and will not hurt you.. I fish for lakers ALOT and very rarley go over 180 fow and almost never see them in fact out of the 70+ lakers this winter i have yet to see one..

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:18 PM »
I don't see many either until I put my glasses on to tie a knot; then the little leeches are all over the ice. ;D(smiley indicates a joke)  Glasses are such a pain but they make the fish look bigger so I put up with them.  Dave, you shouldn't joke about the 180' of water 'because you and I both know how good it can be and I  thank you again for that trip. ;)

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Ok .fellas ...first of all ...I posted that to give tapsboy alittle razzin ""Inside Joke "" ....& Paul  you are VERY RIGHT ..I had the best day of my life  & will probally NEVER have a day as good in 180 fow soooo  :icefish:

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:58 PM »
[/any size to them, I caught 32 lakers in 3 days and only 8 were over 15 inches, tried 120 ft- 195 ft. no difference in size, straight out from curwood quote]

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:16 PM »
My nephew was fishing off the lighthouse in Baraga saturday for herring , salmon, and lake trout. He put a full smelt on a  treble and lowered it to a foot off bottom, we usually pick up a laker or lawyer doing this, but what he caught surprised us all. At first his rod tip just barely moved, indicating a bite, he flipped the bail open and he watched line pulling out inch by inch, then it stopped, for a second, then that line started screaming off the reel, he set the hook, and fought this fish for 45 minutes, see i left him in shack by himself and i went out deeper for lakers, he said around 5 times he had this fish to the hole and couldnt get it through, when it was completly wore out, he put his gloves on and reached down behind its gill plate and jammed his fingers in and hoisted, threw the fish out onto the ice, and looked back down the hole, and said I hope their aint one bigger then that down there! The fish was a 38 in. 15 lb. northern, not common off lighthouse, but they have been caught their before, you just never know whats on the bottom waiting for you in Superior! A picture of the fish will be in this weeks sentinel!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Apparenlty millertime catches or should i say fishes in 250+ fow.. When fish are that deep they get little bugs on their skin (look like miny white lampreys). (also most fish are small 1-1.5 kbs)They are not in the meat or anything and will not hurt you.. I fish for lakers ALOT and very rarley go over 180 fow and almost never see them in fact out of the 70+ lakers this winter i have yet to see one..
[/qLast week I caught 2 lakers in 42 ft. real nice fish, 4 and 5 lbs. I was fishing for herring and salmon, these lakers were covered with these little worms, I have  noticed it really doesnt matter what depth you fish at, these worms are a parasite and like to cling to lakers, some have them some dont, I have fished for lakers 20 + yrs. and have always seen these on lakers. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF ANYONE DOING ANY GOOD OFF WHIRLIGIG? AND WHAT SHAPE IS THE ICE IN AFTER YESTERDAY? THE IN FRONT OF THE MISSION CRACKED UP A LITTLE AND HAD WATER COMING THROUGH, AND IT BUSTED UP TO INSIDE THE CARP RIVER YESTERDAY, IM JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE IS GETTING ANY 10 LBS OR BIGGER LAKERS YET, I KNOW USUALLY U HAVE TO GO OUT FURTHER, BUT IM JUST WONDERING?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:32 PM »
My nephew was fishing off the lighthouse in Baraga saturday for herring , salmon, and lake trout. He put a full smelt on a  treble and lowered it to a foot off bottom, we usually pick up a laker or lawyer doing this, but what he caught surprised us all. At first his rod tip just barely moved, indicating a bite, he flipped the bail open and he watched line pulling out inch by inch, then it stopped, for a second, then that line started screaming off the reel, he set the hook, and fought this fish for 45 minutes, see i left him in shack by himself and i went out deeper for lakers, he said around 5 times he had this fish to the hole and couldnt get it through, when it was completly wore out, he put his gloves on and reached down behind its gill plate and jammed his fingers in and hoisted, threw the fish out onto the ice, and looked back down the hole, and said I hope their aint one bigger then that down there! The fish was a 38 in. 15 lb. northern, not common off lighthouse, but they have been caught their before, you just never know whats on the bottom waiting for you in Superior! A picture of the fish will be in this weeks sentinel!

I believe that! Just like i was fishing this year at the mouth of the falls in about 10ft of water and within a half hour of each other i had 2 huge pike pull up to my lure. The first one i thought was huge, then the second one came in and she looked to be at least 40 inches!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #53 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I don't see many either until I put my glasses on to tie a knot; then the little leeches are all over the ice. ;D(smiley indicates a joke)  Glasses are such a pain but they make the fish look bigger so I put up with them.  Dave, you shouldn't joke about the 180' of water 'because you and I both know how good it can be and I  thank you again for that trip. ;)

What are those little bugs?  I've put them on my fingers and they've attached themselves to me with what seems like a little bit of a bite.  
Chris Raymond

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Tiny leeches.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:52 AM »
If they are the same thing I have seen on many of the lakers I don't think that they are leeches. They look like a small larval lamprey to me. They have the same sort of mouth as a lamprey. Has anyone ever asked the DNR what they are?

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:04 PM »
That awesome! Thats why I love fishing the big lake :thumbsup:

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:53 PM »
If they are the same thing I have seen on many of the lakers I don't think that they are leeches. They look like a small larval lamprey to me. They have the same sort of mouth as a lamprey. Has anyone ever asked the DNR what they are?
  That would have been my guess as well.  Have never seen them before fishing K-Bay. 
Chris Raymond

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I have asked conservation officers, they said they are just a fish parasite found in deeper colder waters, nothing to worry about, their not lampreys, lampreys hatch out in streams and are 2-3 inches long already when they hatch.Then they make their way into the big lake, I watched the tribe set traps for lamprey in local streams when i was younger. Do you know in one state they have a lamprey festival, they actually eat these, i think its minnesotta, not sure though. I know native americans used lamprey as a back up food source, but the info on great lakes says they were introduced in the 50s, if i recall it rite, mite have to look that up. Anyway i just wonder if these are any good eating!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Apparently the sentinel will put it nexts week paper, my nephew is bummed, wanted to see his fish in paper!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.