Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay Ice  (Read 8379 times)

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Tiny leeches.

Yuppers thats what they are more or less.....certainly not lamprey

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Well we should have a good layer of snow for banking tents and shacks in k-bay, got around 4 inches of snow today in baraga, and its still snowing, ice looked good from mission on in to the bay, wind hasnt bothered it, thats just looking driving by from 41, if you head out off mission still use caution, just in case, this fresh snow could make poor ice look good, but im looking forward to a good weekend of fishing.

Offline Menotyou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:35 AM »
so aboot that ice, has it been holding up to the wind?

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Hey Chris! Have you had your brother-in-law, Mark, out this year yet? Does he have a shelter to use to fish out on
K Bay? I've been thinking I should see if he wants to go out for some of the lakers.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Hey Chris! Have you had your brother-in-law, Mark, out this year yet? Does he have a shelter to use to fish out on
K Bay? I've been thinking I should see if he wants to go out for some of the lakers.

FU--Nope, he has an open invitation and a desire to go but hasn't made the time.  Even tried to line him up with a buddy that is selling a one man portable and no go.  I will cut him some slack though as it's his family's first year with a new business which I'm sure keeps him busy.   Haven't been able to get Tim S out either.  Their loss. 
Chris Raymond

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #65 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:59 PM »
The ice at the Mission is fine.  7 1/2" in the hole today.  Too much snow for easy walking; wish a snowmobile would pack me a trail. (hint-hint) I'm getting too old to play sled dog.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Sunup-was that you out in the lone tent this afternoon? Any luck? Dont worry, i know of alot guys heading that way this weekend with snomobiles! You should have a trail packed!

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Yes it was.  Started in 150' then went 200 when the wind died.  Caught 9 or 10; kept 2 eater leans.

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Nice fish Paul ...I have to take the weekend off off fishing ""Honey due list ""....Good luck out there & be safe ..BTW ....How far  out is the ice ? ...Or should I say How far out are guys fishin ? :icefish:

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Still open water from Carlas to Pequaming.  Haven't seen anyone North of the Mission yet;  all the wind is making people a little cautious I think.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Went out all day yesterday. I limited out on salmon in the morning plus 2 herring. My partner also caught 2 salmon and a herring and we missed quite a few. Went for lakers in the afternoon and he caught 3, one being a good size. Never had such a good day on the ice!

Offline eric711

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I was fishing with 988 and it was the best day Ive had in a long time.  We will be making more trips out there for sure.  What prompted me to post was the "bugs" discussion.  This was the first time I had fished KB and the first time I fished lakers thru the ice.  We where in 225 fow and had "bugs" on one of the lakers I caught.  So it seems either im lucky or they are a little more common then some people think on this board.  Thanks for taking me out 988 one of the best days ive had since I got hurt.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:09 AM »
The "bugs" have been on just about every laker I have caught out there in the bay. When I asked the question about them I didn't know if that was what people were refering to as bugs. The reason I don't think that they are leeches is that leeches do not have that round mouth that these have. Whatever they are, they are very prevalent out there. I haven't fished for lakers in less than about 240' so I wouldn't know if they show up in shallower fish or not. I'd still like to know exactly what they are.

Offline cohocoop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 11, 2011, 01:24 PM »
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites#external

Here is a link to start your investigation on the parasites. happy hunting and do not get to grossed out.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:36 PM »
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites#external

Here is a link to start your investigation on the parasites. happy hunting and do not get to grossed out.

Thanks! I had already looked at that site and didn't find anything that fit the parasites that we have. I emailed the address given on the site and will let everyone know if I find out anything.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Fished off mission today, 184 ft first, caught 7, kept three, at 1:00 p.m. moved to 260 ft. caught 3 more, kept 1, quit at 4:00 p.m., at each depth, no difference in size or quality of fish, ranged from 18-22 inches. Im heading back out tomorrow, see what happens!

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:19 PM »
I couldn't buy a fish today.  Couple hanging on for a touch but not a real bite all day.

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:55 PM »
we had two limits today ;D
fish were heavy coming up until all the bugs fell off

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:27 PM »
I think i'm finally getting a hold of this laker fishing. I got 17 lakers between saturday and sunday. Best days I've ever had in my 4th year of fishing the bay. And also giving sunup some credit for the helpful tips all along!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Sunday, fished 184 ft. again, between nephew and i , caught 14 fish, kept 8, had a real nice one on snapped my stinger hook off! Had a lot of fun, hoping to be back out tomorrow if wind isnt that strong!

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bugs
« Reply #80 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:40 PM »
I received a reply from Jeff Gunderson from UMD on the parasites found on the lakers in K. Bay. One of the pictures he sent me was of a fish leech and it looks like most of the little critters that fall off the trout when you land it. I stand corrected. I can't post the pics on here, not signed up for web photos, but if anyone wants I can forward his email with the pics.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Whats do you's think will happen with the ice this week with south winds and warm? Kind of a question for people that know kbay very well and have experienced this kind stuff while fishing.

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:57 AM »
the ice by the mission will most likely be gone. With the north wind breaking it up and now a south wind pushing it out. I wouldnt worry about squaw and the lighthouse. I dont think we will have the right winds to break all that up. But i would be careful.

Offline trailbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:52 AM »
Thanks tapsboy68. Will be heading up there this morning to go off the pumphouse if it looks ok.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:35 AM »
The ice in front of mission is busted up and just floating their, if south wind gets any stronger it will join the 1/2 mile of ice that went out over nite, ice was almost to carp river, now it ends just past mission, without colder temps to tighten it back up, i wouldnt recommend trying off of mission, still people fishing off of whirligig though!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:41 PM »
WOWZERS..............p eople going north of Sand Point better bring life jackets, waterproof cell phones, and waterproof GPS.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Pretty slow day out there...chasep caught one I didn't get anything.  Not even sure of any bites!

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Snuck out in shallow water today after school for the last 3 hrs of the day, ended up getting a salmon within the first five min. then didn't see anything else after that, still at least a foot of good ice where I was at.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.