The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: sunken shanty  (Read 7313 times)

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
sunken shanty
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:21 AM »
a buddys shanty went through anyone know if you have to get it out and how long do you have to get it out

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sunken shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:37 AM »
lets hope he forgot to put his name on it

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:41 AM »
More structure for the lake!  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:47 AM »
his name was on it but he tore it off  and yeah i was thinking more structure also lol  but the problem is it didnt sink all the way there is still about 12 inches of one corner sticking out and we tried to sink it the rest of the way but couldnt

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Get out the gps and mark the spot. You will need to know just where to fish next spring.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Get out the gps and mark the spot. You will need to know just where to fish next spring.
lol already did that anyone know how much trouble you can get in if we cant get it out

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:55 AM »
You should pull it out if there's anything that will contaminate the lake in it. If not some might use a cordless sawzall to cut a hole in the roof and throw some cinder blocks in it, but that would be wrong ;).

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:55 AM »
a buddys shanty went through anyone know if you have to get it out and how long do you have to get it out

Yes, he is responsible to get it out.  I am not sure how long he has or if he can wait till spring.
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:04 AM »
You should pull it out if there's anything that will contaminate the lake in it. If not some might use a cordless sawzall to cut a hole in the roof and throw some cinder blocks in it, but that would be wrong ;).
theres nothing in it to contaminate the lake and we are going to try and get it out but i dont think it will come out very easy

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:08 PM »
chainsaw any tow starps. dont forget to mark the hole so nobody gets hurt in it.

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:40 PM »
its usually 7 days with contaminents 30 days without and if he dont get it out the dnr will hire someone to get it out and send him the bill and a fine for not getting it out himself if his name is not on it and his address is not on it dont worry about it

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:50 PM »
dont quot me on the lengths thats what it was when our four wheeler went threw almost 15 years ago

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Who do you even contact when a quad or sled goes through? If the ice was too thin for it, I wouldn't think it would be any safer in 7 days for a vehicle to come out to tow it out?

So the quad didn't float like some claim them to do?

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Some quads will float upside down. Most of the larger ones are not going to float. Depends on tire size and weight.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:35 PM »
I need a shanty. So where exactly did your friends shanty sink?  ;D
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:28 PM »
I need a shanty. So where exactly did your friends shanty sink?  ;D
eastbay hubbard lake brand new 6x8 with a nice woodstove  ;D ;D

Offline pinckneyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »
 Please try and get it out when the ice is safe. If the DNR has to remove it and they can't contact the owner than it costs all of us for the removal. Money that could have been used to plant some fish somewhere maybe. Lost one once. Had to wait until spring to pull it apart after it floated across the lake.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:55 PM »
If the lake is used in the soft water for skiing, boating or PWC use and it is near the surface where prop damage or personal injury could result, you better get it out of there.  If someone would hit that corner just at or below the surface while skiing or tubing they could get hurt or killed.  I don't think either of you want that hanging over your head.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:03 PM »
If the lake is used in the soft water for skiing, boating or PWC use and it is near the surface where prop damage or personal injury could result, you better get it out of there.  If someone would hit that corner just at or below the surface while skiing or tubing they could get hurt or killed.  I don't think either of you want that hanging over your head.
just like i said before we will try to get it out or we will get it in the spring

Offline larmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:15 PM »
how is the fishing on hubbard i am luckless on cedar....

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:28 PM »
well lol other than shanty fishing we have been doing very good bringing home 6 or 7 on average between 2 or 3 guys over a couple hours

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Whats wrong with doing the right thing? No cinder blocks, no structure, no excuses. How bout getting a couple guys, some ropes and a chain saw and just man up to it? These are the slobs you read about.

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I ruined 2 props last year in bass tournaments due to the carelessness of IDIOTS that thought it would be better "structure" for the lake and to leave it. I found there name on it and they got a hefty fine! Due to the rain a smart person would get the shanty off the ice, until the refreeze. Sorry about Ur pals luck but I would get it out. And what if someone decided to take a dive off there boat right into the shanty?  R u the guys that leave trash all over after fishing too? Be a grown man and get it done. Let's hope that a snowmobile doesn't hit the corner sticking out!

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Love the android phone-snap a picture of the sinking shanty with the name still on it then send it off to the DNR. EVERYTIME!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Well, two years ago my 4' x 4.5' (brick poop house though, 400 lbs.) shanty went down about 3/4  of the way during a 2 day warm up with 6" of ice. Got the shanty out luckily and just played it safe from there on out anytime we get RAIN and WIND. Warm weather does not affect ice too much in a three or four day period. It's the wind driven warm rainfall that will open a hole the size of a skoal can one day to a basketball the next.  Threw together a 6' x 8' ourselves, my dad and I this year and have over $500.00 bucks invested into it. We were on the lake Friday and pushed the shanty to shore ice away from the hole.  Don't want to take any chances and it's only a half hours work to get it off the lake. Put it back out today, everything locked up tight and only lost one inch of the snow/ white ice from 11" total.  I'd say get the darn thing outta there for a: It's a dang shanty with money, time and pride into it and b: It's your responsibility. Now come on, with a little ingenuity and a lot of beers, that shanty will be dry on ice before no time. It was in my circumstance. :nono:
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:08 PM »
2 aluminum ladders on each side and some planks for the legs of a swing set.

Then attach a pulley to the top and pull it up. Then you can slide the ladders under the shack and pull it away.

The ladders work really well with some 2 x planks for working off if the ice is still sketchy around the shack.  Water depth will have a big effect on how wet you will get. Just be safe and if there is a local Volunteer Fire dept i would get them to assist the operation.  They will help and a donation would be worth the help.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:11 PM »
2 aluminum ladders on each side and some planks for the legs of a swing set.

Then attach a pulley to the top and pull it up. Then you can slide the ladders under the shack and pull it away.

The ladders work really well with some 2 x planks for working off if the ice is still sketchy around the shack.  Water depth will have a big effect on how wet you will get. Just be safe and if there is a local Volunteer Fire dept i would get them to assist the operation.  They will help and a donation would be worth the help.
  :)
We used a bunch of 12 ft 2x 4's and some nylon rope. I definitely like the idea above though. Chain fall would work great. Wouldn't have to pull all that weight.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Light the match.LOL
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:28 PM »
And burn eight inches of the shanty? ??? What about the remainder??? I'd put at least an effort into retrieving it! I've obtained a permanent shanty and a Strike Zone portable through the ice from someone else's lack of responsibility.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:37 PM »
hey toad and walleye wacker as i already said before we are going to try and retrieve it and if we cant i already gps it and we are going to take some barrels with us to tie it to and pull it to shore in the spring and No we are not the a holes that leave garbage all over the ice but thanks for passing a little judgement our way and the hole is marked by 4 christmas trees so i think the snowmobilers will be ok

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.