Author Topic: showdown flasher  (Read 10239 times)

Offline imajigger

• IceShanty Rookie
showdown flasher
« on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:20 PM »
its in the mail, cant wait to get it. does anyone have one, let me know how it works

Offline galvman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: showdown flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I've heard a lot of bad things about them on this site. One of those being that you can't fish too close to someone else that's using any other sonar device.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Showdown is not a flasher....it is a LCD display, hence the heater function to keep it warm enough so the pixels show right in cold weather.  Marcum and Vexilar's are flashers.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:05 PM »
I'm looking to get a second one, got to grandson's keep taking mine when I turn my head, which one I don't know for sure.
Seen a guy on the ice 3 days ago with a Hummingbird, looked and worked good and not a bad price.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:07 PM »
First of all Marcum markets the Showdown, hence their name all over the product. Next is that really necessary to correct the guy to what is a flasher and what is not? I think he knows what he bought. If he wants to call it a flasher, so be it. I think he knows what kind of display it has. Lets not nitpick guys, he was just looking for some experience on his new purchase, which he is probably kinda looking forward to. Really!

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline Bubba59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:07 PM »
I have one and it works great never had any problems even in a shanty with a vex right next to it. The vex needed a little adjusting. I think you will like it and catch more fish.

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I have the Ice Troller. Works great. Buddies have various FLASHERS. Mostly Vex. They both find fish. I like the portability and look of the Showdown and Ice Troller. My opinion.

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline fishyeager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:22 PM »
My son has a Showdown and loves it. I have a Vex and love it. He usually catches more fish than I do, although he caught more fish than I did when we had no electronics. I think you will be happy with your new toy - enjoy.

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Bought a Showdown LCD and used it all season last year.  I like it.  Learn how to use it properly, get some experience, and you'll like it too.  Don't listen too hard to anybody about any unit, one way or the other, unless they have used one for some time.  Read the book, practice, be happy, and go catch some fish.  I started with a green box, then my old Ray Jeff and others since then.
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Showdown is not a flasher....it is a LCD display, hence the heater function to keep it warm enough so the pixels show right in cold weather.  Marcum and Vexilar's are flashers.
With you on this the showdowns will not work near as good on ice as a flasher it is just an LCD like you use in a boat and is a waste of $350. You will not be able to pick out fish, baitfish, your lure, weeds and structure, or the bottom nearly as good as a flasher.  I would return it and get a real flasher for $50 cheaper.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:15 AM »
With you on this the showdowns will not work near as good on ice as a flasher it is just an LCD like you use in a boat and is a waste of $350. You will not be able to pick out fish, baitfish, your lure, weeds and structure, or the bottom nearly as good as a flasher.  I would return it and get a real flasher for $50 cheaper.

So does that mean that you believe the lowrance x67c is also a waste of money? I've been looking at lcd models as well as the humminbird ice 55.  Have you used any lcd models yourself or where do you get your information from?  I am looking for product reviews.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:32 PM »
So does that mean that you believe the Lowrance x67c is also a waste of money? I've been looking at LCD models as well as the humminbird ice 55.  Have you used any LCD models yourself or where do you get your information from?  I am looking for product reviews.
I have not used an LCD model myself but I know people that do have them and a flasher works a lot better.  You can see your lure better and the fish and where they are in the water column.  They also get interference rejection and color.  If the Humminbird Ice 55 is the one that also has a flasher mode built in it should work ok but I would still get a real flasher because it has interference rejection and I don't think the LCDs do.  Some people are happy with their LCDs but most have not used a real flasher.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:42 PM »
I've got 2 seperate parameters to adjust interference on my humminbird!   Works flawless with no interference while my buddys vex and my other buddies marcum have interference in the same shack!

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:53 PM »
I have not used an LCD model myself but I know people that do have them and a flasher works a lot better.  You can see your lure better and the fish and where they are in the water column.  They also get interference rejection and color.  If the Humminbird Ice 55 is the one that also has a flasher mode built in it should work ok but I would still get a real flasher because it has interference rejection and I don't think the LCDs do.  Some people are happy with their LCDs but most have not used a real flasher.

Sorry but a flasher does not work better then a X67c...  They both work but an X67 has many more useful modes then a flasher. I've used both and would never buy a flasher over an X67.

Offline danbfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I agree. I have a lowrance 68c and absolutely love it. You can pick up your lure and fish etc., very easily.
I have a friend that switched from a vex to a 67c, and says hands down better unit. I believe you can't go wrong with any of the new units, they all have thier advantages.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:06 PM »
All the info you could ever need, and some B/S  ;)
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Offline craig mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I have a showdown and to be honest I'm not impressed. Its one of the earlier units so maybe thats why it performs so poorly. Too much interferance and very rarely gives a true depth reading (the number at the bottom). That being said I did catch fish with it and its better than nothing but I upgraded to a x67c.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:13 AM »
I bought one this year and I love it. Fished next to a vex and a hummingbird and no interfering at all.  I can tell my lure from fish and strucure.  The zoom feature works great.  Guys I fish with also really like it. You will be happy with it. It is worth the money and a great buy. Also the battery life is awesome.

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Have one love it, Best out there, as for the fuse thing never blew a fuse in 2 years, but always carry a spare just in case.

As for the arm breaking mine has broke what I did is drilled a hole in the arm that broke and put a screw in it and now it will never break, you can always do the foam option as well.

Sent mine for the upgrade can't wait to get out there....

How do you add pics and I will post it if you guys want.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:59 PM »
"I would still get a real flasher because it has interference rejection and I don't think the LCDs do"

Actually the Showdown has interference rejection.  I owned one for 2 years and liked it, I fished next to Fl-8's and Fl-18's and we could always get rid of the interfence from both units.  It is a really nice piece of equipment and it will catch you fish same as a flasher (no matter what some people on here will tell you).   The new 5.6 software upgrade would be sweet if I still had one, I sold it to get the $300 deal from Reeds on a LX-5.  I wish I would have kept it as I really didn't need the money and am now kicking myself for not keeping it, now I'm looking at buying one of the Showdown trollers for my spare unit and for friends that don't have a locater that fish with me.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I also have not blown a fuse,but time will tell. Have not heard of the arms breaking, but I guess I could see how the could.  I personally do not use my arm much at all. I really like the showdown also like vexilar and hummingbird all good units. They all will improve your fishing.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:58 PM »
i will stick with my vex.

Offline crawny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How Ya Hittin'Em Fishing club
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:34 PM »
ordered on for Xmas cant wait to get it see alot of pros and cons on them but feel i made a good choice. if anyone has  any tips on using it lets here them this is my first one had an under water camera and am not happy with it

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:07 AM »
.....don't mean to start any waves with the experts, but the Showdown 5.6 has interference rejection, has 10 settings and works very well.  Thank you.....
NRA Life Member

Offline TeikasDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:55 PM »
This is the third season for mine.  I was more than pleased with it.  I like the vertical display and the sensitivity of the unit.  I can tell the difference between my lure, the weight on the line and even the swivel.  I use mine while setting up my tip-ups.  Rather than using a sounding line I just carry the Showdown along with me, dip it into the hole and set my line.  I can set the bait at the exact depth I want every time.  I sent mine back in last year to get the software update.  Real quick turnaround on the update.  I've fished next to Vex and Marcum flashers and never got any interference, so that claim about interference from other units just isn't true...at least with new or units with updated software.

It's like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge....If you drive a F150 it's the best truck in the world and everything else sucks....unless you drive a Chevy, then everything else sucks....unless you drive a Dodge, then everything else sucks.  It's your money, if you are happy with your unit and you are successful fishing with it then the only person who's opinion matters is you.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

[img width=200 height=80]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/Trooper-Bri/CTlogofinal2.jpg?t=1228

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Wondering if anybody is having trouble with ice on the base of the 5.6 neop. case.
Mine froze to the lake today, and there was 1/2 inch of ice inside the case.  I did have the "ice" mode on and it was VERY cold.
Still worked perfect all day, that is one nice unit.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Yep mine freezes to the ice. I just pull it out of the case and let it dry when I get home. The case is pretty sturdy too. Best thing to do is actually take a small piece of styrofoam insulation or a piece of plywood and put the Showdown on that. Tried it a couple of times but keep losing the stuff.

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Sounds good, cut  a piece of 2" pink foam for next time out. That probally will blow away on the lake ;D ;D ;D
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Yep mine freezes to the ice. I just pull it out of the case and let it dry when I get home. The case is pretty sturdy too. Best thing to do is actually take a small piece of styrofoam insulation or a piece of plywood and put the Showdown on that. Tried it a couple of times but keep losing the stuff.

I wrap the batteries in that white dense packing material that comes in sheets 3/8" to 1/2" thick.  And I never set any electronics directly on the ice, except for a couple minutes at a time.  You could try spraying silicone or pam on the base.
NRA Life Member

Offline jakedrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I used both a vexilar fl8 and fl 12 and liked them.   I got the showdown 5.6.    Price was good and it works great!  I would recommend it to anyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.