Author Topic: showdown flasher  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Baero

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: showdown flasher
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Just used my Showdown 5.6 for the first time tonight.  It worked really well, was able to see lure and splitshot separation with no problems, also caught all the bubbles coming up,  I had the sensitivity pretty high.  Saw the perch come off the bottom and felt the hit right as the marks came together.  So far I am happy with this unit. The zoom feature works really well also.

Offline Baero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Went out again tonight and fished with a buddy that had a Vexilar 8se. We were in a 2 man flipover, so 3 feet apart. Initial startup there was interference but used the noise feature and took care of it.  Both worked just fine.

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I am on a budget, so I recently purchased a Showdown Ice Troller.  I built my own "box" for it out of wood and set it on the ice near my hole like any other unit.  I typically fish in 20 feet of water or less.  It has been great to fish with- no problem seeing my jig, being able to tell bottom structure, and of course see fish.  As a matter of fact, I caught close to 30 fish on a lake I have never caught more than 6.  I guess it could have been luck, but this unit helped a ton and I can't remember the last time I had that much fun ice fishing.  I think you will be happy with your purchase.

pannyjigger.

Offline jakedrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I got some more use these few days out of my showdown.     I figured out the zoom feature and man that is cool. 

I added two things to mine.    I put a piece of foam on the cable so I can just drop that down the hole.     Also I took a piece of rubber mat and cut it to fit on the bottom of the case.  That way it isnt sitting the snow.   It has the 4 little holes on the bottom so I just ran a zip tie through them. 

So far everyone I showed it to loves it and wants one.  Few vexilar guys say it is easier to read then their units.  ( not turning this into a vexilar deabte, I like them too)

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Happy new year, Woohoo, To my surprise yesterday UPS sent my unit back to me,

All I got say is wow, what a fast turnaround sent it in on the 21st got it back the 31st, and thats from Toronto.

They replaced the faceplate to the new Showdown Crystal quick display awesome. Can't wait to get out there and do some fishing.

As for the unit being on the ice I use a small paint tray you can get from the dollar store and put it on top of that to keep it off the ice.

Also was trying to locate the manual in pdf for the new 5.6 features anybody have it?

Offline crawny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How Ya Hittin'Em Fishing club
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:19 PM »
TOTALY AGREE I LOVE MY SHOWDOWN. FISHED ALL WEEKEND WITH IT AND REALLY HOOKED IN TO SOME NICE FISH CANNT WAIT TO USE IT AGAIN SO MUCH FUNN JIGGING WITH IT  :tipup:

Offline jakedrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:17 PM »
llcool=  that is great to hear about the customer service!

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Got out yesterday for some perch action,

Update on the showdown 5.6 awesome upgrade. was fishing in my hut with a buddy with the vexilar was getting a little noise, set the noise to 1 and bam clear screen, last year without the upgrade had to set the noise a lot higher then but still would see the little glitches.. we were about 3 feet apart in 20 fow.
Dam those vexilars are noisy,hissing sound.

Zoom feature 1 foot zooms are great, at any part of the column was cool. 

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I used my upgraded VPG/5.6 for 5 days next to a FL8. no issues with either unit. Wifes likes the color and I like the gray scale. With my old battery in the 5.6 i had the noise on #5. I also love the zoom anywhere in the water column.

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Hey XCR,

Do happen to have the manual on the new upgrade features, just wanna have them for reference. and to uderstand the Auto zoom features and Auto bottom Lock.

Thanks

LL

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:56 PM »
No. I never got anything when I did the upgrade. Have you checked out the website?? there was a video on there.

Offline Baero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Just another update, fished 3 feet from a new Hummingbird 55.  Absolutely no issues, both tracked the fish equally well.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Mine work's good, never had any problems with it in cold weather/around other unit's. I did have a problem where one of the buttons wouldn't work, but sent it back and they fixed it and returned it in no time at all.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:12 AM »
I love my showdown. The only problems I have had are, broke off the arm, and lost the rubber stopper. As far as freezing to the ice, I use a kitty litter bucket with a split top on it. The showdown sits on the back half of the lid, and I put fish in the front part. Keeps the unit dry, and keeps my fish bucket handy.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I don't use the arm. I use a vex float with the stopper.

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Update on the Showdown 5.6, Fished with a marcum LX-5, 3 Feet apart in 9 fow no more noise from the unit will have to wait till we get to deeper waters.

But last year without the upgrade couldn't fish too close to the marcum what a difference... Interference rejection definately alot better only had it set to 1.

Love the showdown Simple Quiet and accurate...

Offline AEffling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I just got mine and love it ;D Quiet, portable, and is fun to use
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."-John Wayne

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:34 AM »
I fish in mostly 3-12 FOW (rarely 20+)does the troller or any flasher work great in these conditions>?

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Was in 9 FOW with no problems. was zooming in on the bottom  4 - 9 crappeis were all along the bottom....

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I fish in mostly 3-12 FOW (rarely 20+)does the troller or any flasher work great in these conditions>?

I have a Troller and I must say that I wish that I had the zoom. Fished the other day(24 inches of ice and only 7 feet of water).Had transducer at bottom of ice so showed 7 feet on the Troller. The smallest screen increment is 20 feet so I was looking at the top 1/3 of the screen. Still seen fish but zoom would be nice. Still like the Troller. I cannot beleive how long it lasts on 6 duracells. I have at least 20 hours on them(what the book says they should last).

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline jakedrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:03 PM »
I used my showdown 5.6 in  5 feet of water and worked.   (of course I moved as there was no fish down there :) )

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I'm going on the forth year with mine and I really like it. Nice and simple, especially when your hole hopping. My only complaint is that the buttons aren't back light. That make it a little tricky to operate in the dark until you memorize what button does what.

Is the 5.6 software upgrade worth it???

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I'm going on the forth year with mine and I really like it. Nice and simple, especially when your hole hopping. My only complaint is that the buttons aren't back light. That make it a little tricky to operate in the dark until you memorize what button does what.

For me it was worth the upgrade, as I was always fishing with my buddys who have a vex and a Marcum... and definately helped knock them out, as for the features of the new 5.6 software with 1 foot zooms at any part of the water column, and the auto bottom lock, and auto zooms there nice features to have but didn't have a problem with the old software as it worked well too.. Little indicaters on the side of the lcd to show you the exact depth where fish are but you can still do that with the old software... The new faceplate they put on makes it like the new ones as I had the VPG face plate... for 50 bucks + shipping was worth it for me,  Like I said in an earlier post the turnaround was fast, i would wait till the next ice season to upgrade though if I was you, so you don't lose out on about a week and half of waiting. my 2c.

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:56 PM »
What about the surface clutter? Does the 5.6 upgrade help any with that?

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:34 PM »
None, gone with the upgrade......

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Fished for the first time with my new 5.6 dual beam today. we were in six and  half feet of water sight fishing and I know i didnt need it cuz i could see the fish but had to try it out. The zoom worked great locked in on the 5 foot mark to bottom and the target separation was great. i had a 2.5mm fiska on with two spikes and let it set on the bottom and  moved the jig up slowly started to see i rise off the bottom as soo as i passed the 1/4 inch mark on the rod tip. As far as telling when a fish is on yor jig the line would go from a grey line for my jig and when the fish was on it it would turn to a wide black bar. was awesome totally a cool unit. Sensitivity was excellent could dial it right in to pick up that 2.5mm fiska without any bait on it i woud recomend it to pp easy to use and understand simple to read and does that same thing a vex or other flashe does and just as good too.

Offline fishmastaZERO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:38 AM »
Do they do the upgrades on the vpg cause I jus got one brand new from a couple years ago only paid 150 for it
If you smoke it they will come

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:47 AM »

.....the 5.6 upgrade fixed this problem.....
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Do they do the upgrades on the vpg cause I jus got one brand new from a couple years ago only paid 150 for it
Yes. I had a VPG 2.0 and they upgraded it to a 5.6 for $56

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:33 PM »
For me it was worth the upgrade, as I was always fishing with my buddys who have a vex and a Marcum... and definately helped knock them out, as for the features of the new 5.6 software with 1 foot zooms at any part of the water column, and the auto bottom lock, and auto zooms there nice features to have but didn't have a problem with the old software as it worked well too.. Little indicaters on the side of the lcd to show you the exact depth where fish are but you can still do that with the old software... The new faceplate they put on makes it like the new ones as I had the VPG face plate... for 50 bucks + shipping was worth it for me,  Like I said in an earlier post the turnaround was fast, i would wait till the next ice season to upgrade though if I was you, so you don't lose out on about a week and half of waiting. my 2c.

I would agree with all of LLCOOL's comments. The 5.6 upgrade was $50 well spent in my opinion, especially the 1' adjustable zoom and no more surface clutter.
Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.