Author Topic: Northern Sask  (Read 13985 times)

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern Sask
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Was wondering where ya went out there..was the northern a good size? Happy fishing!!

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Hello polarbehr  ,I was not acutally out there myself today,Im working nights ,so when I got home took the wife and her parents out and got them set up and went back to the cabin for a sleep. We go on at Bloomfields Resort and drove the the Ballantyne River mouth. takes about 25 minutes on the ice,good road. The northerns are around 2-4 lbs,no big but good eaters. Walleyes were biting today and afew Perch. Keep posted for more info on Deschambault lake and they will likey go to Limestone for some Northern tomorrow.

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Hey I was just wondering how the bite for walleye has been on limestone, deschambault or Jan. 

Offline nesaskfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Militia,

Have you caught walleye on Jan in the winter?  Or anyone else for that matter.

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I've never fished Jan in the winter, I work at three lakes camp and guide during the spring/summer months.  I've talked with some of the locals in Pelican Narrows and they've said that the fishing can be quite good in the winter I also talked with a family friend who is a CO stationed in Pelican and he said that the walleye and perch fishing is really good.  Ive heard horror stories about guys going through the ice with sleds near the first and second narrows due to the current.  However Ive always thought that around McMillan point or Jim and Ed's Island or maybe up in Otter Narrows could be very productive during the winter.  It doesnt sound like Jan is very popular in the winter and just interested if anyone had fished it lately.

Offline nesaskfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:08 AM »
They are there somewhere but seem very hard to find.  We have tried to find them in the winter for probably 15 years and have had no success.  I have sledded to Pelican and Deschambeau and not seen a single fisherman.  If you hear something different I am very interested.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:46 AM »
x2 over here. I fish Jan every year and we have talked about going durring the winter for years now. Hows the ice around the islands? I thought it might be a little sketchy amongst the islands too with current.

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:57 AM »
had a buddy at Desc. on weekend. Froze his ass off but said he caught pike on Limestone and heard the fishing was decent on Ballentyne for 'eyes. never heard what is happening on Oskikbuk or what the trail condition is like over there. anyone know if the sled trail across is good and if people are fishing\catching on Merrit\Oskikibuk? how is the truck trail on lake as well?

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:33 AM »
Well went out Friday to Deschambault...Caught some eyes jus off of Williams,,headed back for the evening..Sat. morning hooked up to the shack and headed up the lake bout 18kms..set up got the fire goin and holy smokes..couldnt keep the eyes off the hooks..insane..never had fishing like that before..pulled a 10lbs burbot out..scared the heck outta the girls lol For 6hrs straight someone was pulling a fish out..Sunday morning samething..if not better ..not sure if the other guys will chime in about Deschambault this weekend but I know a we were about 500yds from another group, some came inbetween us an barely caught any while the other group did as well as us. Great service this time around at Bloomfields...Cabins were in tip top sure makes it nice when ya come off the ice an ur cabins all warmed up n u can relax..Awesome job Gary n crew..we'll be back soon :icefish: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..lol thats my rating of this weekend

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Has any one been out fishing on devils lake off of limestone?

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Was out on Limestone today and didnot make it to the fishing hole, the snow got the best of us, to deep to make it. Little bit of slush near shore. I heard that Gary at Bloomfields is going to plow a road across to the walleye  holes. Will keep you updated... very warm weather the 4 days, snow is slowly dropping and this will help the travel a little..Stay posted

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Went out this weekend..was hot walleye fishing but a real chore to get to where we wanted to be..Gary plowed a road but by sunday morning it covered back up so it took almost a full tank of gas to get to where we left the hut...some slushy spots but over-all a good trip again.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Well, This is a first for my eyes and alot of other fishermen at Deschambault Lake on the Ballantyne Bay. This lucky fishermen from Southey,SK. Fought this monster to the surface. The measurement on this Northern Pike is 43 inches long and 22 inches at the girth. The scale they had at the time read 28 lbs. He was very glad he was using 30lb test line as his rod and reel started to come apart as the monster started to run after setting the hook. This will be a fishing trip he will never forget and has a fish of a life time.

[img][/img

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I will post a picture as soon as I can Figure it out, Anyone with info on attaching pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:10 PM »
I pm'd you instructions, maybe these instructions are better, I think we all really want to see this pig
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=141955.0

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:20 PM »
OK here is the Northern Pike

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:09 AM »
Beauty fish.  Serious girth.  Looks to be about 43"?  Is he getting it mounted?

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Hi, thanks for the instructions for pics.!!  22 in. at the girth, 43 long & 28lbs.  He better, lol, we all told him too, i'm sure he is!!

Offline Runs like new

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Was that pike caught on a tipup?  I am heading up to Deschambault this week, any tips on bait or hook setup?

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:58 PM »
No, he was using a cheap plastic ice fishing rod and when he bite, it started to come apart and ended up bringing it in hand over hand. He was using a small minnow for bait. Tight squeeze to come out of 8 inch hole. All the best on the weekend maybe see you out there..

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Hows the fishing been on limestone? Heading up there this weekend.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Sweet Monster Pike!!

Good story too...

Thanks for sharing ashcol...

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:44 PM »
its my avatars lil brother lol

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Not sure about limestone,got stuck the last time i went there. On my way to Oskikebuk tomorrow and then the Ballantyne on Saturday, will let you know how that was...

Offline HardWater731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:42 AM »
We hit Oskikebuk last year and had a great time.  A couple of us have been following this thread closely and are getting pretty pumped b/c we're heading back up there in a couple weeks - we'd really appreciate any news you have about the trail and ice conditions (slush, ice bridges etc).  Thanks for the great posts Ashcol.

Offline Runs like new

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:34 AM »
That's a pretty sweet story. Will be heading up tomorrow and fishing oskikibuk Friday. If you see a couple sleds and some red pop ups, stop by.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:12 PM »
was into oskikebuk yesterday and the trail is somewhat rough, take your time.  Walleye fishing was excellent and ended the day with an 18 pound pike on a tip up. No flood water, have fun.  where do you guys stay when you come up here?

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Ashcol I heard that there was a big dump of snow up there today how are the road conditions and trail conditions...planning on staying at limestone/devils this weekend.

Offline panthermartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Headin up monday morning for a two dayer.  Very interested in transportation requirments.  Bringing a sled and a 4x4 truck with set of chains.  Are there trails worth travelling with a truck or is it limited to sled by now? Any recent info appreciated. 

Offline perchasaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Good question panther, i cant answer it. may ashcol can?
I am curious about the same thing as well as how far is the trip into Oskikebuk?  Looks to be over 25km by sled! Any help?
Fishing lakes in Saskatchewan since 1980, or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.