Author Topic: Northern Sask  (Read 13983 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern Sask
« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:21 AM »
 i'd travel cautious, lakes in this area have been slushed up for 2 or 3 weeks now.  with this last dump of snow we got the situation is that much uglier.  i'm guessing the lakes around desch. are in the same predicament having got about the same amount of snow this winter.

here's to hoping for a week of -40c to get things tightened up for the end of the season.

Offline HardWater731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2011, 02:12 PM »
We went to Oskikebuk last year; it was about 25 miles (about 40km) from Bloomfields - we might not have taken the most direct route though as it was our first time. 

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2011, 02:25 PM »
We were up there last week with Ash and had a great time. It's about 29 miles one way.
Send Ash a message and he'll give you specifics and maybe give a suggestion on where to stay.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Hey Walleyescooter, arent you suppose to be working, my hard earned tax dollars are going toward ice shanty post,hahaha, Sorry to hear about the Devils trip, maybe I will be around next time, you know the Magic of a farmer with a stick,Let the Force be with you.. Cold up here and looks like warmer to come.... Check out Northern Sask for the most up to date fishing reports and snow conditions....Also Walleyescooter remember the power of a door stopper!!!  :)

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:52 AM »
i'd travel cautious, lakes in this area have been slushed up for 2 or 3 weeks now.  with this last dump of snow we got the situation is that much uglier.  i'm guessing the lakes around desch. are in the same predicament having got about the same amount of snow this winter.

here's to hoping for a week of -40c to get things tightened up for the end of the season.

Hey Ranger.  U had to ask for 40 below? lol
cheers

Headin to Pelican narrows Tues then Tobin Wed Thurs.    Lotsa drivin but fishin should be good.

Offline nesaskfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Hey Natwild,

Do you fish Pelican lake when you are up there or other lakes in the area?

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Hey Walleyescooter, aren't you suppose to be working, my hard earned tax dollars are going toward ice shanty post,hahaha, Sorry to hear about the Devils trip, maybe I will be around next time, you know the Magic of a farmer with a stick,Let the Force be with you.. Cold up here and looks like warmer to come.... Check out Northern Sask for the most up to date fishing reports and snow conditions....Also Walleyescooter remember the power of a door stopper!!!  :)

Yes, Ash, it sucks to get outfished by a farmer with a yardstick and a roll of bailer twine. The "windmill" was set up and producing with your secret hook. I have to admit I traded a $7 PK Lure for a 20 cent jig just to catch up! I won't admit to getting outfished by a door stopper. Pike don't count :)

Did you donate that PK Lure to a pike yet? Won't take long.

Hope to make it back up North again soon!

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 21, 2011, 01:33 PM »
no Walleyescooter, have not been back out, back to work for 10, see what the weather is like then.I have got Lutz's cover in the shed drying, try to see how small i can fold it to send to you.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Hey Scooter heres your Northern Pike , Good Catch

g]

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:59 PM »
try again

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 22, 2011, 03:45 AM »
Hey SKFisherman - I'm up there on and off for the next 8 weeks.  Gonna hit pelican, limestone and Desch.  Maybe venture over to Manitoba and fish with a bud for a day or two.  I'll post how it is when i get some fishin time in.  Cheers

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 22, 2011, 03:46 AM »
Hey Ash - Nice Pike   :)

Offline coteboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:36 PM »
 just came back from Deschambault. we were fishing at Ballantynes bay just west of willow island. fishing was ok but not the greatest. caught fish every day but not too many in numbers. nothing big but decent size. there was a lot of snow making it hard to get around.

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:50 AM »
We did ok at Ballantyne but not great. VERY tough to get around without a sled. Should pick up soon! Fishing's getting good in Southern SK. The walleye are coming out of their hiding spots!

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Was there a trail out there past willow to where Garys shack is? Did u guys drive out? Wer planning on going up this weekend..we drove out with my truck last time hoping we still could

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:45 PM »
The road ended at Willow and wasn't very passable after the last storm. Maybe Ash knows if he plowed it again?
Good luck! Hope you catch lots!

Offline coteboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Was there a trail out there past willow to where Garys shack is? Did u guys drive out? Wer planning on going up this weekend..we drove out with my truck last time hoping we still could
yes they grated a trail up to gary's shacks but then we broke our own trail past that. yes we had a 3/4 ton diesel but a 1/2 ton can make it if it didnt blow in or snow.

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Kewl thanks for the info..was there any slush? Has the other part of the Bay been closed off yet?

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:19 AM »
pretty sure they "close" it off March 1. Last year they didn't mark it, they just expected people to patrol themselves and stay out of the boundary.
There's a sign on shore that states how far to be out but it's crazy! It's a long ways from the mouth of the river. They don't want anyone near the fish :(
Seems you can net them by the thousands but anglers are not allowed to catch 5/ day with a hook.

BTW- no slush last week when we were there.

Good luck!

Offline perchasaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Dechambault lake+ 3 guys+ 2 days= 15 fish .  Was not the greatest trip -fishing wise- but was an adventure. Road is plowed past ice shacks at willow island but will not be once a wind comes across the lake. They won't clear that far again.  Enjoy
Fishing lakes in Saskatchewan since 1980, or so.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:57 PM »
 As the reports are coming in that the slush is very minumal out at Oskikbuk Lake, Sounds like there are some troubles up farther, A group i know up at Park Lake  are finding it hard to leave with flood water on the river. Conditions can change quickly on lakes with lots of narrows and moving water. Fishing reports are still good from the remote lakes in the area. Weather has been very cool and the wind will bite right thru you in minutes, so always been prepared for the worst. The restricted areas on Deschambault, Oskikibuk,are in force on March 1st, but are still  lots of good areas on these lakes to fish,   Happy fishing, Stay tune for more reports from the Northern Sask. :)

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:43 AM »
I was wondering if where Garys Shack is located is in that area that is off boundaries or is that still in the safe zone..thanks

Offline perchasaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:23 AM »
There were two lighter coloured shacks located near the river (enclosed area) a couple of days ago.  Three shacks near willow island (one guy from Spalding, one from Nipawin area). Dont know if that helps?  We found surface water and slush on the main road and various parts of Deshambault as well. 
Fishing lakes in Saskatchewan since 1980, or so.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I would think that Gary shack location would be out of bounds, As I remember from last year,the boundry was a long ways toward willow Island and 1.5 miles appox. from shore. after they put up the boundry we only went out one, they should put up some markers to make sure fishermen and fisherwomen are not to close. In the old days they would put up small evergreens to mark the perimeter. To be safe call the CO's in Creighton at 306-688-8812, I talked to Lorne @ SERM in crieghton and he is going to send me the Longitude and Latitude number. I will post them as soon as I receive them. This way there will be no mistaking the in and out of bounds.. ;D @)

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:16 PM »
PDFColor-02232011115703.pdf>>

I hope you can open this file, It explains the boundries for Deschambault lake and Oskikebuk Lake as well as some others, If I cant open this file i will type it in later....

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Ok so that didint work,,,here is what it says

Ballantyne River and  Ballantyne Bay being all waters of the Ballantyne River and all the waters of  Ballantyne Bay of Deschambault Lake, at approximate NL 54"40' WL103" 33', lying south of NL54"38' and the west of 103"40' ,,  So now if you can use a GPS, you can never go wrong.. LOL

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Well Days off are here again and were going fishing, First up is Devils Lake just off Limestone, Going in with a veteran devil lake fishermen, should be alot of fun. Next up is Oskikebuk with the same guy and my Wife and my daughter and her boyfriend. Hopefully will be a repeat of the last time in. It will be so good to see the daughter catch lots, will be her first remote lake fishing trip. Excited for all... Will post on all the action....

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:53 PM »
We were up on devils last week, fishing wasnt great but what we did catch were all good sized.  Also theres quite a bit of slush ice on the ice already so pin those sleds!

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the update on slush conditions. Where did you fish on Devils? I have heard the fish you get are nice but can be hard to get some time. Is it to tough to pull a sleigh in there or go solo.

Offline walleye-militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:41 PM »
We always fish around the island either on the north or south side of it.  In the past we've caught some nice walleye out of devils, but this year only pike.  We alway pull a couple of sleighs in with no problems, but you"ll want to have them connected to a couple of the more powerful sleds with a single rider just because you hit slush pretty much as soon as you come out of the bush onto devils.  As for the trail from limestone to devils in the bush its beautiful! Wish that the trail to Oskekibuk was that smooth.  Hopefully this helps you out, post how you do. Goodluck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.