Author Topic: Lake Scugog 2011-update  (Read 19412 times)

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Scugog 2011-update
« on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:13 AM »
Hey all,

Just thought I would post an update considering I live on the lake.  Major portions of the lake have 1/2 of ice or so, but its leaving as soon as it arrived. Season opens on Jan 1.   More updates to follow....Ocean

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Scugog 2011-update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:43 AM »
great news,I plan on getting on the bog more this year ;)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Isn't scugog open year round for perch, crappie and gills?

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Thanks Ocean, I plan on getting there at least once this year, your info will come in handy
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Yes Icejunky perch and crappie are open year round,the walleye opens Jan 1 2011.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Scugog 2010/11- current update
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Isn't scugog open year round for perch, crappie and gills?

Yes, icejunky your correct. Year-round open season now for sunfish (allowed 300 & 30 greater than 7.1"), yellow perch,(Sport 50) black crappie (sport 30) and northern pike (sport 6)  in zone 17  (Lake Scugog as of 2010) but this could change I suspose for the 2011 regs.  I can't find the 2011 online yet.  Walleye slot is keepable fish between 13.8 " to 19.7 " and a limit of 4 for sport licence (1 for conservation)

You can call the Peterborough District office for more details at 1-705-755-2001

**Remember  Have your valid  fishing licence, insurance slip for skidoo/quad/ valid sticker and drinking and driving counts as a DUI in Ontario! 2 lines per person allowed.

All the ice is gone, but cold temps are expected soon!  Updates to follow!

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Scugog 2011- current update
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Starr bay is frozen ( 1/4 ") and the main lake is freezing now..shes a cold night and making ice!

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Has anyone been to check out Scugog today or yesterday there should be a bit of ice made tonight ;D

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:35 AM »
There is about 6" of nice ice right now in most places on Scugog.  Buddies have walked out about 500 m and drilled all the way and still 6"  However, there is still thinner spots I would bet.  But its looking good. Several ice rinks are out now and it getting cold agian on Monday!  Be safe.  ocean

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Thanks for the report Ocean
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Decent, I was out checking today and 6" off the island across from port just need to find time to get out there, has anyone else been out fishing yet??? I couldnt see anyone today.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:29 PM »
great news,I need ice bad lol.

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when hell freezes over i will ice fish there too
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:56 PM »
awesome news for scugog , thanks for the report,,,, havent been out yet , i just wait for the opener on the 1st ,,, seems like it should all be good for the 1st then eh !!!!!!!!!!!!
ice fishing season ,,what wife????

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:51 PM »
awesome news for scugog , thanks for the report,,,, haven't been out yet , i just wait for the opener on the 1st ,,, seems like it should all be good for the 1st then eh !!!!!!!!!!!!

haha brother, hear ya on this one >>>ice fishing season ,,what wife?"<<< I would add, what job?

Good news for Scugog tonight, we got cold temps back (supposed to be -8 for a few days or so)....also without an insulating blanket of snow.  Cold tonight, making ice!

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:12 PM »
any more reports from scugog?? i hear there are sleds on it

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:35 AM »
i was out for a few mins tues and there was 5" black and 1" white and yesterday there was 6" black and 1" white measured with a tape, only jigged for a few mins was to cold for jeans lol that was off the boat launch in port

Offline icefishermandave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • i do!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:04 AM »
good news!! any word on how the ice is out in front of goreski's?
fishing isn't a matter of life and death its much more important!!!

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Buddy of mine has seen sleds near goreskis on ice.  Still cold, so should be do-able. will drill some holes tomorrow and repost.  Soon lads!!! Rigging the rods this weekend.

Offline jusbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I was out just off Fralick's beach (just north of goreski's on the island) and there was a solid 6 inches of black ice. I think i'll head out after work tom.

Offline icefishermandave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • i do!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:15 PM »
awesome news guys thanks for the updates! cant wait to get out for the first time this year, hopefully it will be this weekend

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:41 AM »
any other updates for us ??  has anyone headed out very far ?? thanks guys

Offline icefishermandave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • i do!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:00 AM »
i went out last night by goreskis there were a few guys out there everyone i talked to sayed they only caught a couple tiny perch. first hole we drilled had about 8 inches of ice 4 black and 4 white on top there were allot of slushy spots so annyway our first hole didnt produce marked one fish on the marcum and no weeds(10 fow)  so we walked out a little bit and we couldnt get out of the slush so we said ok lets just try a hole here we drilled 2.5 inches almost crapped my pants as me and my buddy are two big dudes but it didnt break so we sat there and fished for a bit again no fish no weeds(12 fow) this thinner ice got me a little worried about walking around looking for fish/weeds so we moved one more time this time out of the slush and it was 8 inches again 4 black and 4 white on top fished it for about 45 mins marked one fish looking at my jigs for a bit but didnt take (7 fow), so we just packed it in i would have liked to explore a little more but im gonna  wait till the ice is a little more consistant. so ya we got skunked but it was fun to get out! buy the way the ministry was in the parking lot at goreskis waiting for people to come off and check their lisence/ fish. be safe out there guys and good luck

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2010, 03:08 PM »
hey all , i heard that on friday a snowmobiler went through the ice in port and there is a snowmobile half frozen in the ice in view lake,,,, anymore reports on the ice ??? i hope its all good for the walleye season opener,, i sled back and forth from view lake to about west shore marina.....

Offline HWH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:02 AM »
Went out with a buddy last night to try for some crappies after dark. Accessed the lake at the end of Port Hoover road. No huts out yet that I could see(mind you it was dark). Looked to be some sled activity. Spudded our way out a about 200 yds. For the most part the ice was great for being early in the season. Where we set up there was approx 5" of black ice and about 2" of white. With that being said, we did encounter one spot that the spud bar went through with two whacks(approx 50 ft from shore). Maybe 3". Five feet away the ice was fine. Felt very safe out there for walking. Still need to be careful and check the ice as you go. Unfortunately we got skunked, but it was an excuse to get out. Probably fished from 6 to 8:30. Heading to Virginia beach on Simcoe tomorrow. Look out yellow bellies, I'm coming for you.

HWH

Have a great Christmas break everyone

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:37 AM »
anyone been out on the bog??? i hear view lake area has decent ice.. anymore updates yet ??? looks like we are in for some warmer weather for around the walleye opener...... hope everyone had a good x-mas..........

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:06 PM »
anyone been out on the bog??? i hear view lake area has decent ice.. anymore updates yet ??? looks like we are in for some warmer weather for around the walleye opener...... hope everyone had a good x-mas..........

Going all the way out tomorrow   Will report findings   Ocean

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:42 PM »
hey ocean  what part of the bog are you on ??? im in janetville ,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:50 PM »

He all travelled all over Scugog today, solid every where I went.  Like 7 huts out too.  One patch of slush, but other wise good.  Travelled to port perry and to ball point, no problems did not see any pressure cracks (high ones anyways) anywhere

ONE issue however hoping someone can help.  I put my hut out today as there are lots out, but one guy says its a 150 per day fine for huts out BEFORE the Jan 1, BUT, the season is open and there is NOTHING that I couls see in the book preventing me from putting a hut out early.  Does anyone know FOR SURE??  OCEAN

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:02 PM »
He all travelled all over Scugog today, solid every where I went.  Like 7 huts out too.  One patch of slush, but other wise good.  Travelled to port perry and to ball point, no problems did not see any pressure cracks (high ones anyways) anywhere

ONE issue however hoping someone can help.  I put my hut out today as there are lots out, but one guy says its a 150 per day fine for huts out BEFORE the Jan 1, BUT, the season is open and there is NOTHING that I couls see in the book preventing me from putting a hut out early.  Does anyone know FOR SURE??  OCEAN

i search the web and did not find anything saying you couldnt put the huts out early , all i found was laws and stuff for leaving them out past march 1st,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:11 PM »

ya I know Joe, I could not see anything in book about going out early, think I am going to take my chances.  I am located on Washburn Island and my hut is off ball point ! maybe see you out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.