Author Topic: Lake Scugog 2011-update  (Read 19396 times)

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when hell freezes over i will ice fish there too
Re: Lake Scugog 2011-update
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:22 PM »
ya I know Joe, I could not see anything in book about going out early, think I am going to take my chances.  I am located on Washburn Island and my hut is off ball point ! maybe see you out there!

i pass by there everytime i go out , i fish on the other side of the lake near hole in the wall, and goreski's,,, never really tried your side of the lake but my buddy has hut out there now so im gonna give it a try this year ,,, maybe ill catch up with you sometime  i drive a bright blue and yellow polaris X edge sled , and my helmet has a mohawk on it , not hard to miss.. if ya see me flag me down ill stop and say hi
ice fishing season ,,what wife????

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:34 PM »
i pass by there everytime i go out , i fish on the other side of the lake near hole in the wall, and goreski's,,, never really tried your side of the lake but my buddy has hut out there now so im gonna give it a try this year ,,, maybe ill catch up with you sometime  i drive a bright blue and yellow polaris X edge sled , and my helmet has a mohawk on it , not hard to miss.. if ya see me flag me down ill stop and say hi

Will do.  My hut is dark green camo with a white fish skeleton on the door, swing by if u see it. j

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 PM »
i search the web and did not find anything saying you couldnt put the huts out early , all i found was laws and stuff for leaving them out past march 1st,

Well, got the info from the ministry this am.  No huts allowed prior to Jan 1. only the portables  So...pulled her off today, what a drag!!  Just don't want a fine!

tight lines lads!  Ocean

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Well, got the info from the ministry this am.  No huts allowed prior to Jan 1. only the portables  So...pulled her off today, what a drag!!  Just don't want a fine!

tight lines lads!  Ocean

good to know,, i rode today from view lake to port perry  and saw about 10 huts on the ice

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:12 PM »

good to know,, i rode today from view lake to port perry  and saw about 10 huts on the ice
Have u seen any weak spots in ur travels ?  The lake looks pretty solid. Not sure what  this warm spell is gonna do to her however

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Have u seen any weak spots in ur travels ?  The lake looks pretty solid. Not sure what  this warm spell is gonna do to her however
some spots looked bad but i think i was just more nervous then anything,,, but at 100 mph i wasnt seeing much ,, i figured the faster i went i could just skip over anything ,,,  but over all it seemed fine ,,, lots of sleds out on the port perry side of the lake ,,
 ya this warm spell and rain had me worried, i think we might see a couple spots open up,,,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:24 PM »
yes I agree.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I will be testing and drilling each day to see changes as I am now off work for a while. keep ya posted from my end...

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:36 PM »
yes I agree.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I will be testing and drilling each day to see changes as I am now off work for a while. keep ya posted from my end...

ill let ya know what happens jan 1st on the other side of the lake , heading out at noon to pull huts out , yipeeeee walleye season is here !!!!!!

Offline MatthewHeayn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Hey fellows,

I've been out on Scugog the past two days for about 3-4 hours each day. The ice looks good (as you may already know) and was about 8 inches infront of the town ramp. Managed to get a few dozen Perch while trying to locate Crappie, however they weren't really of any size. Before I packed up this evening I finally got a Crappie, but again, no size. Using a Berkley Rod and Reel Combo (Medium Action) and SubZero Jigs tipped with Berkley PowerBait Maggots.

Some bad news however... Just took a drive out to Palmer Park (11:00pm), and with the temperatures climbing the ice already has an inch layer of slush on it. Be cautious tomorrow night/Saturday guys and goodluck!

Matt

Offline MatthewHeayn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Forgot to mention that the MNR are also approaching guys by Snowmobile and sitting at a couple launches stopping guys. Mostly checking for licenses.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has some experience with scugog and a brief warming trend. I wonder if 3days of +3-10 will have any impact on safety in most areas. Obviously in areas of current it will erode faster but what about the other areas ?any thought guys?

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:25 AM »
depends on how much ice is out there now ,,i have been out when we have say 7 to 10 inchs of ice and then we had warm spell, i didnt notice much difference just on the surface, first inch or 2 of ice turned crystalized..my father inlaw has been on the lake for 27 yrs and he is ready to go out 2moro afternoon and we have people coming on the 2nd , he wouldnt have them coming if he thought it was gonna be unsafe..i dont know forsure but i think its gonna be ok ,, i hope anyways

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Hey fellows,

I've been out on Scugog the past two days for about 3-4 hours each day. The ice looks good (as you may already know) and was about 8 inches infront of the town ramp. Managed to get a few dozen Perch while trying to locate Crappie, however they weren't really of any size. Before I packed up this evening I finally got a Crappie, but again, no size. Using a Berkley Rod and Reel Combo (Medium Action) and SubZero Jigs tipped with Berkley PowerBait Maggots.

Some bad news however... Just took a drive out to Palmer Park (11:00pm), and with the temperatures climbing the ice already has an inch layer of slush on it. Be cautious tomorrow night/Saturday guys and goodluck!

Matt

thanks matt for the heads up... allways good to get a few guys feed back on ice conditions,,, sorry about your luck with the crappie,,, i only go out fishing around 2pm get my holes cut  then set my tip-ups,,, around 3 -4 pm the perch come in  then the crappie then the walleye at dusk  and after, allways seems to work this way for me ,,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Went fishing tonight off ball point-3-7pm . Skunked, not even a nibble. Weed flat in 7-8 feet of water. Good green veg. Next to a deep basin. Ice was 7"8" and in good shape although very wet and slushy. Got stuck near shore line in deep muck as ice broke off. Becareful near shore. Several huts came out tonight with out problem. warm tomorrow to grrrrrrrrr

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Went fishing tonight off ball point-3-7pm . Skunked, not even a nibble. Weed flat in 7-8 feet of water. Good green veg. Next to a deep basin. Ice was 7"8" and in good shape although very wet and slushy. Got stuck near shore line in deep muck as ice broke off. Becareful near shore. Several huts came out tonight with out problem. warm tomorrow to grrrrrrrrr
[/quot

you didnt just the ''S'' word now did ya ocean???? lol,,  went to view lake today just to take a look and WOW does it ever look bad out there, same in port,, scarey looking,, well im hitting the ice 2moro afternoon, hopefully the ice is ok ,,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:06 PM »
It was safe but indeed scary. I road stand up the whole way. Shores line will be sloppy. I buried half the ways tonight. Thank God for winches!

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:09 AM »
It was safe but indeed scary. I road stand up the whole way. Shores line will be sloppy. I buried half the ways tonight. Thank God for winches!

wow this morning looks horrible , i think ill go check and see whats happen to the ice before i venture out too far

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:12 PM »

wow this morning looks horrible , i think ill go check and see whats happen to the ice before i venture out too far

ya its scray out there.  going to walk out in starr bay tonight and fish, leaving quad at home.  ice is fine generally speaking but there might be some weak spots now. foggy out too.  minus 9 tonight!!! whahooo

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #48 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Was on pigeon today and I was drilling almost every 10 yards, the ice looked scary, but there was plenty of if. We tried two spots with no luck. We did not venture out into deeper water, as the ice made me nervous

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Was on pigeon today and I was drilling almost every 10 yards, the ice looked scary, but there was plenty of if. We tried two spots with no luck. We did not venture out into deeper water, as the ice made me nervous

Got 2 small perch and one med crappie tonight in starr bay about 4' of water with some weeds.  Otherwise quiet.  Some small holes in ice, about 6-8' in diameter that go right though but otherwise still good ice.  Beware the shore lines.

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Got 2 small perch and one med crappie tonight in starr bay about 4' of water with some weeds.  Otherwise quiet.  Some small holes in ice, about 6-8' in diameter that go right though but otherwise still good ice.  Beware the shore lines.

was out last night , really foggy and ice looked sketchy but we drilled out by 7mile island and we were on 7 to 9 inch of ice,, check out my post with the nights catch,and pic , 5 good wally, 3 good perch and a good crappie,,,,

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Nice joe. Out by ball point again. Quiet so far 4:45 now. Did the walleys hit at dark?

Offline joe edge700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »
we had the 2 biggest hit at 3:45,, i set the lines at 3:15,  but i drilled the holes at 2pm and let them sit while we went back and hauled the hut out,, the other 3 eyes were caught between 5pm till 10 when we left ....same for the perch and crappie

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Skunked again. !! Drats!!

Offline HWH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:54 AM »
I was out off of Sand Bar Rd, on the opener night. The rain definitely scared a few people off. It was very slippy out there and you needed cleats. With that being said, the ice was in much better shape than I thought, especially at the shore. There was approx 7" of clear good ice. No crap layer at all. The ice was perfectly clear, so setting up on the edge of weeds was no problem. It was like being in a large glass bottom boat. Fished for a few hours. Caught some perch, a rockbass, 1 good crappie and that was it. No walley-burgers. Maybe next time.

HWH

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #55 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Hey guys was at scugog jan1 and got spanked 1 jumbo and 5 lost fish 3 of which confirmed eyes. Was wondering if anyone had any info on the ceasarea side if ice is safe   Any help appreciated. Tight lines boys
walking on water, just like the big man!!!

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Hey guys was at scugog jan1 and got spanked 1 jumbo and 5 lost fish 3 of which confirmed eyes. Was wondering if anyone had any info on the ceasarea side if ice is safe   Any help appreciated. Tight lines boys

See lots of huts for ceasarea side, looks like a city over there!  Got skunked AGAIN with the wife tonight...wondering of the bite is shallow right now??  Any insight?   I am fishing a weed flat adjacent to a deep basin.... going over to the port side tomorrow to fish the funnel.  Lots of huts there. 

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:36 PM »
also using pinhead minnows....wondering of that is my problem, they don't seem to move much.  going to try and get some bigger shinners or creek minnows, anyone have better luck with either?  ocean

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Hey ocean, we were in about 5 ft and lots of weeds. we had bites but couldnt getem on the ice. I havent fished much on the bog, but my buddy geoff has some spots in mind and we were thinking of hitting the bog on sat again a 2-10 .We were using pin heads and even the perch didnt wantem, switch to maggots but missed the perch bite. So hoping to change up things for sat, company always welcome!!! J
walking on water, just like the big man!!!

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for the invite!  Just might take you up on that.  Me and a buddy went out tonight near Goreski marina in the "funnel" as I call it.  Switched to Dace minnows, these things are tough.  Just cant kill em.  Used 2 minnows all night.  We fished for 2-7pm.  Not a bite!  Ran into Ron James of the fishing show FISH TV.  He said he got 5 nice eyes other day on pinheads and a pink jig.  Lots of people out but only one obvious fish.  Everything was quiet.  Real drag, getting sick of getting skunked! Glad I put studs on the quad, runs like its on dirt! Hope all of you are doing better.  Ocean

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.