New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont/Point Salub. parking... help me fix it.  (Read 3840 times)

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
Chaumont/Point Salub. parking... help me fix it.
« on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:34 AM »
This will be long… please bear with me.
This does pertain to ice fishing, and is important, please do not move it to off topic or other area.

I live in Chaumont, I ice fish off pt salubrious, I don’t own and don’t plan to own a 4wheeler or snowmobile. Now that the town has put up signs to stop parking on CR 125, there is no way to access Johnson shoal, or sawmill bay without walking from the boat launch. I have reviewed the town meeting minutes (online for anyone to see) and found that the only ones who had anything to say about the “problem of ice fishermen” are some of the folks who have their houses on that road. They say ‘we’ clog up the road to the point where they, the snow plow, and emergency vehicles can not get through. I have been fishing this area for a while now and have yet to not be able to get through myself. So, the town now has posted the entire area as off limits to parking and is writing parking tickets for such.  The board needs to hear from us too!!! It may not make a difference, but we should be heard. The next town board meeting is wed. January 14th at 630 pm at the town office. I am planning on being there to make my voice heard. I would like for some other folks to be there too. On any given weekend hundreds of folks drive many miles to fish here, I would like to see some of you drive here for that meeting and help the board see that we are able to make our voices heard as well. We have a right to fish there.
Also, in the other areas we have to park, Please be courteous to the plow drivers, Get off the road as far as you can and still get out without getting stuck, even if your passenger has to climb out the drivers side. Some folks seem to think we are inconsiderate idiots, Let’s try to prove them wrong!

Fishman79
Dave Gordon
Chaumont

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
Re: Chaumont/Point Salub. parking... help me fix it.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Dave, I'll be out of town that day but if i could make it up there i deffently would be. Thats alot of people who spend omney up there that wont make the trip anymore.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:46 PM »
On any given weekend hundreds of folks drive many miles to fish here

I do not live nor fish in this area and had to google it to see what area of the state it is in and then out of curiosity went to the Big water\Jefferson county fishing reports section to read a little about it :o 

What I read in the reports section is what the hundreds if not thousands of others have read as well this past month and it may be a long shot here but do you think these good reports helped to increase the parking and contributed to getting your parking access taken away :cookoo:

I am not posting this to flame this website as alot of good info is shared but people should remember there are repercussions of posting those fishing reports everyone likes to read :'( :'( :'(

I really hope this post helps to get people thinking a little and does not get deleted as we do not need more parking area's closed :(
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:22 PM »
It is lurkers like you (speed) who have ruined it.  The people who park do it on the sides, and I have been getting through for years.  it is the rich people on the or across from the lake that complain.  They will be complaining when the taxes go up because the ice fisherpeople stop spending the money there.  I have been fishing there for a long time. I even have complained to the town to get some parking there.  I guess I will go elsewhere.  There are other fish in the pond.  We like to have people catch fish, And of course, not all the people have a good dauy, mostly the ones who know what to use. That is the secret.   Not telling.  My 5 cents

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:08 PM »
It is lurkers like you (speed) who have ruined it.  The people who park do it on the sides, and I have been getting through for years.  it is the rich people on the or across from the lake that complain.  They will be complaining when the taxes go up because the ice fisherpeople stop spending the money there.  I have been fishing there for a long time. I even have complained to the town to get some parking there.  I guess I will go elsewhere.  There are other fish in the pond.  We like to have people catch fish, And of course, not all the people have a good dauy, mostly the ones who know what to use. That is the secret.   Not telling.  My 5 cents
:'( :'( :'( :'( :-*

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:37 PM »
hey fishman 79 i thought there was talk last year about the town or the state aquireing some property down by the point to put in a parking lot for the fishermen? what ever happened to that?
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:50 PM »
The town of Chaumont will never change.  They want to keep everything like it was back in the early 1900's. They have a great natural resource in Lake Ontario, but don't want to do anything to attract business. They have one hell of a time passing any kind of school budgets because they seem to think that any smallincrease in taxes is unacceptable.  Hello.......YOUR TAXES WON'T GO UP IF YOU ALLOW MORE BUSINESS.  

The whole parking issue is a joke.  There have been very few cases of vehicles blocking the roads.  They are just using it as an excuse to make money on tickets.   The town board is a bunch of backwards idots.  Scott Al. is the leader and if you ever talk to him you would know why Chaumont has so many problems.  

I would like to think they will do more for the fisherman, but I doubt it.  There ansewer will remain to be use the boat launch.  

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:20 PM »
This will be long… please bear with me.
This does pertain to ice fishing, and is important, please do not move it to off topic or other area.

I live in Chaumont, I ice fish off pt salubrious, I don’t own and don’t plan to own a 4wheeler or snowmobile. Now that the town has put up signs to stop parking on CR 125, there is no way to access Johnson shoal, or sawmill bay without walking from the boat launch. I have reviewed the town meeting minutes (online for anyone to see) and found that the only ones who had anything to say about the “problem of ice fishermen” are some of the folks who have their houses on that road. They say ‘we’ clog up the road to the point where they, the snow plow, and emergency vehicles can not get through. I have been fishing this area for a while now and have yet to not be able to get through myself. So, the town now has posted the entire area as off limits to parking and is writing parking tickets for such.  The board needs to hear from us too!!! It may not make a difference, but we should be heard. The next town board meeting is wed. January 14th at 630 pm at the town office. I am planning on being there to make my voice heard. I would like for some other folks to be there too. On any given weekend hundreds of folks drive many miles to fish here, I would like to see some of you drive here for that meeting and help the board see that we are able to make our voices heard as well. We have a right to fish there.
Also, in the other areas we have to park, Please be courteous to the plow drivers, Get off the road as far as you can and still get out without getting stuck, even if your passenger has to climb out the drivers side. Some folks seem to think we are inconsiderate idiots, Let’s try to prove them wrong!

Fishman79
Dave Gordon
Chaumont

hey dave, have they already put up the signs out on all of point salubrious?  every time that we go down there we always park off the side of the road with every one else and there never seems to be a problem getting by them. anyways if we are free that night my father and I will be down to let our voices be heard, we travel all the way from ogdensburg to fish there about 15-20 times a season and its a good 60 miles away.  we always stop in and gas up at the nice n easy there and get lunch there also.  It seems to me that the town doesnt realize the money comming in from the people that travel there to ice fish.  we do have wheelers but still park out at point salubrious because its shorter to go and safer, we will let u know if we can make it up there for the meeting. icepike 26 out
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:13 PM »
New to the site and new to ice fishing this year.  Went to Chaumont today for my first ice fishing trip ever.  Travelled all the way from Marcellus, just outside of Syracuse.  Was dying to get out as the ice hear isn't quite ready.  I must say, there weren't many spots that didn't have posted signs or "no parking any time".  However, I did manage to find one.  Fortunately for me I did not get a ticket as I noticed the police were writing tickets when I was packing up and heading of the ice aprox. 2pm.  I arrived around 8:00 am and the spots that did not have signs were full, I guess that's why it took me a 1/2 hour to walk out onto the ice from the parking spot I chose.  When I was in town I spent aprox. $30 for gas and breakfast at Stewarts.  Maybe if everyone spends $30 they won't write tickets, just leave a receipt in your window.

On another note, I absolutely crushed the perch and caught one nice northern.  I must say, I couldn't of asked for a better first ice fishing experience.  I didn't know what to expect so I bought minnows, waxies, brought tip ups.......... never used any of them.  Drilled 2 holes, 1 for my Vex and the other to jig through.  It was non stop action from 8:30 till 2:00.  That is quite the fishery you have there and I would expect those that are close should attend the meeting to represent all fisherman.  Let your voices be heard, even if nothing is done in our favor.  It will at least be known for future encounters.  Good luck and hope to be back up soon!

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2009, 05:15 AM »
It is lurkers like you (speed) who have ruined it. 

Yep its all my fault your parking access got closed off ::)  You just keep posting them good fish reports and hotspots and I will keep crowding your parking lots and jiggin your holes too :-*

60 Guests, 66 Users - I ain't the only one lurking - I am just "out of the closet" and ain't ashamed to admit it ;)

THINK before POSTING fish reports if you don't like the parking issues\crowds :-X

Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:14 AM »
There are alot of lurkers on this site looking for info but dont want to share!I hate to hear of any access getting taken away from ice fishing we as a group seem to get a bad reputation.A few people that park like idiots and leave messes make us all look bad.People need to think about this when they are accessing from roads and private areas!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:17 AM »
fishman, hows everything in the north?Im gonna be up there for our yearly trip to red but wont be in town till the 15th.Too bad to hear of parking problem.We have thought of trying chamount some time when were up there.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2009, 12:08 PM »
point sal. is a tough one.  Its a VERY narrow rd to begin with and on top of that, the closest access to good fishing.  You all know the town is going to do what they want.  The parking area would be smart, but will it be worth it to the town.  Heres another good question.  What if they prevented access for the million and a half snowmobilers that visit every year?  good ol school politics at work.  wish I could make it for the meeting, for those attending let yourselves be heard and make sure you have a list of possible REASONABLE solutions.

good luck,

E

Offline basscott99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:37 PM »
It looks to me you will be by yourself because everyone complains but are to busy to help their cause. I have been their when the plow had to back up a good 1/4 mile because he could not get through. We are our own worst enemies because I have picked up plenty of trash left behind, seen trailers with ramps left up taking up more parking spaces and during warm spells trenches from wheelers running over landowners property leaving a mess. I have left this side of the bay and acquired permission with a landowner for access. This to was in jeopardy when others saw a vehicle parked and assumed that they to had permission. I will be there even though I don't park there to show support and am driving 1.5 hours.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2009, 03:31 PM »
good call basscott, hopefully a good bunch of people will show up.  I'd go, but its a 6 hour drive for me  ;D  Im in the same boat as you, I have a spot to park allready, at my house lol.  I would think a parking area is the best suggestion for the town.  No matter what, people are going to leave trash, park where they want and whatnot, its the nature of the beast, BUT at least with a parking area fisherman can police themselves and if a "lot" gets closed.........

E

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:44 PM »
I fish up there you have signs on the road where to park i was up there FRI ,and the officer was  there just doing his job just be able to read the signs you will be OK!!!   

Offline Bsens07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:29 AM »
Well, the parking issue just plain sucks.  I too am fairly new and so is my ice buddy.  However, we made the trip last year and it was none stop action, we couldnt keep the perch off our lines.  So far all I have heard from my buddy is "When are we going to Chaumont?" or "this fishing here is nothing like last year, when are we making the trip up there?".  We come up from Binghamton (roughly 3 1/2hr drive) and leave here around 3:00am just to come up.  This year we planned on staying local overnight just to get an extra day in. 

I dont want to start a war over this, but even myself,  I wouldnt be opposed to pay a fee to the town for a parking pass even if it was for 1 day.  I dont know the area well enough to have to drive all over and find a parking spot. 

What about the elderly or disabled, now those poor people will have to walk all over just to fish that paticular area.

Fishman: Do you plan on printing off the replies and taking them to the town for people that cant attend?  I have to work that night otherwise I would make the drive and fish the next day.  Would you need name and address or something if you did?  Not sure how that would work to make it official or how that works with the rules of the site, but just a thought if you could or wanted to be our offical spokesman.  Im game for signing or doing whatever else I can do to help.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:47 AM »
While we understand and support your concerns over this issue, we caution all who wish to be involved to please send private information such as names and addresses by email or personal message. Do not post this information in a publicly viewed forum.

Thanks,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Thanks to all who read and replied to this topic. I have been ofline since I posted it and had no idea if anyone would even care. I am glad to see that some folks are going to come to the meeting. I plan on simply stating the bennefit of having the ice fishermen spend money here, and the need to work with them for the best interests of all involved. This will be done in a respectfull manor. I too have not heard anything good about the Lyme town board, BUT they are still the ones in power and I will show them respect.
On another note, I could not fish yesterday but I did take a drive out the point. I didn't really notice a large amount of new signs, but the ones there are very confusing regarding the arrows that point in the directions you can and can't park. I spoke with Chief wilson who was there writing tickets and told him they need to be more clear, he said we can talk again and see about clarifying.
For now, enjoy the great fishing and again, try to be curteous and respectfull with the parking and access. It's ALL private land there we are crossing, it is a priviledge.

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:12 AM »
have they finally changed the laws about the parking i see that they (the town clowns) have put out new maps for parking

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:28 AM »
there is an article in the syracuse herald this morning concerning this and basically the town supervisor is saying to bad so sad use the public launch areas or face getting a parking ticket. I guess they are trying to work on getting more access at long point state park were ever that is not sure
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:35 PM »
there is still places to park on CR 125, just use your head and don't park in a no parking area, and respect the landowners, its not as difficult as everyone wants to make it out to be.

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:25 PM »
me and two buddies came up and fished last friday and parked our trucks and trailers at the boat launch and left from there really not a big deal

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:52 PM »
there is an article in the syracuse herald this morning concerning this and basically the town supervisor is saying to bad so sad use the public launch areas or face getting a parking ticket. I guess they are trying to work on getting more access at long point state park were ever that is not sure

Hey Muskrat -  I researched where Long Point State Park is as I am at the mercy of  " my feet " when my buddy with a Snowmobile is not available. How to most easily explain this:

Long Point State Park is part of Point Pennisula (Closest to the Lake). Essentially straight across from mainland Three Mile Point ( Hickory Point ) . Herrick Shoal is would cross this line in the middle of the bay   

Via the Road : Rt 12E to Carrying Point Road to Point Peninsula Road to the Park .  I have looked at the depths closest to this park and you can get 13 - 20 ft in stages pretty close to the shore .  I am going to try this out this coming weekend via this location

Parking at the Boat Launch is a good idea. ( if and only if you have an ATV or Sled)  People that walk like Rt 125 as this is as close as they can get to the good ice.  Parking at the Boat Launch would make for quite a hike for walkers.  This is the real issue here.

They better have the area ready after the had the article in the paper !!!!!  >:(

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:01 AM »
long point is an ok place to park, but it adds 15 miles to the drive one way. there are still places on CR 125 and 3 mile point road, I'll save my 30 miles in gas.

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:45 AM »
long point state park is not plowed as of 10am  1/26/09 there is a person over there parked on the road which makes no sense to me we can park on the road over there but not point salub. i guess the land is worth more on point salub.

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Yep its all my fault your parking access got closed off ::)  You just keep posting them good fish reports and hotspots and I will keep crowding your parking lots and jiggin your holes too :-*

60 Guests, 66 Users - I ain't the only one lurking - I am just "out of the closet" and ain't ashamed to admit it ;)

THINK before POSTING fish reports if you don't like the parking issues\crowds :-X

so let me get this straight.....u come on a website forum that is designed to spread info about ice fishing and then tell people that the problems we are having is because of the info itself???????? why r u here then????? tou r telling people not to post on the site?!?!?!?!?!? how about this....u go back to lurking and keep posts like this one off the site ::) did u find every fishing spot u go to all by tourself.....r u the only one on the ice when u go??? hmmmmm maybe these places like, i dont know lake ontario arent really secrets ;D

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:50 AM »
it aint the number of people out there thats a problem... I'll share the bay with 1000 folks and be ok with it... if they would show respect to the landowners and those around them, Idiots are the problem, not too many good folks.  FYI, I hauled 6 empty propane tanks and a bunch of other trash off johnson shoal saterday evening, there's still a bunch of losers around.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:20 PM »
If anyone hears when they plow the Park  please let us know ?   Also From the State Park , How far is the haul to get to god fishing ?

Thanks

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:25 PM »
BJSCLAMMAN       I'm only bout ten mins away from state park I'm gonna check again later in the week

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.