New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont/Point Salub. parking... help me fix it.  (Read 3841 times)

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chaumont/Point Salub. parking... help me fix it.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Thanks Bubba -  Can you walk to the good  fishing from this access ??

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:13 PM »

Hey Muskrat -  I researched where Long Point State Park is as I am at the mercy of  " my feet " when my buddy with a Snowmobile is not available. How to most easily explain this:

Long Point State Park is part of Point Pennisula (Closest to the Lake). Essentially straight across from mainland Three Mile Point ( Hickory Point ) . Herrick Shoal is would cross this line in the middle of the bay   

Via the Road : Rt 12E to Carrying Point Road to Point Peninsula Road to the Park .  I have looked at the depths closest to this park and you can get 13 - 20 ft in stages pretty close to the shore .  I am going to try this out this coming weekend via this location

Parking at the Boat Launch is a good idea. ( if and only if you have an ATV or Sled)  People that walk like Rt 125 as this is as close as they can get to the good ice.  Parking at the Boat Launch would make for quite a hike for walkers.  This is the real issue here.

They better have the area ready after the had the article in the paper !!!!!  >:(

thanks for filling me in on were longpoint park is i agree with you 100% the boat launch is a long walk i have done it before and i agree with a previous post leave 125 road for walkers and the people with trucks and trailers with machines can park at the launch maybe this will help out till something else is done
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:49 PM »
long point state park is not plowed as of 10am  1/26/09 there is a person over there parked on the road which makes no sense to me we can park on the road over there but not point salub. i guess the land is worth more on point salub.

For What it is worth I just sent an email to the Town Supervisor, and Deputy, Highway Super and Deputy to ask what the deal is about Long Point SP..  I wrote that I thought access to this area was especially important this weekend due to the derby that is going to occur.  I will see if anyone responds.....

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:21 AM »
when I went to the town meeting earlier in the month, the long point parking was discussed, apparently the state park people do not want the park plowed out because they are afraid the parking and snowmobiles will hurt their new asfault. I don't know if things have changed since then.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:13 PM »
As of this post I have no been favored by a response from  the 4 Town Employees I emailed.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Well Here it is the weekend  and nobody from the town ever got back to me... I take it we can park on the road near Long Point SP  without  problem ?  Anyone know ?

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:29 PM »
FWIW  I went over to Long Point SP  this Saturday .   You could park on the road in front of the State Park and unload you ATV or Sled there. There is a ton of room !!   An Ice Fisherman I presume went through there and plowed a rudimentary  path down to the waterfront. If more people show up there and venture down that road you could be blocked in .   This would be a good spot for a straight shot to Herrick Shoal .

If you are walking pulling  shanty this access is OK, but if you have to go through drifts or deep snow , it is a pain in the a** .  The profiles there vary, we started in 17 FOW then moved to 12 FOW.. Only caught 4 keepers..  I also caught a Mud Puppy !!!

After I went to Long Point , I went to Pt Salubrious to check out the situation .  They have mounded the snow up very high along the road. Even if you park in a designated area it is my opinion you could risk a ticket for blocking the roadway .  It looked like very few people were there that day . I am thinking the strong arm tactics are scaring the the fishermen ( and the money ) away .  I got bait at Chaumont Hardware.  Ruomour is according to them the Town Board)  are still looking at closing off parking on Pt Salubrious for the winter entirely .

Bottom Line - Chaumont Bay has been a great producer of Perch this season , but it isnt " Walker Friendly" .

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:27 PM »
the town has closed parking between the signs they are marked with flags on Pt Salubrious. I noticed the town doesn't want anyone to park there but they cant afford new signs because they must have just colored the sign in with a sharpie or they bought little stickers and just placed them on the other end of the arrows

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:57 PM »
if you have that many people coming to fish get the area business to help and support you  everyone from gas to coffee! fishermen like anyone else spend money! pointing fingers and making silly comments about lurkers and such is wasting your time! get a petition started get some area business to support you and you have a shot even suggest allowing  parking only on one side of road to help.
                                                                                                                             trap

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Bottom Line P.S. ... You would think that the town would research buying an available parcel along Pt. Salubrious as a long term solution to catering to the ice fishing crowd that walks. Make it available to single cars only ( no trailers) . 

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I'm not sticking up for the town, as I think they just dont' want to argue with the county highway super and he wants it closed. but they were adament at that town meeting that they know how much money comes in and they want it there. they (the town) and the DEC have been trying to secure a property to buy there, and along the 3 mile bay road, but none of the land owners want to sell.  I fished off cr 125 friday in that blizzard and followed the plow around the road first to see if he really had a problem, he didn't, even with some trucks parked there. they say they can't get through, but in reality they can't cet through WITH ALL OF THEIR BLADES DOWN AT ONCE. they want to plow the whole road in one swipe and not have to bother any other way. just plain lazy if you ask me. all the trucks were parked far enough off the road to not be in the way, and the plow would have had no trouble at all if he would lift that wing. then they can come back after dark when all the trucks are gone and really wing back the lake side of the road.
don't forget everyone, feb 11th at 630 pm is the next board meeting I hope the highway super is there, I've got some questions for him.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:43 PM »
http://nnymls.com/realtor/IDX2/summary.asp?Listing_ID=81104&id=656775677471686D76626F3D7564646975777872632B656E70&fn=22200962825

Hey Fishman - I hope you sick em on the 11th .  I live in near Syraucse , but I have a camp on Chippewa Bay.  Took a look at the Christiansen Realty Website and there are  several properties available on Three Mile Bay .  a link to one of them is above.

Offline uplfshrman8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I just read that the State has bought Bachy's Marina in 3 Mile Bay and is planning on turning that into a launch.  I have been going out from Long Point State Park because of the parking issues on Point Salubrious.  Definitely is a walk, but I enjoy the walk.  More people should walk instead of using the machines (sleds, quads, etc.).  Long Point has not been plowed as of recently so you have to walk from the road.

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:17 PM »
where is long point state park?

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:23 PM »
I have not been to chamount in quite awhile and was looking to head up if i could find a place to park. been fishing henderson with very little luck.  So some directions to long point state park would be helpful if there is enough room to park.  Hows the bite been up there?  Herd the fish have moved out deeper.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Gents - If you page up a few you will see my detailed directions to Long Point State Park . Essentially you are on Point Penninsula directly across from the Mainland.If you drew a line from the mainland slightly south of Three mile bay across Herrick Shoal it would touch Long Pt SP  on the other side.  It is about a 20 mile round trip back to town . If you have a GPS  it should be in there.   

The parking situation is great  at Long Pt , There are very few houses on the road outside the park and it is plowed out wide.   I was there last weekend and " someone" plowed a rude path down to the shore through the park .  I didnt go in there becuase I didnt know if a State Park Cop would come and harrass me, and I didnt want to get blocked in if more people showed up .  I think if everyone cooperated with a plan , this could be a great spot . Park an unload your sled or atv on the road  up top and drive in from there, or only use your vehicle to retrieve or drop off your stuff at the shore and come back to the main road to park .  Any way you slice it , be prepared for a workout if you are a walker ( as I am )

As for the fishing, a poster on here did say he was catching them out there by the pailfull at 30 FOW... I was at 17 FOW and 12 FOW and certainly didnt do as well as him .
The other thing about Long Point is that there are varied depth profiles to try and I think it has potential

I collected my share of parking tickets at Pt Solubrious and I am done there.  Rumour has it they have banned the parking there now anyway . Even if you could park there they have mounded up the banks so high that it is a pain in the ass to scale them and you risk getting a ticket for blocking a lane of traffic.

Give Long Pt  a try .....

Offline uplfshrman8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:57 AM »
You cal also park at the Chaumont Boat Launch which is right outside of the town.  This is a lot closer if you are coming from Watertown, Syracuse, etc.  Long Point is another half hour from there.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2009, 04:15 PM »
True - But again ,, not appealing to the walkers unless you are a triathelete !!   :embarassed:

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:14 PM »
there is a rumor that i heard that the state was offered land right next to the green barn and the state said that they did not want to purchase that much land (20acres) it was too much to take care of!!! the price was cheap too! 
that will make a nice sangwich!!!!!

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:21 PM »
So the town should buy it as a Return on Investment to keep money flowing into the town . No ?

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:15 AM »
sorry folks the green barn land thing was just a rumor. its actually a 300+ acre parcel that the owner will not subdivide. the price was reasonable, but too much for the available funds. or so I heard ;)

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Long pt is a great spot to get on the ice but be careful around the corner towards cherry island there is a natural current there . We have lost a great friend there a few years back when he went through with a snowmobile.There was plenty of ice that year but these areas of current and bad ice are there every year.BE CAREFUL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.