Author Topic: Underwater Fish Camera's  (Read 4170 times)

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater Fish Camera's
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:30 PM »
I am looking to buy an under waer fish camera for ice fishing but I don't know what kind to buy. Something good but under $250. Looking to hear some feedback for people who have one.

Thank you,

Jeff

Offline CDJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Underwater Fish Camera's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I got the FISH TV last year for Christmas and it works well. I have seen them in the sales paper for $139.00 this year. The one thing I like is that I use it winter and summer. The one thing I don't like is the battery life in the winter. The cold really zaps them but that is true of any battery operated device.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Really depends on what you plan to use the camera for.  In my experience they are not much for fishing.  We use ours simply to check bottom structure, find cribs, etc.  It is put away once we actually start fishing.  A flasher is the way to go when you line is wet. 

We have a low end Aqua view that works great for site location.  The only other time we throw the camera down is if there are numerous fish on the flahser that will not bite.  We might throw it down to see what species we are dealing with and/or the size of said fish.

Good luck and good fishing.

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:50 PM »
I was with one of my buddys fishing and he had one. we had a blast watching fish on it. i'm not really sure how thoughs flashers works?

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Try the Aqua view scout small lightweight unit.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Try the Aqua view scout small lightweight unit.

that's what i have. its a great unit. look at the new aqua vu's though also. they're a little better than the scout i got last year as far as low light conditions work. i usually lose my picture about 15 minutes before dark. this model is much better than the fish tv and if u can spend about 250 like u said the scout model or the newer models should do te trick. i got mine for 179 i think brand new with warrenty of ebay last year. look at aqua vu's website too for more info.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:21 PM »
I hope you don't mind me cutting in for a few questions.

Just how far can you see with them?  I understand if there is stained water, heavy snow cover, as opposed to gin clear lake, no snow, sunshine, but under those varying conditions what is the field of view and distance you can see.  How is the clarity of what you actually see.

If you can actually see the fish working around you; why would the flasher be more efficient then the camera???????

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:35 PM »
You can only see if there is something there to see,  like fish, weeds, bottom, they work good most of the time if the water isn`t real bad Also you know what you are fishing for a lot of times you will be fishing for perch and the walleyes will be right in with them, I love the one I got it is a Marcum

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Expensive? ???

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:47 PM »
I've been seeing them from $100-$150.  I have heard (but don't really know) that cost is mostly size of screen, battery life, and warranty????  BUT If I knew I would be asking questions on your thread:)

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I meant the Marcum! I noticed!

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:00 PM »
what ever you get make sure it has the Sony camera with it, and for the price, Marcum is the Cadillac, I bought mine used 75.00 and I made a video when I was perch fishing with my boy open water, when we got home to watch it you couldn't`t believe it, walleye, bass, catfish, and a few others went buy the camera, right next to it, I gave a copy to a few people with aqua view and they couldn't`t believe the differences

Offline Feeling Crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:10 PM »
I have an OVS camera and I love it! I bought it 5 or 6 years ago for $300 the model number is VS 400. The camera can either put out no light, invisible infrared light, or high power lights. I've never had a problem with it and it works like the day I got it. I only use it in the winter but my friends have used it the summer time. I would highly suggest it, I've got other friends who bought the Aqua View and they are big fans of mine!
The best thing about ice fishing is that when you get on a good bite you don't have to worry about your beer getting warm!

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Ebay has some Marcums on bid from $100-350 buy it now

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I am looking to buy an under waer fish camera for ice fishing but I don't know what kind to buy. Something good but under $250. Looking to hear some feedback for people who have one.

Thank you,

Jeff

I have an aqua-vu scout 2......it is a nice toy to have so that you can really see the underwater world.......I paid 240 for it brand new last year...............I used to own the marcum line of cams but had many problems with them so I switched to the aqua-vu and so far no problems at all...........the best feature I think is that you dont have to hook up gator clips to charge the battery........it is all a self contained unit so the charger hook up is like the one to a cell phone........no wires to mix up no problems...........and for 240 you can't go wrong.......just my .02..........also Mills Fleet Farm has them on sale right now ;)

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Why do you consider it a toy instead of a tool??

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:14 PM »
because it is more of a toy than a tool........yeah it can help you figure out structure, bottom composition, many different things......but in the end its just another "toy"......and with having to always play around with a cable to set up the camera and then wrap it all back up and fumble around with it......by the time you are done getting it so that your lure or bait is centered on the screen it is a waste of time......don't get me wrong I love my camera it helps me out all the time but I usually leave it at home and take the flasher with.....if I was you I would think about getting a flasher before a camera...........

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:18 PM »
iluvcrappie, I have the same model, the anniversary edition with 50 ft cable and 7 in. screen. are our cameras supposed to work in the dark/low light. i always lose the pic about 15-30 minutes before dark and thought it was supposed to have invisible infared to help in the night?

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:22 PM »
because it is more of a toy than a tool........yeah it can help you figure out structure, bottom composition, many different things......but in the end its just another "toy"......and with having to always play around with a cable to set up the camera and then wrap it all back up and fumble around with it......by the time you are done getting it so that your lure or bait is centered on the screen it is a waste of time......don't get me wrong I love my camera it helps me out all the time but I usually leave it at home and take the flasher with.....if I was you I would think about getting a flasher before a camera...........

Good answer.  I have seen guys say what you have said before. but never an explaination as to why.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Go with a flasher man! I used to own an Aqau-Vu, it was fun and nice when we got it setup but it's a real pain in the a$$ to set-up. After I bought my vexilar flasher I decided the Aqua0Vu was a waste of time and I sold it. Marcum makes a good flasher VX-1 for like 200 bucks. definetly won't regret buying a flasher, and you'll learn to use it very fast

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:29 PM »
iluvcrappie, I have the same model, the anniversary edition with 50 ft cable and 7 in. screen. are our cameras supposed to work in the dark/low light. i always lose the pic about 15-30 minutes before dark and thought it was supposed to have invisible infared to help in the night?

I can use my camera at night without a problem I can see just fine but my lure has to be within 10 feet of the camera in order to see it.......the biggest thing is with the lights on at night I think that it does more spooking fish than anything

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I can use my camera at night without a problem I can see just fine but my lure has to be within 10 feet of the camera in order to see it.......the biggest thing is with the lights on at night I think that it does more spooking fish than anything

i woulda thought the lights woulda attracted the fish?  mabey mae them a bit leery wondering what this ufo thing is doing in thier home :P??

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
I have one of the Cabelas cameras and though I haven't used it a whole lot I think it will work well to see how fish are reacting to your presentation. This camera has infrared lighing (a huge bonus) and the sony camera. The only pain is that the case doesn't hold the battery (it's external)
An even bigger bonus is the 5.5 inch is on sale right now for $99 and the 7 inch is on for $139
They even have one with a camera that pans so you don't need to fiddle with the cable. It's a little more spendy at $299 though.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat601245-cat21400_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat21400&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat21400&id=0043175

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:35 PM »
i bought a marcum vs380 camera last year it has the manta sony camera and 7" screen bought it towards the end of season from redrockstore for 220 and free shipping. works very well great picture.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the panning cameras by Cabelas?  How is the camera?  Will it work well towards evening or early a.m.?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the panning cameras by Cabelas?  How is the camera?  Will it work well towards evening or early a.m.?
i don't know about the cabelas panning cameras but i believe marcum does not offer them anymore. in my opinion i don't think that the little motorised parts would hold up well i think the bouncing around and cold would take its tole on them. if you get a regular camera make something like the camera compass makes like so much easier, i just say make your own because the camera compass will break too easy in the cold.

Offline boooshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:19 AM »
What does the Flasher do?

Offline jesse63b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:38 AM »
i bought a marcum vs380 camera last year it has the manta sony camera and 7" screen bought it towards the end of season from redrockstore for 220 and free shipping. works very well great picture.
Thats what I got last year and from the same place as you and even got the next day wich was a bonus as well

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I also have the Scout and can tell you that with 4 ft. of ice and snow cover, it's worthless without an attachable light!  The model I have utilizes infared lights for better vision without spooking fish, (supposedly) these don't compare with the LED lights!  The LED units see MUCH better under low light than the infared...  I was concerned at first about this poor performance, so I emailed Aqua Vu, and this is the reply I received.

"Thank you for the email.
An infrared light is a source of light that works best for daytime purposes.  The deeper in depth the camera is the less light penetrates through it's very possible that the camera is lacking light perhaps a underwater flood light would work well for your application."

I guess the point is if your fishing in the dark or have massive snow blocking your light penetration, this unit is useless without an attached light...  I was under the assumption that the infared wouldn't spook fish like the LED?  I guess the fish I "don't" see wouldn't be considered "spooked" eh!   

Some thoughts to ponder..... ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:56 AM »
The aqu  view is probably your best choice, I bought the one from cabela's and it works fine.  A lot depends on the depth and the amount of snow on the ice.  I had a hard time seeing any deeper than 15 feet.  They do save a lot of time and it's noce to see whats down there.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.