Author Topic: Underwater Fish Camera's  (Read 4168 times)

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater Fish Camera's
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:09 AM »
   I currently have an Aqua View Scout SRT.   Its a great unit , works good , has its limitations , but I still consider it a tool.  I recommend a flasher first , then a camera as funds allow. 

I fish a few deep very clear lakes for perch .   They can be very finicky and light biteres.  The camera allows me to see the perch mouth the bait and allow me to set the hook, before they spit it out.  They wont even jiggle a sping bobber , they usually swim right up to your jig , and look at it for a few seconds , they will then mouth the bait , then they will suck it in and spit it right out .   By the time your spring bobber moves they have spit it out.   The camera allows me to set the hook the secong they suck it in....

I think the Marcums are top of the line , and someday I hope to have one.   I used to be sold on aqua views down looking Pro , but the side view marcum , will aloow placing the camera outside the shack and positioning via the compass.  This will prevent tangles from having the camera in the same hole I fish....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Feeling Crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I still say that buying an Aqua View is kind of like buying a Ranger Boat. There is better quality out there for a better price but the name is supposed to be the so great. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure I just ruffled some feathers sorry.
The best thing about ice fishing is that when you get on a good bite you don't have to worry about your beer getting warm!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I also have the Scout and can tell you that with 4 ft. of ice and snow cover, it's worthless without an attachable light!  The model I have utilizes infared lights for better vision without spooking fish, (supposedly) these don't compare with the LED lights!  The LED units see MUCH better under low light than the infared...  I was concerned at first about this poor performance, so I emailed Aqua Vu, and this is the reply I received.

I guess the point is if your fishing in the dark or have massive snow blocking your light penetration, this unit is useless without an attached light...  I was under the assumption that the infared wouldn't spook fish like the LED?  I guess the fish I "don't" see wouldn't be considered "spooked" eh!   

Some thoughts to ponder..... ;)
Infrared lights are LED lights. They just use infrared LEDs which are invisible. Maybe the reason that AquaVU says that the units work better with an attached light is because they sell a light that attaches to the bottom of the camera.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:35 PM »
as far as lighting goes i am not convinced by any means that the led lights spook fish

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I read some posts in the past in which people have said that when they turned their red and green LEDs on the Blue Gills would spook. I have infrared LEDs and they don't have any effect on fish.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Icedawg I guess I should have been more specific.  Some have LED lights (green and red diode) and others have the Infrared LED lights.  Figured I better not confuse anyone else...  I know about the attachable light, but can't imagine a glaring LED white light would improve the catch rate for spooky fish.  Why develop a infrared system that won't spook fish but is pretty much worthless in the dark?  :-\ 
As for the infrared working in low light?  I'm not buying it!  After talking to the sales representative, he (in a round about way) stated it was a design flaw for low to no light useage.  This is what led to the development of the "hammerhead" design that you now see on the newer versions.  I didn't dig into the design of the newer units due to sleep deprivation, but it's suppose to increase visibility in lower light conditions.  I'm STILL not buying into this new design as a nightime or low light tool for fishing until some of our Shanty members test cruise it first. :D 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:00 AM »
i bought a marcum vs380 camera last year it has the manta sony camera and 7" screen bought it towards the end of season from redrockstore for 220 and free shipping. works very well great picture.

Have been pricing these all year and my wife just got me one for Christmas (and retirement gift).  The BEST price we could find was redrockstore for $396.99 free shipping.  Went to the local Gander Mountain who had one left and they sold it to us for the same price as redrockstore.  There normal price is now $399.99 and most retailers are $419.99.  Must be all the new features Nature Vision put on them when they bought out Marcum ::) :o

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:21 AM »
One of our cameras has the infra-red LED's and one has the red & green LED's. The fish have no clue with the infra-red's but if I have fish (any kind) and I hit those red & greens, they scatter like you will not believe! It's really quite funny, they absolutely hate it when you do that! That is really helpful when a pike comes through that has driven your panfish out. The fish will come in if the lights are already on but if you want to scare them right out of their shorts ... hit the lights.   >:D

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #38 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I can say that the infrared lights do scare fish........I have had my camera in the water with the lights on and can't get a bite and guys that are sitting 10yds away are hammerin fish............I pull up my camera and boom it is like someone hit a switch and told the fish to bite because I couldn't hardly keep my line in the water............so IMO the lights on the camera if they are red/blue or red/green or even white do have some sort of affect on how fish bite............

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:57 PM »
The cameras need to become lighter, more durable, better cable storage, and better video quailty  IMO

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #40 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I agree with that 100% they should come up with a better system to store the cable and camera as far as picture I have a 7" monitor and it is clear as a bell..........no fuzz or anything in the screen........really helps to turn down the contrast as it gets darker outside.........it seems like you turn it down so the screen isnt so bright that you dont need to turn the lights on as soon

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Icedawg I guess I should have been more specific.  Some have LED lights (green and red diode) and others have the Infrared LED lights.  Figured I better not confuse anyone else...  I know about the attachable light, but can't imagine a glaring LED white light would improve the catch rate for spooky fish.  Why develop a infrared system that won't spook fish but is pretty much worthless in the dark?  :-\ 
As for the infrared working in low light?  I'm not buying it!  After talking to the sales representative, he (in a round about way) stated it was a design flaw for low to no light useage.  This is what led to the development of the "hammerhead" design that you now see on the newer versions.  I didn't dig into the design of the newer units due to sleep deprivation, but it's suppose to increase visibility in lower light conditions.  I'm STILL not buying into this new design as a nightime or low light tool for fishing until some of our Shanty members test cruise it first. :D 
Personally, I really don't think any of them work real well after dark. I have had guys tell me that they can see a bit better in low light conditions with the red and green spectrum LEDs. I have also been told that when there are Blue Gills in the area and they turn the spectrum lights on the gills take off like a shot. I have the infrafed Leds and I just pull my camera up when it gets too grainy to see. I have always thought that if a fish wants to feed after dark it will figure out a way to get the job done.I built a Lunkercam years ago and put a very good quality camera in it with nine infrared LEDs and I couldn't see any better during low light conditions than I can with my Aquavu. Good luck on the ice. Hopefully I may get back out one of these fine days.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.