The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Ice  (Read 41002 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Boysen Ice
« Reply #210 on: Feb 27, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Can someone tell me how early the bait shops open in Shoshone on Saturday? I would greatly appreciate it.
I'll have my radio on if anyone wants to give a shout out.

Thanks,
MM
we called the owner at walkers bait the night before and he sent a guy down to meet us on monday morning at 6am. they were even closed for the day! i don't have the number but there is also a note on the front door if i remember right with his number.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #211 on: Feb 27, 2009, 10:59 AM »
we called the owner at walkers bait the night before and he sent a guy down to meet us on monday morning at 6am. they were even closed for the day! i don't have the number but there is also a note on the front door if i remember right with his number.

Walkers will go out of their way for ya

The number to the shop is 307-876-2345
His cell number is 307-231-1194

Hope that helps

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #212 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Feb 27, 2009, 01:07 PM »
i'll be out there tomorrow with a bright red suit. don't think i have a radio that works though
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Hesding out to boysen soon too bad we wont be able to make it before dark.  We will be in a white F-150 with my buddy's green 4-wheeler.  Good luck to all who are out this weekend stop by and say hi there might be a cold one in it for you.
Zack

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Feb 27, 2009, 05:39 PM »
good luck this weekend let us know how you do.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:14 PM »
i'll be out there tomorrow with a bright red suit. don't think i have a radio that works though
i'm usually in a bright orange suit that says "Correctional Facility" across the back...  :whistle:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #217 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:08 AM »
 :woot: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :callcops:

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 28, 2009, 05:56 PM »
now thats funny right there ;D

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Feb 28, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Do you think the ice will stay around for a while up there?     100TH POST                                             

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Feb 28, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Boysen ices off north to south, so the ice nearest the dam and upper boat launch will get thin first. Also, the bays around the Sissies, ice over shallow water will heat up and get thin pretty quickly while ice will stay good over deeper water for longer. Problem is how easy it is to find a hot spring in a few feet of water.  :woot: Basically yeah,  we prob'ly have a few more weeks of fairly good ice, after that...maybe not so much.  ;)  Don LT ISM congrats on 100th post Hump :thumbsup:

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:32 AM »
Hey guys,
Wanting to try Boysen one more time this year.  Going to take my future son-in-law and would like to get him hooked on ice fishing.  Would love to catch a ling since I've never caught one and maybe a couple wally's or perch.  Anyone got any tips.  It's two hundred fifty miles from my home to Boysen so if anyone has the latest ice report it might save me a long drive if the ice gets bad soon. Man I'm not ready for ice season to be over but there is little ice to be found here near Guernsey :( 
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #222 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:55 AM »
I was at Boysen yesterday, 10-14" of good Ice.  I couldn't find any fish, well that would bite.  May try to get back up that way before the Ice goes out.  Is it just me or has the bite just about stopped?  Did anyone have any luck at Boysen this weekend?  I fished around Muddy and Trout bay, got a perch and had on a BIG Trout that wanted nothing to do with coming through the Ice and got away before I could get a good look at her.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Fished trout bay for 12 hours Saturday. Plenty of good ice, 18+ inches. had a school of those bait-stealing perch come through about 4pm. Before that only had one bite, about a 20in. rainbow. then around 5 had a flag that yielded my first catfish through the ice. I thought they would be a good fight, but it was like pulling in a tree limb, even came up the hole first try. played with the aqua-vu a lot and saw a walleye at about 50 feet, and another catfish sitting right next to one of my holes, but never could get it to even show interest for 4hours, then it was gone.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #224 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Hey guys,
Wanting to try Boysen one more time this year.  Going to take my future son-in-law and would like to get him hooked on ice fishing.  Would love to catch a ling since I've never caught one and maybe a couple wally's or perch.  Anyone got any tips.  It's two hundred fifty miles from my home to Boysen so if anyone has the latest ice report it might save me a long drive if the ice gets bad soon. Man I'm not ready for ice season to be over but there is little ice to be found here near Guernsey :( 

My father-in-law tried to take me "ice fishing" one time just before I married his daughter. Funny, there was only 1" of ice on the lake at that time. I didn't fall for it :D

There's still lots of ice on Boysen, but we had a very slow day Saturday.

bbkyle35, it was nice to meet you. When I saw the cat pic I thought you actually caught that lazy cat we saw sitting on the bottom with your camera.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #225 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:14 PM »
BTW, the guys at Walkers seemed like pretty good guys and have a nice little store.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:24 PM »
BTW, the guys at Walkers seemed like pretty good guys and have a nice little store.
Walkers ROCKS!!!  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:55 PM »
i tried hard for that one, used every trick i knew. it would have been cool to watch it hit with the camera.
nice meetin you too. we will have to plan a trip to bull soon.

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
« Reply #228 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Had a Ling look right in the lighted aqua-view last year as I'm jiggin' my lure right in front of it - didn't hit it though.  Tried South Muddy yesterday. got in about 4:30 in afternoon- not a flag by 9:00 this morning 6',8',11',16',21',&24'.  Same spot we pulled two 6+ pound walleyes last year along with numerous ling and perch...this year, nothing.  If number of fishermen on the ice is any indicator, I should have tried Tough Creek. I didn't get up to the sisters to see the numbers there.  Anybody have any luck this weekend?  I still may try to kill some minnows if the fishing picks up.
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Fished Boysen 24 straight hours from 9:00 Friday night to 9:00 Saturday.  2 bites!  Got the first bite on a jigging rod just before dark on Saturday up north where we have done well before and he just took my minnow.  Our first flag came at about 7:00 pm on Saturday.  I had too much adreline stored up due to the 20 hours of fishing without a flag tried to horse him and ended up breaking him off.  It was the heaviest fish i have ever had on a tip-up.  Figured it was a big cat, had to have been big enough to eat the 5 inch minnow i had down there.

It was a strange weekend.  We fished several areas that we had caught fish before or knew that people had caught fish recently but the fish didn't seem to be moving around at all.  Until the evening we only marked a handfull of fish all day.

Not the best way to end my Wyoming ice fishing career but we sure as heck tried.

Zack

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Me and the duck will be at tough creek tomarrow if anyone wants to show up (last chance LT)

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:28 PM »
one thing i have learned thanks to the in-fisherman guys, is use big stuff. I rarely have any minnows on less than 4inches, and i still even catch perch. why would a fish spend three times as much energy to get some two inch minnows when it can catch one 5in. The table i saw was that the maximum size bait a fish will try to eat is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the fishes length.

Basically, I say no minnow is to big, i've used up to 7-8in. in boysen.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Well me and the duckman decided to stay home and fish the river tomarrow suposed be windy over at Boysen tomarrow. Warm weather and wind aint good for ice I think I will put my ice stuff on the shelf for this season.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Well, today was the last wa-hoo for me before I head out on my southern fishing vacation, but I picked up 30 keeper perch, 7 nice bass all over 15" (C&R all the bass) and a nice fat ling. Fer a last wa-hoo, not too shabby. Here's a few pics. Don                LT/ISM  ;D :tipup:

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Great last day Don!! I will be hitting that spot next season! ;)

Let me know about the ice out trip at Bull.

Erik
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Roger that Erik, I may go over and look at it tomorrow...seems all the smaller lakes are well....it's about that time. Don
                                                                      LT/ISM   ;D

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #236 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:30 AM »
Hey Don, way to go on your last outing,I wished I would have gotten out last weekend but I had to much fun Friday nite and that ruined my weekend fun.LOL
This weekend I am putting all the hardwater equipment away and I am gonna start cleaning the boat up and getting all that gear ready to go.2 weeks ago I was praying to God for more cold weather but now I am asking him to forget that and bring on SPRING.I am excited to get the boat out.
Randy

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Roger that, me too brother, the Lowe went over for a new tilt/trim, elec anchor hoist and his SHOTS...we're READY!!!!!!!!!!!              Yep, todays the day everything gets tweaked and stowed. Don        LT/ISM  ;D

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Nice catch LT ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Thanks Marv, hey post some river pics if ya do good, Don  :tipup:  LT/ISM