Author Topic: Bait tank (pix!)  (Read 12826 times)

Offline daiek11

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait tank (pix!)
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:41 AM »
So ive had an old 30 gallon aquarium laying around for some time. I decided that this ice season, id make good use of it. A buddy helped me move it into the garage, we set it up and let it run for a week. Yesterday we went to the bait shop and got a few dozen emeralds. What do you guys think?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bait tank (pix!)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Great use of something laying around.  We did that back in college on a tight budget.  Kept bait alive for a long time.  Just remember to change out the water from time to time and keep a bubbler running on them. 
Also we threw snow in 2 or 3 times a day to keep the water colder.  It seemed to help keep the little buggers alive longer.

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Nice! Your garage must be heated.
Death from above

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Its always good to utilize something you already have. Makes a nice setup. Looks like you have an undergravel filter in there right? I would keep the water cold so the minnows last long. I wouldn't use the heater unless it gets below freezing in the garage.

Offline daiek11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Its always good to utilize something you already have. Makes a nice setup. Looks like you have an undergravel filter in there right? I would keep the water cold so the minnows last long. I wouldn't use the heater unless it gets below freezing in the garage.

The garage isnt heated, i keep the heater on low and the water stays at a fairly constant 45 degrees.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:56 AM »
  That looks good to me .   makes good use of thing that are just sitting around .

I have a buddy with a setup like that in an unheated shed . He runs his heater on the lowest setting and it just keeps it above freezing on the coldest days . I has work good for him for years .

Good job

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:21 PM »
I wonder how long the baits gonna last without food

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I wonder how long the baits gonna last without food
Providing the water is cold..  they need very little if any food...

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Providing the water is cold..  they need very little if any food...
Yeah i got a 10 gallon tank in my garage too.. and can keep a couple dozen minnows alive half the summer on no food..

but i tried rocks and think they make the water dirty faster.. and id lke to add that you'll probably want a water filter if you dont already have one.. unless you dont mind if you cant see anything in your tank through the smog.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Toss a few crappie in that tank and watch the bait go bye bye

Offline daiek11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Yeah i got a 10 gallon tank in my garage too.. and can keep a couple dozen minnows alive half the summer on no food..

but i tried rocks and think they make the water dirty faster.. and id lke to add that you'll probably want a water filter if you dont already have one.. unless you dont mind if you cant see anything in your tank through the smog.

ive got an undergravel filter. do you think thats sufficient or should i try another kind?

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I dont know.. ive never heard of that.. if it keeps your water clean for the first month or first couple months you should be fine but if not.. look for the one that sucks the water out the pures it back out through a filter.. for now you should be fine though..

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I have 2 small gold fish ponds and made my own filter.
Water is pumped from the bottom of the pond to a small plastic tub and a difuser in the top of the tub.
Water showers down thru a blue furnace filter with a good layer of Lava rocks underneath.
Lava rocks are very porous and provide the necessary bacteria bed to keep the water healthy and clean.
Water comes out to the filter tub and gravity feeds back into the ponds.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:01 PM »
under gravel systems do work,  pulls water down through the gravel where the nasty stuff can break down..  But it does also use the gravel as a filter..  if you have a lot of fish you may need to clean your gravel after a cpl weeks  ..  They make gravel cleaners for this..  easy to do.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:06 PM »
The furnace filter catches a lot of dertritus (Dirt) and I wash it out about once a month.
As for the lava rock washed 2 maybe 3 times a year.
That's it! Water stays nice and clear.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I have had aquariums for years and the under gravel filter is the worst thing you can use, it sucks all the fish poop and left over food if you feed them down into the gravel.  Remove the under gravel filter and for that mater the gravel, a bare bottom is the easiest to keep clean.   

All you need is a cheap hang on filter.  You can get them for less than 20.00, I would also add an air pump and air stone.

Check Ebay for a Penguin 150.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I like to toss something in the tank to give them some "cover" and a place to get away from any currents in the tank.  Something like a coffee can with the bottom taken out.  Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning before putting it in.  This lets the minnows rest so they aren't having to swim all the time.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:46 PM »
I've thought about that too because i dont know if its my filter or what but somethings making a little current in my tank and they are constantly swimming..

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:32 AM »
ive got an undergravel filter. do you think thats sufficient or should i try another kind?

I don't have any experience with undergravel filters. I prefer to use a Marineland filter with the biowheel. These filters really help keep the water crystal clear. I would buy a filter slightly oversize for your tank because of all the fish in the tank, they produce a lot of waste.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:32 AM »
I use the bathtub in our extra bathroom just change the water every few days and I keep my bait alive all year

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I just finished my tank 260 gallons :o
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Sweeeet!

Offline smulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I have a 20 gal set up very similar to the one in the garage. It kept a pint of mummies alive for the whole season last year.   I will put up a pic if I can figure out how to work the camera. 
"All men are equal before fish" - Herbert Hoover

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:12 AM »
i have a fifty five gallon jammy in the basement. i actually have minnows from last years ice season swimming around.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:44 AM »
i wish we could do that in ny but we have a 2 week limit on our bait after that we have to throw it away and start over

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:50 AM »
How do they know how old bait is?  ???
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:15 AM »
you have to keep a receipt on you at all times if they check you and you dont have it they will dump your bait and give you a ticket if you have the receipt and it is over the 2 weeks same thing dumped bait and a huge fine.  ??? :'( :'(

DennyB

« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:41 AM »
i wish we could do that in ny but we have a 2 week limit on our bait after that we have to throw it away and start over

Whats the purpose of that?

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:43 AM »
you have to keep a receipt on you at all times if they check you and you dont have it they will dump your bait and give you a ticket if you have the receipt and it is over the 2 weeks same thing dumped bait and a huge fine.
That doesn't make any sense at all ???, I guess it is NY though :whistle:
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:44 AM »
it is to try and stop the baitfish disease cr^p

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.