Author Topic: Bait tank (pix!)  (Read 12819 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bait tank (pix!)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:24 PM »
The main reason is to try and combat Viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS)

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ceah/cei/taf/emergingdiseasenotice_files/vhsgreatlakes.htm

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:43 PM »

my first tank. 55 gallons.i caught 38 shiners ,1 pout, 4 crayfish. I can still fit more but i haven't had anymore luck.So now this will be my storage for minnows in between trips. :icefish:

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:45 PM »

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:24 PM »
in a plastic bag in the pail...

no live bait fish allowed here...

would be nice to use it.

good luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I have 2 small gold fish ponds and made my own filter.
Water is pumped from the bottom of the pond to a small plastic tub and a difuser in the top of the tub.
Water showers down thru a blue furnace filter with a good layer of Lava rocks underneath.
Lava rocks are very porous and provide the necessary bacteria bed to keep the water healthy and clean.
Water comes out to the filter tub and gravity feeds back into the ponds.

Seadog you realy shouldnt use lava rocks in your filter. The rocks will raise your PH to well over 8.0 Goldfish need it around 7.0 so your hurting your fish..

Invest in some "bio balls" They work the same way as your lava rocks do but will not alter the PH level.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Unfortunatly, all the bait in the picture on daiek11 post died  >:(   Couple dead ones clogged the filter/ bubbler mechasnism i guess and they all died. Next project is turning that tank from a bait tank, to a trophy gill or perch tank

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Here is a picture of mine. Pretty simple but it works..
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:14 AM »
That is a big tank Ron after I saw it in person yesterday I realize you are crazy for bait that thing is huge. Nice job building it :tipup:

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Unfortunatly, all the bait in the picture on daiek11 post died  >:(   Couple dead ones clogged the filter/ bubbler mechasnism i guess and they all died. Next project is turning that tank from a bait tank, to a trophy gill or perch tank

No way in hell will a trophy fish fit in that tank. 30g isnt even big enough for a 6" gill.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I went out today got two dozen shinners used half of them and came home with them. I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 yellow perch fingerlings that range from 3 maybe 4 inches and a 4 inch channel cat.I am trying to save them for next week. So I let them sit in the water in a bag get them adjusted. Now these shinners are 2.5 inchs so the minute I let them in one perch snags one and I'm like crap he's going to have a tail hanging out of his mouth for a week. Then ten minutes later the other perch gets one. Then the catfish is trying to get one and the smaller perch but the mouths are too small. Anyone else ever put there minnows in s tank with other fish? Whoever wants to put that trophy perch in a 30 gallon I'm sorry but there is no way not enough space trust me I want three trophys in mine when they grow up but I might need a bigger tank you really want anything over 55 gallons.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:05 PM »
I had a 8" gill and a 7" bass in a 40 gal in the living room the gill killed the bass.

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:03 PM »
I'm planning to try and catch a few perch and grow em HUGE, maybe get a separate tank for a small pike throw in a few minnows and watch the show lol ;D

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Any recommendations for an inexpensive 10 gal tank/filter/heater kit?

Offline pikeaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2009, 01:13 PM »
i do the same thing with an old 55 gal tank i had worked great all winter

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #44 on: Sep 13, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I had a 8" gill and a 7" bass in a 40 gal in the living room the gill killed the bass.
used to have that gill in my tank lol my brother would get a few in him and call me mush mouthed and say I got a fish here to take on the gill a ciclid i think.  The gill lived in a 20 gallon tank full of crawdads and amazon frogs.  Brother proceeds to bring the ciclid, drops it in the tank, immediately the gill pounces on it, no need to discuss the rest of the story. Dejected, brother went to cry in his beer!  Out of the blue, I get another call weeks later, it's my brother again, all mush mouthed.  I got a fish here and I don't want to hear any whining, I'm bringing him up!  He brings up a fish behind his back, he said 'you're going to be crying, your gill is done'. He pulls out a pirahna, drops it in the tank, you know the end of this story.  Brother starts to cry, get it out, get it out, its a 30 buck fish!  Same story, brother went to cry in his beer!  Thanks for bringing up an old memory! 
Mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:15 PM »
This is a picture of my bait tank, neat and tidy, did you notice the tidy cat post filter? Lol!

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Sep 22, 2009, 10:28 AM »
you got a nice set there i have trouble segregating the big chubs from the crappie bait did install a 5 gallon water jug in the bung hole everything is self contained 500gph pump and bio filter plus 5 air stones        mo

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Here is my tank 2009...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2009, 04:47 PM »

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:18 AM »
You like that, I have a plastic pond if you want it let me know.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:05 PM »
You like that, I have a plastic pond if you want it let me know.

I'll take the tank you have.  just have to move up there before I take posesion ... Get a job up there, sell my house, load the truck and I'll be there........and convince the wife we are moving ...O' never mind... ::) ::)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #51 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I set up a 20 gallon this week that was in the basement, everything worked, so I bought a net, and headed to the boat ramp. First dip I got about 4-5 dozen shiners, and took them home and put them in the tank. I looked at them the next day, and noticed the filter wasn't running, so I took it out, and there was 2 dead minnows in the intake tube. In the mean time the water is getting dirty, so today I bought a new filter, and in about an hours time the water was clean, and the filter was dirty. I dipped more minnows tonight, I think I have to many in the 20 gallon, I'll see how they act, if there's too many, I'll get a bigger tank.
  DasRottweiler I like your setup I have a plastic 55 gallon drum in my barn I may convert to a bait tank.

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Here is mine. A 35gal drum i got for $1. Its got some chubs in it now.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #53 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:36 AM »
you guys definetly have some great tanks!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.