Author Topic: Back from Canada with pics!  (Read 6698 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Back from Canada with pics!
« on: Nov 28, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Well, now that Thanksgiving is over and all the deer are in the freezer, I can take some time to talk about the 4 most amazing days I have spent in the woods!

This will be quite long but it was quite the adventure! I drove out to my folk's house on Tuesday morning. I dropped off Rhys in Townsend Vt and continued on arriving at my folk's at noon time. I had the itch to hunt so bad that I unpacked my gear and loaded the .260. I went out through the horse pasture and jumped a buck out of his bed. I could not get a clean shot but had him in the scope. I knew that if I killed a deer that afternoon, I would screw us up and we would not be able to leave on time the following morning. I went back in the house.

I went to bed around 8pm but I could not sleep. I was up at 2 and watched deer hunting on TV until my folks got up.  We drove to Derby Line Vt where a friend met us to follow us up. We made the 10hr trek northeast and arrived on the Gaspe Penninsula where we would spend the night. Our flight was due to take off at 9am the following morning. Again, early to bed without any sleep.

We arrived at the airport and were delayed 5hrs due to dangerous weather on the island. Pops was pretty upset!  We ended up taking off and arrived on the island around 2pm. We had a 2hr drive to camp and would not be able to shoot our guns that night. In the morning we had an early start and were able to check our guns before we went out.

The spot we were hunting was a 2hr wheeler ride into. We saw many deer on the way in including a big rack 8pt that no one could get a shot at.  Our guide and the 4 of us, met up and made a plan. My folks were to hunt high on the river while the 3 of us would go down into the river bed and hunt. We split and made our way down into the river. My friend and I saw a 3pt that we both passed on.

This is where the story gets good!

My friend was about 100 yards behind the guide and I was about 200yds back behind my friend. The theory was, the deer would see the guide and pay attention to him. My friend would then be presented for a shot. Well, I was taking up the tail and noticed a deer that was on the other side of the river. I put the glasses on it and instantly noticed it was a big deer but I could not see antlers. I took three steps back and that is when I saw one antler! It was huge!  I put the deer in the scope and did not have a rest. I steadied and fired. The deer came unglued and took off! I put another round in the gun and started across the river to see the buck running toward my buddy and he took a shot, but missed. I cotinued to the spot the deer was at and found a bed but no hair.  The 3pt then jumped right over the top of me and scared the crap out of me. He stood 10' from me but I did not shoot it. A little bit of tracking and I found some blood on the snow from my buck.

We both saw where the deer went into the woods and we both marked it.  I took the track while the guide and my buddy circled around to see if my buck came out of the woods on the other side. All of a sudden I heard a shot and a rack buck ran right up to me about 30' away. I could see blood coming out of the deer on the shoulder and told my buddy I was going to watch his deer die. His deer went out of sight and we regrouped. We took his track and I spotted his deer again. He fired and the deer took off.

I picked up my track and found my deer bedded down but all I could see was one eye and an antler. I chose to back out of the woods and let him lie.  We then decided to leave both bucks alone and would come back in a little bit to check.  The guide wanted to check another spot with the other guy so I took a stand near the two bucks to watch if one of them came out.  About 15 minutes on stand, a buck came out. I watched it for a bit and there was no signs of this buck being wounded. I cranked my scope up to 9x and took a broadside shot at 50 yards. The deer took off and went straight up a cliff. He made it to the top and went down, all the way down. He rolled and tumbled about 150' down this cliff and stopped almost at my feet!  This buck turned out to be a 5 pointer

My first 5pt with the cliff in the back

We loaded up my buck and continued down the river. We saw a doe running as fast as she could toward us. Right behind her was a nice rack buck!  My buddy nailed him and it turned out to be a nice 10pt!

We then went back to where the other two bucks were to track them. It was early in the morning still and we knew we had time enough to not rush these deer. We followed up one deer and found it bedded on the inside of some spruce on the edge of the river. That buck turned out to be my buddy's 8pt. I did not get a good picture of this buck but it is the one on the front of the wheeler.

We picked up my track and found that my buck had got up and left the country. We tracked him for 3 hrs and found 4 beds, each with less and less blood. There is no doubt in my mind that this buck will live. He went up through the nastiest stuff you could imagine. He went over 1 mile and we saw him one more time.

We were running out of time and we still had a 2hr ride back.  On the way back, it was snowing hard! It was a deer hunter's dream. We rounded a corner and about 110yrs out I saw a buck with antlers visable to the naked eye. I knew I had 3 days left to hunt but I wanted to spend a day each with my mom and dad. I then loaded my gun and rested it on a spruce. The deer took a jump and I fired hitting him in the heart. He went 20 yards and piled up!

This buck turned out to be another 5pt.

So my buddy and I were both tagged out on the first day.

The guide had not had anyone tag out on the first day this year, let alone two hunters in the same day.

The guide wanted this pic:

So with the guns put away and the three of us still amazed by the day's events, we upped the pace to catch my parents. We caught up to them and my father had a buck on his wheeler.

I cut my father off so he would only see the buck on my front. He thought that was pretty neat until I pulled forward and he saw my second buck. Then I pulled right in front of him so my buddy could pull up. My father saw his 8pt and shook his head. Then my dad spotted the 10pt on the back. My father called us some pretty colorful names that are along the lines of "you game hogs."

So we all were happy. We got to the meat house and exchanged the stories. As it turns out, my mom was the only one in our group to not shoot a deer that day. She had her chances but passed because they were not the shots she wanted to take.

At the meat house: L to R: My two 5pts. My buddy's 10pt. My father's 4pt. My mom with my buddy's 8pt

The next day, my buddy and I asked if we could tag along with my folks. They were ok with it and we went out. There were 60+km winds and it was snowing hard. It was honestly blizzard conditions.  We were not out very long when we spotted a buck. My mother settled the crosshairs and down the buck went.  I blew out my back dragging the buck.

We saw 25 deer before we were called in because of unsafe conditons.  While at the lodge, I had all I could do to move and spent 2hrs on the floor.

The conditions cleared and we went back out. Right off the bat, my father downed this 7pt at about 80yrds with a Savage 99 with a 2x scope!  My dad is now tagged out!

We loaded that deer up and continued hunting. 45 minutes later, we spot a rack buck. My mother raises her gun and is getting blown pretty hard and she could not keep the gun steady. The buck takes off, and makes about 7 jumps and POW! Down he goes! My mother shot that buck on a dead run and flopped him!

The deer was trying to get up and I ran up to him. I grabbed him by the horn and the wrestling match began. I pinned the buck down and he was later dispatched.

Now my mother is tagged out!

If you look at the right side of the neck, just below the white patch, you can see the exit hole!

My folk's with their final two deer.

This hunt was seriously amazing!

My folks came out to NY for Thanksgiving with Laine and I. My mom helped me cut one deer and Laine helped with the other!

And to the best end to such a trip....My first Thanksgiving with Laine!  What a meal!

Some other pics that I took while in the woods deer hunting:

Offline sarniajeff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I feel so normal here!!!!!!
Re: Back from Canada with pics!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Awesome story!!!!!
Thanx for sharin.
It's great to see the whole family involved and enjoying the outdoors.
Too Cool!!!!

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2008, 02:59 PM »
yes   definitly   thanx   4   sharin     dont   get    much  better  than   that   exept   for  the  whole  back  thing   right

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Wow! What a cool report. You are a lucky man to have the family so involved. Thanks for sharing! ;D

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:08 PM »
wow that looks like it was an awesome trip congrats to all of you !!!!!!oh and welcome back hopfully your return will pump a little life back into our forum its been quiet around here ..looks like you guys were set up pretty nice on your trip...

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Congratulations to you and your family. That's what its all about !!
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Nice DD, memories the family will share.
Priceless......

JIGGIN.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Looks like a awesome trip! Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:18 PM »
WOW  :o Great report and shooting. Some quality bucks for sure  :D
Andrew

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2008, 05:52 PM »
That is the trip of a life time. Congrats to all. Looks like there will be plenty of venison for the outing.

Yup....my folks have put 5 deer in the freezer so far this year and I now have two.  We made over 50lbs of sausage and have right around 30lbs of backstrap/loins and steak!

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2008, 05:59 PM »
sounds like it was a really great trip, nice pics-thanks
kjb

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2008, 06:07 PM »
How do you EVER top that trip.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2008, 06:16 PM »
How do you EVER top that trip.

You really can't!  There were 20 people in camp and we killed 40 deer!  The rut was just ending and the migration just beginning.  There were even guides killing deer!

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2008, 08:07 AM »
 That looks like a ton of fun. Where did you go. My dad and I where looking on the Internet yesterday for a place to go next year. We where thinking somewhere around the Lake of the Woods in Ontario but the price they want per person at the place's we looked at where way out of our budget. Do you know any place's with reasonable rates.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Wow that was an awesome story with some GREAT pics!!!!  Canada is an awesome place to be! I cant wait to go back next september.  What part of canada where you in, and also, what kind of meat grinder is that and how does it work?  Congrats on the deer, thats a sweet faimily vacation!

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:00 AM »
great trip. is that a kitchen aid mixer with the grinder attachment. does it work good.

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:28 AM »
We went to Anticosti Island and used Sepaq as our outfitter. The cost was around 4k per hunter for a 4 day hunt. You do not have to hunt with the guide but he has become a family friend and it was great to be with him.

The grinder is a Kitchen Aid attatchment. It works good but is slow. I did both my deer with it. We made steaks out of the backstraps and loins. All the rest we boned and ground into sausage. It was slow but worked fine.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Welcome Back Ben!

Great Pics and Report!

Really glad to hear that You and the folks had a great trip and a Nice Thanksgiving :)

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Great trip, Ben.  Sure to provide a lifetime of memories!

I was expecting to see ICEFISHING pics not hunting. HAHA!

Topic moved to :www.myhuntingforum.com   ;D
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:40 AM »
 Man thats alot of coin to spend on a whitetail hunt. I don't want to take anything away from your trip, and those are some great bucks but If I paided that kind of money for a hunt I would expect some higher class bucks.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Man thats alot of coin to spend on a whitetail hunt. I don't want to take anything away from your trip, and those are some great bucks but If I paided that kind of money for a hunt I would expect some higher class bucks.

They are up there. We chose to pull the trigger on bucks that made US happy.  The 4k includes gas/meals/hotel/plane/and hunting licenses.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2008, 01:27 PM »
oh, so you got a little trigger happy. Is it cheaper if you decide you don't want a guide and pretty much just want to use there cabins and land.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2008, 02:42 PM »
oh, so you got a little trigger happy. Is it cheaper if you decide you don't want a guide and pretty much just want to use there cabins and land.

nobody was trigger happy.

There are american plans and european plans. I am not sure which one is cheaper but there every group of 4 people has a guide. They tell you which area you are going to hunt each day. whether or not the guides hunt with you is your choice.

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:01 PM »

It just isn't the money, it's the whole experience. Memories like we have from that hunt can NOT be bought. Wife and I have been doing this for 5 years. #6 coming up. Ben is a little strong on the cost. You pay extra to hunt in November because of the rut. I have yet to find a good recipe for horns. You must have to boil the heck out of them to get them tender enough to swallow. ;D ;D ;D
Times have NOT changed. PEOPLE have!!!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:14 PM »
It just isn't the money, it's the whole experience. Memories like we have from that hunt can NOT be bought. Wife and I have been doing this for 5 years. #6 coming up. Ben is a little strong on the cost. You pay extra to hunt in November because of the rut. I have yet to find a good recipe for horns. You must have to boil the heck out of them to get them tender enough to swallow. ;D ;D ;D

Haaahaaa, Nooooo you're supposed to use em' to stir the stew....beter than a wooden spoon ;) :laugh:
Glad ya had a good time.   ;)2  Welcome back LBK :)

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:09 PM »
that ten is high class buck for anticosti,the others arnt far behind. it aint iowa skippy.
horns grow from nutrients not hunter dreams and desires
or money spent

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:23 PM »
filling tags isnt trigger happy, you cant do it in iowa, thats why sports go to anticosti.
so perhaps its not your cup of tee, dont waste your time or money then, stumble around nh and shoot the trees  ::)
useing a guide is mandatory in canada i belive, and you get a good area if you do, they have been going for a number of years, you can bet they get treated favorably by the outfit up there.
so what are you going to do, i belive dd wouldnt have had as much fun at disney world  ;D money and time well spent in my opinion  :laugh:

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:02 AM »
that ten is high class buck for anticosti,the others arnt far behind. it aint iowa skippy.
horns grow from nutrients not hunter dreams and desires
or money spent

OK Skippy, I know its not like a high fence hunt in Iowa  were you see dozens of 150+ class bucks under a feeder thats why I want to hunt up there some time because its actually hunting.  Like I said those are nice bucks, yes that ten is a nice deer and so are the rest. I understand its not all about the rack and more about the memories and time with the family.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:23 AM »

Your right once its done you will forget about the cost as its only money and you make more every day, but you will remeber the great time you had and the memories you shared.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.