The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Catching Bait!  (Read 17584 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Catching Bait!
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 10:35 PM »
Well guys, it's that time. How is everyone doing with the bait trapping?

How do you get them, in traps, nets, rod and reel, or do you just buy them?

What is your favorite bait to use to catch minnows?

Do you like to trap in rivers, or ponds?

My self, I have a bunch of traps and a throw net. I have found this year that the best bait to put in my traps is bread. We have been doing most of the trapping in rivers, now we are on a hot little pond holding Goldies. So we are going to turn most of our attention to that pond. We have had a few traps stolen and a few washed away in the rivers current. It's alot of work trapping bait, so be courtious to others and LEAVE traps alone that aren't yours. I am going to that small pond in the morning with a rod and reel to try for some bigger goldies.

If you guys are interested share your methods and technics with the rest of us.
No need to share your spots as I know how hard they are to find to begin with, Just share some of your knowladge with the ones trying to learn. I know most of us that trap were taught by someone. Or learned by listening to others.

Just be cautious of other peoples traps.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Re: Catching Bait!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:33 AM »
won't have my tank set up till next week,(picking it up monday, minimum 3 days running before i put bait in it)  but i'm gonna soak my trap for the 1st time tonight, just to see if the spot i scouted is as good as I think it is.  Bread as the bait.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Bread seems to be the bait of choice so far.What else do you use?

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008, 08:15 AM »
My son and i started trapping last weekend. We got 25 shiners in a 5hr soak. 1st time ever. next 2 days i got 9.
We left the trap until saturday and we will see what we got.This hole might dry up quick?
I'm using bread just like pikeking recomended.
I'm new at this.
Thanks guys

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Bread, catfood & dog food here put in a small mesh bag inside the trap.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I went out with the throw net today and got about 50 common shiners in about 10 minutes. I threw a bunch of bread in one area and waited to see if the bread was moving.
The water looked like it was boiling, I threw the net(which isn't easy to do correctly) and got about 10 on the first try. On the next throw, I got lucky and got about 40 more. That was enough for the day in my bait bucket.
Off to Foxwoods in the morning so I will have to leave the traps one extra day for a longer soak.
Come on GOLDIES

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Sounds like you need to make a shiner guy training video.  I'm having no luck thus far. 
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:37 PM »
keep trying look for small ponds and always keep an eye open when driving I've almost crashed a few times lookin at sweet lookin little ponds  ;D
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:04 PM »
same here Ron.....gotta keep my eyes on the road...

Hey PK...what kind or brand of throw net do you have...

K

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:30 PM »
It's an AHI 600 Pro Series 5' radius from Cabela's. I think it was around 40 bucks.

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:03 PM »
keep trying look for small ponds and always keep an eye open when driving I've almost crashed a few times lookin at sweet lookin little ponds  ;D
Would small marshy areas work? I have a cattail marsh thats about 5 acres within 5 minutes of my house. I used to play hockey on it when I was a kid and I know it's at least 6ft deep  ;)
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:15 PM »
I would bet there is a ton of bait in there. You will just need to find it. Check near the cattails, or overhanging bushes, or trees or logs in the water. I throw pieces of bread in the water to see if it moves, If it does they are there. You will need to catch some to see what and how big they are. Or you can check it al night with a bright flash light, shine it in the water around the shores they are usually close to the shore.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:33 PM »
stale danish is a good bait. ;)2
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:41 PM »
hey do you guys break the bread up no not at church in the water.i moved some traps from a farm pond wit nuttin to a more weedy grassy pond shiners like the vegitation so i shined the light and they scatterd .sweet cant wait . ;)
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Told you the light works for spotting them! I just stuff the bread in one of the holes. I guess I am breaking it up. If you use a green light they will congrigate to that area in droves. Check it out on youtube, under catching bait. I used the throw net today with some success around 50 common shiners.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2008, 03:29 PM »
I set traps for the small stuff and jig for the goldens. We jig the various coves and marinas on the CT River. If the weeds aren't bad, we jig with Sabiki rigs tipped with spikes under a slip float. In the weeds we are throwing small ice jigs tipped with a spike. We've been having a ball on ultra light gear, some of the bigger pondies are actually taking drag!

Offline warrenbassmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:50 AM »
if you can find the shiners/minnows it is way cheaper than buying them. at walmart minnow traps are around 6 dollars, and that expence will pay of maybe the first time you trap the minnows. I found that salt-tine crackers and bread mixed works great. the best place i found to trap minnows is in a small (beaver) pond that no one has been at. i have been trapping since late october and have been trapping 300 minnows a day for the last past 2 weeks.
Salmon-the other pink meat

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Nice job warrenbassmaster.My spot might have dryed up and it's time to look for another.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:10 AM »
if you can find the shiners/minnows it is way cheaper than buying them. at walmart minnow traps are around 6 dollars, and that expence will pay of maybe the first time you trap the minnows. I found that salt-tine crackers and bread mixed works great. the best place i found to trap minnows is in a small (beaver) pond that no one has been at. i have been trapping since late october and have been trapping 300 minnows a day for the last past 2 weeks.
good job got any pics of some goldens ?  :tipup:

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2008, 02:31 PM »
good to see you today jeeps, i think you'll be happy with that tub, once you get it set up. nice to have bait when you want it, plus the ones you have left over from a trip, you can save for the next trip.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2008, 02:41 PM »
Thanks for the tub, i've got it set up already, now i need some bait!!

some pics of the tub with modifictions i made:

how it started

made a cut in the plywood top and added some plexi to let some light into the tank,(white around the plexi is silcone, only had grey in the house, and it's a baittank, doen't need to be pretty)  to make it easier to pick out the shiners

cut a hole in the side, addded a 100 gallon aquarium filter that filters 400 GPH
outside:

inside:

now i just have to hope this place produces(if you can identify the place, go ahead and trap there)

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Got some nice bait today. About 15 fall fish and some small perch that I will return for all on hook and line.

J. Cotier

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:09 PM »
tried the hook and worm method today with no luck. :'(... I can't wait to pull up the traps tommorow

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Try fresh white bagel or english muffin on the hook /dace a dime a dozen /letting the traps soak for 3 days this time and i can finally say i know what gold looks like.Got 1 the other day /not huge but size of a medium so i threw out a couple traps there.The dace i have been catching on the ultra light got about 30 so far and they are everywhere.I caught 2 yesterday the size of a brookie.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:48 PM »
nice job John I cant find dace anywhere here in se mass but my traping has be slow so far .
I got two ponds with traps in been geting 4 6 per trap ?????

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:59 PM »
nice job John I cant find dace anywhere here in se mass but my traping has be slow so far .
I got two ponds with traps in been geting 4 6 per trap ?????
Well i still cant seem to do well on the trapping other than the other day.so like i said i will let them sit another day.But the dace i will keep them coming.Your not from where i am Ron.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Do you guys let the traps you get at Wal-Mart just sit on the bottom with the bait or are you suspending them?  I tried last year and couldn't catch a thing in those traps?  What am I doing wrong?  Is it just the body of water I was trapping in?  I was letting mine sit on the bottom.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:13 PM »
You are supposed to close them up with the clip proveded with them and put some bread in it. :clap:

Also let it sit there for a few days in a shady spot preferably under a bush or some kind of cover. Some guys suspend them when there is ice, as far as I know.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Do you guys let the traps you get at Wal-Mart just sit on the bottom with the bait or are you suspending them?  I tried last year and couldn't catch a thing in those traps?  What am I doing wrong?  Is it just the body of water I was trapping in?  I was letting mine sit on the bottom.
I have had places that produce for 3 yrs not produce this year keep trying new spots . Like PK said I have tried suspendig traps and never hit .  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Ahhhh...thanks for that worldly tip Pikeking....LOL... I "REALIZE" your supposed to put the 2 halves together before sinking them to the bottom with bread.   :blink:  just haven't had any luck?  I also tried it in the dead of winter in a brook.  Do you guys still get them in the middle of winter or is this a late fall early winter thing?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.