Author Topic: wasted years  (Read 12862 times)

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
wasted years
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:15 AM »
I'm sitting at work wishing it was closer to winter and how fond of ice fishing I have grown. All the wasted years when I lived in the coldest state in the nation (North Dakota) and how I couldn't wait to get out of there but while I lived there didn't take advantage of where I lived to busy gettin into trouble chasing girls and all the extra curricular activity I could find.  Now I live in Nebraska and pretty much any chance I get I go back and fish whether its soft or hard.  Kinda funny when I was younger couldn't wait to get out now I can't wait to go back.  Just curious if some of you ever look back and think what was I thinking.

Offline buffaloice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wasted years
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:54 AM »
yea,if i had it to do over i would definitly have started ice fishing alot sooner(started at about 25 now im 39) seems like i am just starting to get the hang of it ;)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:15 AM »
i agree. i didn't start until i was 21. i'm 46 now, and still wish i had more years under my belt. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I think most of of us had those years. My wasted years where fom 18-28. At 36 now Most of my life revolves around fishing and my family.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Just started fishing a couple of years at 43. Wish I started years ago.  :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I started ice fishing only 5 years ago.  I'm now 65.  I should have started 38 years ago when I moved to Northern NJ.  Now the winters are getting milder and the ice is getting thinner.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:57 PM »
I started last year at age 21.  20 years too late

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Started when I was 25.   Now I am 33.     I had oppertunity, but other things took precedence.    Drinking, women, and other things maybe not so nice.

Once I got married and settled down, I have found things such as ice fishing, that are much nicer.

I still have the occasional beer with the fishing though. ;D

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Well I'm happy to see that im not the only one.  I am one of those that is now 30 live in Nebraska where we get ice but not like in North Dakota and the fishin isnt as good but can't complain. I was lookin back and I lived in ND for 12 yrs and only went ice fishin 2 maybe 3 times and I think now what a waste.

I remember the first time I went out with a couple of buddies mind you this was the first time I had about 50 lbs of clothes on cause I didn't want to get cold.  got stuck in the truck clear to the axles spent about an hour and a half digging it outgot on the ice i couldn't believe we were driving on the ice get to where we want to drill holes step out of the truck and I hear this thunder and I could swear the ice was shaking like we were going to go through I did a 3 ft. vertical and started sprinting while I was still in the air hit the ground running went about 25 yards and looked back the 2 guys I was with were rolling on the ground askin me what are you doin I just looked down and said not gonna fall in they said get back over here and help drill holes.  I watched the first hole get drilled and it was 36" thick. I said you gotta be kiddin they laughed and asked if I was worried about fallin through I said suppose not.  Needless to say it was a great day fishin and drinkin all was good makes me wonder what I thought was so much more fun about chasin women

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:58 PM »
yup im 18 years old now and i started ice fishing when i was 13, i wish i would have started when i was born!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I really miss ice fishing already.  I kind of miss the olden days of hand augers and fly reels converted to depth finders with fingernail polish 2' increments, and kerosene stoves...home made tippys and 4 sweatshirts on.   No vexy, no heater buddy, no GPS.  Just a homemade sled and shanty.  But I gotta admit...the soft glow of the GPS in the pitch black on the 4-wheeler...flying across an untouched 3 inches of powder hunting down a waypoint to an undetectable reef.  Nice smell of the humming 4-stroke drilling holes...breaking the chem sticks for the tip up flags...the smell of the bacon, the hum of the vexilar, the sound of walleyes laboring to do the slow thrashing on the ice outside the door.  One light sweat shirt on...glancing out the window for a green light stick superimposed on an infinite black background.  The footrace to the tippy with a bouncing head lamp winning the race.  The sound of your parka being pulled off the frame pole of your hut by a fish after you hastily shoved your rod in the sleeve.  The smell of burning goose down and nylon on the grate of a Mr Buddy heater...the sounds of pre dawn profanity being screamed into the nothingness of the unbroken horizon...the ensuing credit card abuse to right the wrong perpetrated against you by an unholy anti-icefishing diety the power of which.....

Yeah....I miss ice fishing. :-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:56 PM »
I really miss ice fishing already.  I kind of miss the olden days of hand augers and fly reels converted to depth finders with fingernail polish 2' increments, and kerosene stoves...home made tippys and 4 sweatshirts on.   No vexy, no heater buddy, no GPS.  Just a homemade sled and shanty.  But I gotta admit...the soft glow of the GPS in the pitch black on the 4-wheeler...flying across an untouched 3 inches of powder hunting down a waypoint to an undetectable reef.  Nice smell of the humming 4-stroke drilling holes...breaking the chem sticks for the tip up flags...the smell of the bacon, the hum of the vexilar, the sound of walleyes laboring to do the slow thrashing on the ice outside the door.  One light sweat shirt on...glancing out the window for a green light stick superimposed on an infinite black background.  The footrace to the tippy with a bouncing head lamp winning the race.  The sound of your parka being pulled off the frame pole of your hut by a fish after you hastily shoved your rod in the sleeve.  The smell of burning goose down and nylon on the grate of a Mr Buddy heater...the sounds of pre dawn profanity being screamed into the nothingness of the unbroken horizon...the ensuing credit card abuse to right the wrong perpetrated against you by an unholy anti-icefishing diety the power of which.....

Yeah....I miss ice fishing. :-)
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Yea I agree with all said But as a youth chasing women still doesn't beat icefishing. True catch and release

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2008, 12:40 PM »
I started last year at age 21.  20 years too late

Oh so agreed.. Ive done the same thing...I ice fished before..but not as much as I crave for it now. But at least I was wise and married a girl who likes to fish and whos family is in the sporting goods buisness. Every day she comes home with more tackle. ::)

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2008, 12:55 PM »
wish i had kept with it way back when, i was 16 the first time and then have done it a few times in between 34 now but started back ice fishen again last yr with a friends husband . he knows oneida like the back of his hand  we limited out every time out last yr now i cant wait for the ice to be back

icewagon

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2008, 10:29 PM »
I think all you guys should stop icefishing , and wasting your good time and money. Then send me all your hot spots on your best lakes . Then I'll go fish them and tell you how I did . :icefish: :whistle:

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2008, 10:11 AM »
I need to get your email.  My company farms out enough services to 3rd party providers.  I was thinking...why am I getting up early and braving the cold and snow??  I could hire most of this stuff done  Some GPS coords, provide the gear and a bait stipend.  Web cam in the shanty...and all of a sudden, I'm practically fishing my self!!  You could even get drunk for me.  However, you will also be responsible to talking with my wife after fishing all day.  I mean... just because you are going to be fishing for me, doesn't mean I'm going to be spending time with the ball and chain.  I will still take advantage of more attractive activities to do....like sitting behind the furnace in the basement with my knees pulled up to my chest, rocking back and forth crying softly.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2008, 02:07 PM »
I was very lucky, my father started taking me ice fishing when I was 4 or 5 years old, I'm 60 now and I fully understand the gift that he gave me by starting me fishing and hunting at such a young age.  As far as the girl chasing goes I agree it was a lot of wasted time however catching one once in a while wasn't so bad.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I was very lucky, my father started taking me ice fishing when I was 4 or 5 years old, I'm 60 now and I fully understand the gift that he gave me by starting me fishing and hunting at such a young age.  As far as the girl chasing goes I agree it was a lot of wasted time however catching one once in a while wasn't so bad.  :tipup:
I am as lucky as you.As most of you know already i have thanked and told my dad a million times i love him and thank you for starting me hunting and fishing so early in my life(around 3 was the first time actually fishing or hunting) and i am 40 now. I am doing the same thing with my 3 year old she caught her first gills through the ice this season!!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Wish I would have started earlier than 40. It would have been the perfect thing to keep me busy and out of trouble in the winter months. Not to mention a cold beer or two. Dont even have to stop for ice!!

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:25 PM »
I used to go ice fishing with my grandpa and other family when I was a kid, I really loved being out on the ice...but when I got into high school I left it behind for 18 years until last year I started up again...I have no idea why I waited so long to get back into ice fishing except to plead insanity!  Speaking of getting back into it...the bill just gets bigger and bigger to get all the gear I want (showdown, jig poles, tipups, auger and shanty) still need an auger and heater...but gotta spend if you want the right stuff eh fellas?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:24 PM »
I'm sitting at work wishing it was closer to winter and how fond of ice fishing I have grown. All the wasted years when I lived in the coldest state in the nation (North Dakota) and how I couldn't wait to get out of there but while I lived there didn't take advantage of where I lived to busy gettin into trouble chasing girls and all the extra curricular activity I could find.  Now I live in Nebraska and pretty much any chance I get I go back and fish whether its soft or hard.  Kinda funny when I was younger couldn't wait to get out now I can't wait to go back.  Just curious if some of you ever look back and think what was I thinking.
the thought comes to my head quite a bit and i have been hard and soft water fishing for three and a half decades.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I am fourtunate as I have been fishing hard and soft water for 15 years know at the age of 16
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:25 PM »
I haven't missed much. I knew chasing women was a waste from older brothers and sisters. Might of lost a day or two to alcohol.  Mostly the waste is in living where I do not farther south or north.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:37 AM »

I have been fishing hardwater since I was 8 years old. I lived on Long Lake in Littleton MA and back then, we had about 30 kids in the neighborhood, back when no one locked doors and you would walk into the nieghbors house like you owned the place... ah  those were the good ole days!  I am 52 now. Still use the original box (dad made for me), tilts, jig stick my dad carved for me, etc. etc.. (see avitar).  When all my neighborhood freinds went ice skating, my childhood buddy (who I still fish with to this day) and I would fish. But here is the thing....

I lost my dad 2 years ago (the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life!)  :'( and he lived in NC retired with Mom. I would always end my conversations with Dad with "I love you Pop". He taught me everything I know, Carpentry, hot rod building, and boating (large and small) and anything else he was into!
When he died, I cried like a baby for one reason, I NEVER got the chance to tell Dad, "Thank you for everything you did for us!" I have 7 siblings and I am dead smack in the middle.

So, word to the wise.... Even though your Dad KNOWS you love him, don't make the mistake I did, and Thank him for what he did for you and what he tought you!  When I fish, my dad is sitting right next to me and we have a nice little chat, not the least of which my asking him to send the Monstah over to my tilt!  ;D

Flaggs!

Vintage 1962!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:12 AM »
I have been fishing hardwater since I was 8 years old. I lived on Long Lake in Littleton MA and back then, we had about 30 kids in the neighborhood, back when no one locked doors and you would walk into the nieghbors house like you owned the place... ah  those were the good ole days!  I am 52 now. Still use the original box (dad made for me), tilts, jig stick my dad carved for me, etc. etc.. (see avitar).  When all my neighborhood freinds went ice skating, my childhood buddy (who I still fish with to this day) and I would fish. But here is the thing....

I lost my dad 2 years ago (the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life!)  :'( and he lived in NC retired with Mom. I would always end my conversations with Dad with "I love you Pop". He taught me everything I know, Carpentry, hot rod building, and boating (large and small) and anything else he was into!
When he died, I cried like a baby for one reason, I NEVER got the chance to tell Dad, "Thank you for everything you did for us!" I have 7 siblings and I am dead smack in the middle.

So, word to the wise.... Even though your Dad KNOWS you love him, don't make the mistake I did, and Thank him for what he did for you and what he tought you!  When I fish, my dad is sitting right next to me and we have a nice little chat, not the least of which my asking him to send the Monstah over to my tilt!  ;D

Flaggs!

Vintage 1962!
(Image removed from quote.)
right on brother man, missed my opertunity in 1992 when my dad passedand am sorry i missed the oppertunity!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Im only 26 and have been fishing since I was in diapers. I know becasue I have seen pics on my dads leg holding a pike. My dad is now 54. Thinking back at all those years when I should have asked him to go fishing instead of running around chasing girls and booze makes me feel bad. What makes him the best is he understands.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Having lived in Maryland all my life, the ice season is short. Maybe two months. Sometimes one, in the coldest part of the state-Deep Creek. I've been fishin' for fourty years and ice fishing for the last four. I would give up 39 of those years for one more year of ice fishing. I work in Virginia, which has no ice and everyone thinks I am crazy because I love winter. Ice Fishing is it for me, this will probably be my last weekend and I am all ready looking forward to next year's ice.
Nice thread, really enjoyed it. Thanks.
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Having lived in Maryland all my life, the ice season is short. Maybe two months. Sometimes one, in the coldest part of the state-Deep Creek. I've been fishin' for fourty years and ice fishing for the last four. I would give up 39 of those years for one more year of ice fishing. I work in Virginia, which has no ice and everyone thinks I am crazy because I love winter. Ice Fishing is it for me, this will probably be my last weekend and I am all ready looking forward to next year's ice.
Nice thread, really enjoyed it. Thanks.
BoydChurch.. I like you a lot already and would love to meet you and have you come up!  ;D Please, if you ever have a chance to come when your in ice-out mode, please be sure to post up and ask for the mass Shanty 'club coconut' guys!  :cookoo: I think I can speak for a bunch of guys I love fishing with when I say, we would LOVE to have you up for a weekend!  After all, MD is not THAT far way when it comes to Ice Fishing!   ;)2 We can bring you to all our 'secret' spots! 8)

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:34 PM »
BoydChurch.. I like you a lot already and would love to meet you and have you come up!  ;D Please, if you ever have a chance to come when your in ice-out mode, please be sure to post up and ask for the mass Shanty 'club coconut' guys!  :cookoo: I think I can speak for a bunch of guys I love fishing with when I say, we would LOVE to have you up for a weekend!  After all, MD is not THAT far way when it comes to Ice Fishing!   ;)2 We can bring you to all our 'secret' spots! 8)

Flaggs!

Flaggs, thanks. I am pretty preoccupied with my daughters right now but those responsibilities will be less in the coming ice seasons. That's why ice season is about over for me. But, hey I am in it for the long run. I will remember your post. Also, if you like to catch 5 different species out of one hole, I'd like to return the invite. Good luck.
Cheers,
Boyd

"Hey, you got any maggots?" Only an ice fisherman would not start a fight over this question.
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.